What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.30_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since it seems that even with clear folder names people are getting confused about the two versions, I will most likely do the same thing Asus did, and delete all incompatible firmwares in a few weeks, once I have the last remaining regressions sorted out (i.e. TAP OpenVPN tunnels).

The AiCloud security issues in those older builds are another incentive for me to totally get rid of them anyway.

Any idea about the difference in terms of the need to sign in/password working in .270 versions but not in .370's for USB attached hard drives?

I know that the preferred process when going from a .270 build to a .3xx build is to clear out the NVRAM and start over from a clean config, though what is the issue that could come up if the NVRAM wasn't cleared?

Using this new version(RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_372.30_2-dw), my RT-AC66U cannot detect anymore my 4G modem (it work perfectly with previous version-RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_354.29-BETA1-dw). Below is log after insert my modem-

Dec 31 17:06:37 kernel: usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
Dec 31 17:06:37 kernel: usb 1-1.2: configuration #34 chosen from 1 choice
Dec 31 17:06:37 kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Dec 31 17:06:39 kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM GCT Semi CD-ROM 312e PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
Dec 31 17:06:39 kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
Dec 31 17:06:40 kernel: usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, address 6
Dec 31 17:06:40 kernel: usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
Dec 31 17:06:40 kernel: usb 1-1.2: configuration #17 chosen from 1 choice

My router detect my modem as "M-WiMAX Network Adaptor" for previous version.

Any idea about the difference in terms of the need to sign in/password working in .270 versions but not in .370's for USB attached hard drives?

It works correctly for me. Are you sure it's not your Windows Explorer having your credentials cached? For instance, if the Windows login name is the same as the one giving access to a share, Windows automatically provides it to the server, allowing you direct access.

One easy way to test this is to remove all users access on a test share, then add a totally new user.

Double check as well that you do have User Sharing enabled on the router - by default it will share to anyone without enforcing any user-level access control.

I know that the preferred process when going from a .270 build to a .3xx build is to clear out the NVRAM and start over from a clean config, though what is the issue that could come up if the NVRAM wasn't cleared?

Wireless issues for starter - I know that some of the wireless-related lowlevel settings are different under 3xx than 270. Still using the old 270 settings can lead to unexpected behaviour in this case.

There's been numerous reports of other random issues as well that were resolved when people did an nvram reset and reconfigured their router from scratch.

"your Windows Explorer having your credentials cached?"

Could be but that doesn't explain one working and one not.

With 270 once logged in I'm good for that session. Turn computer off or reboot, I have to log back into the USB attached hard drive again.

With 370 I never get asked to log in.

Same laptop and same desk top accessing the USB attached drive.

If I'm getting in without being asked with 370 and that is working as designed then 270 is broken and shouldn't be asking but is?

Edit: I also have a memory card internally as well as the USB attached hard drive.

Last edited:
I am now being asked for logon/password with 370. Dumb luck but here's what fixed it.

I went into the USB Misc tab just to try changing those variables and testing.

The router's name has been Asus RT-N66 since day 1.

I changed the Master Browser from On to Off and saved.

Would not save. Said the name Asus RT-66 had invalid characters.

I shortened it up to RT-N66U, no spaces and Asus gone.

I was asked logon/password to access the USB attached devices.

270 name had been "Asus RT-N66" and I was asked sign on credentials.

370 name same "Asus RT-N66" I don't get asked sign on credentials.

I do not know why it works or doesn't. Just wanted to report what I stumbled across.

Jim

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Last edited:
Wireless issues for starter - I know that some of the wireless-related lowlevel settings are different under 3xx than 270. Still using the old 270 settings can lead to unexpected behaviour in this case.

There's been numerous reports of other random issues as well that were resolved when people did an nvram reset and reconfigured their router from scratch.
Got it. I just have a number of items in port forwarding that I need to copy down before wiping the router.

Hi Merlin. Thanks as always for your hard work.

Given the need to reset to default settings might be a common one and a number of people including myself have lots of settings that they have to write down and re-enter (eg DHCP reservations, QoS, Parental, Ports etc). Is there any way to generate a backup file which would reset only the key settings to defaults but allow people to retain their settings which are time consuming to recreate?

Hi Merlin. Thanks as always for your hard work.

Given the need to reset to default settings might be a common one and a number of people including myself have lots of settings that they have to write down and re-enter (eg DHCP reservations, QoS, Parental, Ports etc). Is there any way to generate a backup file which would reset only the key settings to defaults but allow people to retain their settings which are time consuming to recreate?

Been documented many times...

e.g. I prefer to edit the the dumped NVRAM DHCP_STATIC list to my Wintel box so I can sort/re-order the entries in the variable prior to restoring them.

