What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Using the ac66u and 35_2.
Does anybody know the max lenght of the "name" on the manual asigned IP - DHCP list?

I limit it to 15 characters.

Probably because you only have a few compatible clients. I have 32 clients, a lot consisting of Foscam 2.4GHz N IP security cameras. I have no issue with any other 2.4GHz device, but the reception on my security cameras is terrible. I did not have any issues on my RT-N66U, just the RT-AC68U.

Try disabling Beamforming. Some devices seem to have trouble with that.

- once you upload .opn file, there is NO indication in the UI that the file has uploaded correctly

Sure there is. Before the page reloads to apply the uploaded .ovpn, it will display this (see attachment).

Attachments

• upload-ovp.png
    upload-ovp.png
    4 KB · Views: 299
makes 0 sense, i can show you 50-100 results of me getting 97 down 3.8 up, and then another 100 results of me getting 97 down 5 up (qos disabled) something changed, as for 5GHz i am 100% positive it got worse in my situation, this could all be related to the router having a higher load when using ip traffic and qos, which of the 2 facts would u like me to provide evidence for you can't argue with, i can do it for both its just annoying cause i needa wait till people arent using the internet or else its just hell for them.

ideally later tonight ill make a video all in 1 showing the macbook sitting in the same spot and signal dropping by 10db so its not argueable, i can also do the same thing with the qos problem, but since i got it working now, here is proof my qos works right on 374.34_0

look i just ran a test right now, NOT ON 374.35 and look. first try http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3125605698 - keep in mind that is with 5 active devices using the network lightly, i always get 95-97 when no one is using it, here are my results from las night when i got it fixed http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3108880833

plz explain this, im not making it up. every merlin firmware update i have noticed little to no performance change, these 2 changes are massive.

Try removing some variables from your testing scenario. The first to go as merlin said would be the capped upstream. To measure 5 GHz throughput, why add the unpredictability of the WAN provider when you can just test in your own network. Try out LAN Speed Test from a 5 GHz client to a computer hooked up to the router using Ethernet. Running tests at that point should yield more reliable results since the ISP and the 5mbps cap is out of the way.

Edit: You can also use iperf if you are on OS X or Linux, LAN Speed Test is for Windows

Last edited:
Try disabling Beamforming. Some devices seem to have trouble with that.

Thanks Merlin, I have tried everything including disabling beamforming. What has me perplexed though is the security camera performance is much worse during the day. At night several of the cameras come to life and are accessible. I swap between my AC68U and the N66U and there is no issue with the N66U so it is something to do with the AC68U.

I cant seem to get either to work, running _2. Clicking on Turbo Mode in the webgui just selects both options (LED and Overclock), clicking apply just reverts it to LED only. Manually setting the clock via nvram thru telnet, then nvram commit and reboot, doesn't seem to stick, it just reboots and the DDR resets to 533 (it's supposed to be at least 666, I've run Asus's DDR update.)

What is this "Turbo Mode" setting in the webgui I keep hearing everyone speak about and where is it exactly? I've never seen a turbo mode option anywhere and am curious where I can set it at (?). Pretty please. :)

What is this "Turbo Mode" setting in the webgui I keep hearing everyone speak about and where is it exactly? I've never seen a turbo mode option anywhere and am curious where I can set it at (?). Pretty please. :)

Go to "Administration", "Performance Tuning". I assume that is what you are referring to.

Last edited:
Real-time Traffic bug?

Something seems wrong with the Per device Real-time Traffic monitor.
ONLY on the Real-time tab I see a lot of IP addresses I don't use.

My router uses the 10.0.0.254 address.
The DHCP range is 10.0.0.200-10.0.0.250
And I use a few manually assigned IP addresses 10.0.0.101-10.0.0.104

No clue why the 10.0.0.87-10.0.0.100 and 10.0.0.105-10.0.0.119 shows up. :confused:

(Pic shows only a small part of the long list.)

Attachments

• Realtime Traffic.jpg
    Realtime Traffic.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 536
So far so good over here on the AC68U, with hundreds of clients (most wired, but at least 30 or so wireless), and we have everything from the occasional customer with a 802.11b card, all the way up to 3-stream 1300Mb/s AC clients. Also overclocked to 1200MHz and cooled with a decent fan (running 58°C idle, 67°C both cores maxed out). I've edited my smb.conf to allow for 30 clients, although we rarely go over 10 or so, performance does degrade rapidly after about the 4th or so client that connects and starts transferring full speed to our USB3 16TB Drobo.

Things I have noticed that I'd love to be fixed if possible is that on the office AC68U, the Tools screen DOES show the CPU temp: Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 4.27.20 PM.png
But on my home AC68R, it doesn't: Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 4.27.36 PM.png
That's minor though. The big one is overclocking the RAM if you've already run the Asus DDR Update Tool; is it possible? Every time I touch the RAM clock, the thing reboots with 533 as the speed; that's worse than stock (considering Asus conceded that it wasn't enough and released that tool to be competitive with other recent Broadcom offerings on the market)!

