What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can't update to 35_2, it upload the file (correct one, check double) but on system info is keep 34_2.

Try also to clear the cache but still remain 34_2.

Any hel woul dbe appreciated...

Ok solved... Done with IE, with Chrome nothing...:confused:

Another question, the best save location for traffic monitor ?

Nvram or usb?

To keep the date after a reboot.

Tnx

If you think that's bad, take a look at the RT-N66U. Asus/Broadcom botched the new SDK back in March of 2013. They came out with a workaround that fixed connectivity issues and security issues (SDK 6). SDK 6 was never intended to be used on the RT-N66U. And it has significantly reduced the wireless range.

Oh sure, you can use .276 but you have to live with security issues unless you use Merlin's SDK5 experimental firmware.

The RT-N66U is still Asus' top selling router on Amazon. But all Asus does is keep putting out firmware updates for the AC68U. Do they really think RT-N66U owners are not paying attention to this? They must.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/300189/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_3_last

What you said is true but the Merlin SDK5 might be in the experimental folder but its the same firmware less PPOE and some kind of Xbox improvement. I may have the terms wrong im sure someone will correct me. Anyway flashed it an hour or so ago and so far no issues.

Last edited:
has really no one has the same 5ghz wifi problems i had? my signal strength went down to like 80db on a macbook 10 ft away, switch back to merlin 374.34 and it went back to 68-70db right away, i also had very bad qos problems

has really no one has the same 5ghz wifi problems i had? my signal strength went down to like 80db on a macbook 10 ft away, switch back to merlin 374.34 and it went back to 68-70db right away, i also had very bad qos problems

Mine actually did the reverse of that with this release. It was around 80 and went to around 68, after passing a couple walls. As for QoS, I only had problems when I set the upload capacity higher than my line offers.

Edited to mention this was with RT-AC68U

Last edited:
I can't believe that there is no time machine support for ac66u. i know about the licensing fee and everything but i still think Asus should have covered it

Find me one device that you bought which had new major features added 18 months after the device started selling, and especially one that increases the cost for manufacturing the said device. I can't think of a single one.

Asus is a business, not a non-profit organization. Business that don't make money go the way of the dodo...

i feel like a fool for buying it

Uh, why? When were you told that Time Machine was going to be implemented on some of their routers? Did your RT-AC66U suddenly lose functionalities? You got exactly what you paid for. And you are in fact getting more, as there are plenty of other features that were added by Asus since then. So in effect, you are already getting MORE than what was advertised originally.

Last edited:
so 5ghz is definitely WORSE for me in this build

That doesn't make any sense considering that there has been zero change in the wireless driver for the RT-AC66U in months.

I took a quick look at your screenshots, and my first conclusion is that you are simply bottlenecked by your upstream. Downstream traffic requires upstream traffic to send back ACK packets. 3.5 Mbits of upstream is simply not enough to properly handle 100 Mbits of downstream in a sustainable way. It's not caused by any mythical bufferbloat issue, it's just a common issue with asymmetrical connections that are so poorly balanced. Try increasing your upstream, it should already help.

That doesn't make any sense considering that there has been zero change in the wireless driver for the RT-AC66U in months.

I took a quick look at your screenshots, and my first conclusion is that you are simply bottlenecked by your upstream. Downstream traffic requires upstream traffic to send back ACK packets. 3.5 Mbits of upstream is simply not enough to properly handle 100 Mbits of downstream in a sustainable way. It's not caused by any mythical bufferbloat issue, it's just a common issue with asymmetrical connections that are so poorly balanced. Try increasing your upstream, it should already help.

I have never worked with router firmware specifically...but I have done some software coding...

Just because you don't change one part of program...doesn't meant that it won't be affected by other changes made elsewhere. I can't tell you how many time I have debugged and re-written sections of perfectly good code...only to eventually discover the issue was caused by something else I had done to an unrelated part of the the program.

The RT-N66U is still Asus' top selling router on Amazon. But all Asus does is keep putting out firmware updates for the AC68U. Do they really think RT-N66U owners are not paying attention to this? They must.