So basically I have 3 scripts;

1. to restore DHCP table.
2. to restore OpenVPN keys/PPTD server settings
3. to restore 'General' settings such as shown below:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Reset my RT-N66U configuration following a Firmware Factory reset

logger -t "($(basename $0))" Reconfiguring RT-N66U NVRAM to Martineau configuration

# Dump ALL RT-N66U NVRAM settings
#
#      nvram show > /mnt/RT-N66U/Merlin_Backup/NVRAM.txt

# EXPORT specific settings to USB mounted storage
#        nvram get dhcp_staticlist > /mnt/RT-N66U/Merlin_Backup/dhcp.txt
#After resetting to factory mode; IMPORT specific settings with:
#        nvram set dhcp_staticlist="`cat /mnt/RT-N66U/Merlin_Backup/dhcp.txt`"

# This clears out ALL NVRAM ; same as holding WPS button at POWER ON
# mtd-erase -d nvram

nvram set dhcp_start="10.88.8.200"
nvram set dhcp_end="10.88.8.250"
nvram set log_ipaddr="10.88.8.195"

nvram set ntp_server0="uk.pool.ntp.org"
time_zone_x="GMT0DST,M3.5.0/1,M10.4.0/2"

etc.

Hi,

I was already thinking in this direction. It should be feasable to create a simple linux script to write the settings to file and read them back to nvram.
It was already discussed some time ago in this forum and just need somebody to make it.

Maybe I will find the time in the next days for such a small backup/restore function... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hello all how make username in this merlin version as root?When i try change username in webif to root i get this error "User's account cannot be 'root', 'guest' or 'anonymous'! Please enter a valid account". I use username root on all routers.Please help thanks

@brummygit

RMerlin says that that idea has been on the cards for a while. That would be so handy I would donate a second time.

TBH, that is what is stopping me from upgrading ATM. I will need to tale LOADS of screen shots with the old settings in order to re-enter them.

Regards

DrT

Hello all how make username in this merlin version as root?When i try change username in webif to root i get this error "User's account cannot be 'root', 'guest' or 'anonymous'! Please enter a valid account". I use username root on all routers.Please help thanks
Hi,

This was posted and answered already in your other thread.
Please do not double post, double post thing! :mad:

With kind regards

Hi,

Just reporting in - upgraded to 30_3 last night N66U. I cannot get the OpenVPN to start. I know this has been reported previously but wanted to add my data point. Let me know if you need anything from me.

Thanks for your efforts!

Poor Mans Backup and Restore

Hi,

I was already thinking in this direction. It should be feasable to create a simple linux script to write the settings to file and read them back to nvram.
It was already discussed some time ago in this forum and just need somebody to make it.

Maybe I will find the time in the next days for such a small backup/restore function... :rolleyes:

With kind regards

Ok, wanting to give the latest stock Asus FW a spin (but not willing to give up all the neat settings I have done with Merlins code...

Does this sequence work?:

1) In latest 372.30_2 WebUI, Adminstration->Restore/Save/Upload Setting select Save Setting.

2) Assuming Entware installed, backup jffs to /ext{3 or 4} partition. Since all the opkg installs goto the /ext partition, they should be safe and sound.

3) Copy /usr/sbin/entware-setup.sh to /ext{3 or 4} partition

4) Copy copy any .conf files such as minidlna to /ext{3 or 4} partition

Then, erase nvram, install Asuswrt (non Merlin) latest. In new Asus WebUI restore the previous saved settings.
Check/enable jffs.
Restore the backed up /jffs files
Copy entware-setup.sh back to /usr/sbin. Run /usr/sbin/entware-setup.sh
Restore saved .conf files.
Reboot router

It seems you would have a "mini" version of Merlin.

You can always erase nvram, reload Merlins 372.30_2, and reverse the above 4 steps.

This assumes that the 372.30_2 "Saved Settings" can be restored into Asus stock latest. Merlin - does that work?

Thanks
jjg

I tried adding the right stuff to /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, and was able to allow root to log in. Didn't go into setting a password for root, though, so removed what I added immediately.

Seems like if it were possible to add the "su" and "passwd" commands on the router that one could make root an account that could be easily used when needed, so there must be something that I'm missing about why you shouldn't just add "login-ability" for root?

Problem with parant controls

Hi.
Great that the officia .372 fw resolves the ie issues with parant controls (long for rmerlins release) but I have another strange issue with Rmerlin version of .372.2 build. When I activate parant control the machine that is affected can not connect to internet at any time even if the current time is allowed. This has worked just fine in the older version but not anymore. Can anyone else confirm this issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online