Last edited:
...The big one is overclocking the RAM if you've already run the Asus DDR Update Tool; is it possible? Every time I touch the RAM clock, the thing reboots with 533 as the speed; that's worse than stock (considering Asus conceded that it wasn't enough and released that tool to be competitive with other recent Broadcom offerings on the market)!
I wrote a services start and a services stop scripts to set CPU speed at 1000mhz and RAM at 666mhz (running an AC56U). So the router sets those frequencies automatically upon reboot and initial startup. See Merlin's wiki for instructions.
Merlin's Wiki Page

Hi Merlin, im running the AC68 with your latest firmare but I can't understand why my cpu temp is saying 80 degrees when the device is feeling only a bit warm to the touch and even cold on the sides. Are these temperature readings ok?
Also the radio temps are saying 53 for both.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Merlin, im running the AC68 with your latest firmare but I can't understand why my cpu temp is saying 80 degrees when the device is feeling only a bit warm to the touch and even cold on the sides. Are these temperature readings ok?
Also the radio temps are saying 53 for both.

This is the internal CPU temperature, not the external (surface) temperature.

The temperature is returned by the kernel, so unless Broadcom screwed something up (I have no reason to believe they did), it should be accurate.

Something seems wrong with the Per device Real-time Traffic monitor.
ONLY on the Real-time tab I see a lot of IP addresses I don't use.

My router uses the 10.0.0.254 address.
The DHCP range is 10.0.0.200-10.0.0.250
And I use a few manually assigned IP addresses 10.0.0.101-10.0.0.104

No clue why the 10.0.0.87-10.0.0.100 and 10.0.0.105-10.0.0.119 shows up. :confused:

(Pic shows only a small part of the long list.)

These entries are taken from Linux's kernel. If you are totally sure that it's not someone else tapping into your network, I would check your configuration, such as your netmask.

Might be worth taking a look on the Connections page (under System Logs) to see if there are any active connections tracked there.

Things I have noticed that I'd love to be fixed if possible is that on the office AC68U, the Tools screen DOES show the CPU temp: View attachment 1668
But on my home AC68R, it doesn't: View attachment 1669

That's odd. I do check for modelid, which should be the same for both the RT-AC68U and RT-AC68R (odmpid is the one that would be different between both).

That's minor though. The big one is overclocking the RAM if you've already run the Asus DDR Update Tool; is it possible? Every time I touch the RAM clock, the thing reboots with 533 as the speed; that's worse than stock (considering Asus conceded that it wasn't enough and released that tool to be competitive with other recent Broadcom offerings on the market)!

Make sure you try a valid RAM clock, such as 800. I'm not sure if it would be overriden by the FW or the bootloader however.

I wrote a services start and a services stop scripts to set CPU speed at 1000mhz and RAM at 666mhz (running an AC56U). So the router sets those frequencies automatically upon reboot and initial startup. See Merlin's wiki for instructions.
Merlin's Wiki Page

I understand how to write a startup script and apply clocks manually via telnet/ssh, the issue that I'm having I believe is specific to the AC68U/R family, for which Asus released a tool that updated the bootloader to increase the out-of-the-box RAM speed from 533 to 666. The thing is, BEFORE I ran this utility (CFE v.1.0.1.1) I could set the RAM to 800 via nvram set clkfreq=xxxx,800, but since running the update (CFE version now 1.0.1.6), I run that same command and the router resets to stock CPU and RAM speeds (800,533). Setting a higher CPU speed with the "stock" 666 RAM speed is successful (say, 1200,666). I THINK that what's happening is that the values written in NVRAM are being overwritten by the updated bootloader on startup, but this just is a (semi-)educated guess :rolleyes:

Go to "Administration", "Performance Tuning". I assume that is what you are referring to.

I don't see anything there except a way to monitor temps. No "Turbo Mode" or anything like that. Am I missing something?

Make sure you try a valid RAM clock, such as 800. I'm not sure if it would be overriden by the FW or the bootloader however.

Yeah, definitely using valid clocks. As I said, it was working before the bootloader update, so I can only guess that it's related; my guess is until something is changed specifically regarding the changed bootloader, I'm out of luck. I had tried 1000/666, 1100/667, 1200/667, 1200,800, and a few others, all worked fine. Set using nvram set clkfreq=xxxx,xxx, nvram commit, reboot. I realize the difference is small between 1200/666 and 1200/800, but when running a VPN bridge between 2 sites and having 10+ SMB clients connected, every bit counts!

Anyone sees this issue with the huge traffic reported realtime? I'm using a 3G modem Huawey 372 in Dual Wan mode (even if I don't have a primary connection at all)

These entries are taken from Linux's kernel. If you are totally sure that it's not someone else tapping into your network, I would check your configuration, such as your netmask.

Might be worth taking a look on the Connections page (under System Logs) to see if there are any active connections tracked there.

Totally sure no tapping into. Netmask is a basic /24.
Nothing unusual on the Connections page, only valid IP's.

If this happens I also find a "DHCP-Thread" on the Real-time Traffic monitor.
No clue what this is. :confused:

I rebooted the router and keep a close eye on it to see what might trigger this.

Attachments

• DHCP-Thread.jpg
    DHCP-Thread.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 316
I see that Asus has implement openVPN into the RT-AC68U. It is nice to see them embrace open source, this is real kool. Does this merlin build use the asus version for the RT-n66u or is it the merlin version as 3.0.0.4.374.33_0 that I am use to?

This may not be the place but RMerlin you posted in another forum that popped up on a google search that if the jff directory is place up high in the memory that it may stay intact during firmware upgrade. This could be worth a try, if it is not too much trouble could you explain how we place this directory?

Regards

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!