Having been around this forum for the past 18+ months, I can tell you that the same complain came back every time Asus released a new router, and every time the complains about Asus having abandonned them were proven unfounded. People said that when the RT-AC66U came out, they said that when the RT-AC56U came out, and now they are doing it again with the RT-AC68U.

What Asus always does when they release a new router is focus on that router for a few months as they sort out issues that are specific to that device (as more often than not they seem to have rushed the device to market before the firmware was mature enough). Once they are done adressing those issues, they come back to their previous devices and also release updates for them, incorporating most of the fix/changes that they had done with the latest top-of-the-line. So trust me, once the RT-AC68U will be more stable, you can be sure you will see FW updates for the N16, N66 and AC66U.

And also I think people are exaggerating. Look at the release date for the last RT-N16 or RT-N66U firmware. The way they are saying it is as if they hadn't had a FW update in the past 6 months, which is not the case.

And compare that to the last release date of a FW for any Netgear or Linksys router that was released at the same time as either of these two.

If you get -80 dBm 10 feet away (or even -70 dBm), then I suspect you have a hardware issue with either the router, its antennas, or the Macbook's wifi/antennas.
I'm currently sitting about 15 feet away from my RT-AC68U and having -36 dBm on the 5 GHz band. My RT-AC66U isn't currently on, but when I was doing some tests with it a few weeks ago, I was getting around -55 or -60 dBm going through a wall.

makes 0 sense, i can show you 50-100 results of me getting 97 down 3.8 up, and then another 100 results of me getting 97 down 5 up (qos disabled) something changed, as for 5GHz i am 100% positive it got worse in my situation, this could all be related to the router having a higher load when using ip traffic and qos, which of the 2 facts would u like me to provide evidence for you can't argue with, i can do it for both its just annoying cause i needa wait till people arent using the internet or else its just hell for them.

ideally later tonight ill make a video all in 1 showing the macbook sitting in the same spot and signal dropping by 10db so its not argueable, i can also do the same thing with the qos problem, but since i got it working now, here is proof my qos works right on 374.34_0

look i just ran a test right now, NOT ON 374.35 and look. first try http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3125605698 - keep in mind that is with 5 active devices using the network lightly, i always get 95-97 when no one is using it, here are my results from las night when i got it fixed http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3108880833

plz explain this, im not making it up. every merlin firmware update i have noticed little to no performance change, these 2 changes are massive.

plz explain this, im not making it up. every merlin firmware update i have noticed little to no performance change, these 2 changes are massive.

I'm not contesting your results, I'm just saying the reason for these isn't what you think.

Download link in the first post is down again. Thank You Merlin.

Download link in the first post is down again. Thank You Merlin.

Works for me. Clear your browser cache, you might have the old redirection cached.

System Log Question

I was getting 100's of entries in my RT-AC68U log:

[Timestamp]: miniupnpd[5321]: sendto(udp): Operation not permitted.

I turned off uPnp and it stopped. Is this a bug or a configuration problem on my end? It occurred on both Merlin builds I installed (34 and 35).

Thanks!

I was getting 100's of entries in my RT-AC68U log:

[Timestamp]: miniupnpd[5321]: sendto(udp): Operation not permitted.

I turned off uPnp and it stopped. Is this a bug or a configuration problem on my end? It occurred on both Merlin builds I installed (34 and 35).

Thanks!

What uPNP clients do you have on your network? I suspect it could be one of them not having updated its forwards properly, or trying to forward a port it can't forward.

I have never worked with router firmware specifically...but I have done some software coding...

Just because you don't change one part of program...doesn't meant that it won't be affected by other changes made elsewhere. I can't tell you how many time I have debugged and re-written sections of perfectly good code...only to eventually discover the issue was caused by something else I had done to an unrelated part of the the program.

This is an RT-AC66U (skyrealm) running 374.34_2, with one wall between the router and the client:

http://www.lostrealm.ca/temp/rssi_34_2.png

This is the same router, running 374.35_2:

http://www.lostrealm.ca/temp/rssi_35_2.png

Skyrealm68 is the RT-AC68U which was in the same room as the test laptop.

The only thing outside of the wireless driver that can affect it is the initialization code, which configures its power levels and timings. This code hasn't been changed either.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!