What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N66U
Just went from 36beta1 SDK5 to 38.1em. Did a factory reset after the upgrade.

2.4 & 5ghz are both slightly better signal strength with the new 38.1em. Tested three weak points around my home using a Galaxy Note 2 with Insidder app.

Although no hard data from my many computers in the house, both wired and wireless internet access seems to run faster and smoother.

I'll be sticking with 38.1em for now. ;)

Thanks Merlin!

I can confirm that the '1-em' build is working nicely on my N66U, with wireless speeds very close to the the previous sdk5 build ( with slightly higher throughput ), and as an added bonus it seems the radios are running a couple of degrees cooler too!

Awesome! :D

Hi Merlin,

I have upgraded my N66U from 35_4sdk5 to 38_1-em using your upgrade instructions and I have to say I'm very happy with the EM build.

Wireless has improved slightly, more noticeable on longer distance by around -5db and at a closer distance it is similar but a lot more consistent than before as it was jumping around. Wireless also feels more responsive if that makes sense?

WAN speeds as you may remember i was having problems with being limited to 5000kb/s down and 300kb/s up, now I'm happily back to normal at 12,000kb/s down and 300kb/s up.

All in all, a happy camper. Thank you very much!

...The problem is I am streaming video from router threw the DLNA Server to a WDTV, and right around the 15 minutes mark video stops without any kind of lag, and error comes up ...

Edit: BTW last firmware I used that i am pretty sure this wasn't a issue on was RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.36_beta1.

the same problem as lilstone87 here
... some movies work and some don't ... it's easy to check without waiting 15 minutes - on the movie that couses problem I try to rewind back/forward a few times and streaming crashes ...

I've been streaming a movie to my N7 for over half an hour now, without any problem.

DLNA client compatibility is always iffy in general. A lot of implementations are plain broken, especially with Smart TVs. Look at the amount of device-specific workarounds the Mezzmo DLNA server has to implement every few months when they release a new version (I used to run that server on my desktop).

Anything specific to minidlna will have to be addressed by the minidlna author, I have no intention to study the DLNA protocol and purchase tons of hardware to test and implement work around for specific devices.

that's sad, very sad ... 36_beta is working fine though ....
all (at least ale latest I checked) official versions are broke too ...

Last edited:
RT-AC66U on 38_1,

Parental control doesn't appear to be working, devices cannot access the internet when allowed in the schedule, soon as parental control is turned off either entirely or per device, all is good again. I have set the time zone correctly, tried different browsers, factory reset etc, no luck!
Everything else is great, 5GHz radio has increased from 385Mbps to 866Mbps :D, printer doesn't appear correctly in network map, it appears as 'undefined, undefined' but does still print correctly! Only problem is parental control!

Well liking new firmware a lot, but same issue i was having with some of the older SDK5 releases, is happening on .38_1em build for the N66U. The problem [.....] was RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.36_beta1.

Hi lilstone87,
I had similar problem on SDK6 based firmware.
DLNA streaming stopped, but was not the only service in a fault state.
Wifi (both bands) became not accessible, and router was, in this fault, only available using telnet \ ssh. I had to restart it every time..
With SDK5 based firmware never had a single problem, never... Same TV, same wifi extender... I tried to re-associate the netgear wifi extender but this didn't fix it.

Now I'm going to try latest em firmware, but I have to do a factory reset and a re-configure and this is boring for me :D

Hi lilstone87,
I had similar problem on SDK6 based firmware.
DLNA streaming stopped, but was not the only service in a fault state.
Wifi (both bands) became not accessible, and router was, in this fault, only available using telnet \ ssh. I had to restart it every time..
With SDK5 based firmware never had a single problem, never... Same TV, same wifi extender... I tried to re-associate the netgear wifi extender but this didn't fix it.

Now I'm going to try latest em firmware, but I have to do a factory reset and a re-configure and this is boring for me :D
DLNA is broken in latest as well

Last edited:
Daft question time. Can you build in a button to enable the em switch for the next build ?

This will help people who run into problems :)

Flashed 38_1 on an AC-68U yesterday. My initial results are that wifi performance is pretty much on par with Asus' 501 and 542 releases (which were both about the same for me).

One issue that I haven't tested that much yet: The initial media server scanning never completed after a factory reset. It hung somewhere before it got to my second usb drive. I tried rebooting it, but it usually takes a while to scan so I won't know if it hung again until later today. Could be the case that all I need to do is check the file system for errors. Anyway, once I get it to finish scanning I'll test if it actually serves the content or if I have issues like a few other people reported.

new asus build Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050
Modified:
1. Allowed LAN stateful settings for DHCP6.
2. Allowed manually scan after resetting.
3. Modified DMZ settings in load-balanced mode.
4. Modified virtual server settings in load balanced mode.
5. Modified some FAQ hyperlinks.
6. Modified configurations of WeTelecom WM-D300.

Fixes:
1. Fixed several UI issues.
2. Fixed download master install issue.
3. Fixed VPN client DNS issues.
4. Fixed open VPN manual client list setting issues.
5. Fixed PPPoE throughput issues.
6. Fixed media-server related issues.
7. Fixed httpd vulnerably issues.

Additions:
1. Add new Malaysia 3G ISP in USB modem.
2. Add media-bridge mode.
3. Add OpenVPN, VPN Client.
4. Enable WPS under AP mode.

hope merlin will do his magic on this soooon :D

Merlin does this build contains new drivers ? because you mentioned in your change log from latest builds that you merged 374_2078 while this is 374_2050

Last edited:
Daft question time. Can you build in a button to enable the em switch for the next build ?

This will help people who run into problems :)

It's something done at compile time, not a user-toggleable option.

hope merlin will do his magic on this soooon :D

Merlin does this build contains new drivers ? because you mentioned in your change log from latest builds that you merged 374_2078 while this is 374_2050

Why? As you noted, I'm already using even newer code than that release.

N66U, 3.0.0.4.374.38_1-em firmware, I cannot access to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_VPN_Content.asp

When I try to go to this page, web server hangs.
And maybe daemon after this..... says bye bye...

Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# telnet 192.168.1.1 80
telnet: can't connect to remote host (192.168.1.1): Connection refused
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#

Last edited:
Telnet is not port 80 if that is what you're trying to do, try to telnet with just the LAN ip. ex. telnet 192.168.1.1

Flashed 38_1 on an AC-68U yesterday. My initial results are that wifi performance is pretty much on par with Asus' 501 and 542 releases (which were both about the same for me).

One issue that I haven't tested that much yet: The initial media server scanning never completed after a factory reset. It hung somewhere before it got to my second usb drive. I tried rebooting it, but it usually takes a while to scan so I won't know if it hung again until later today. Could be the case that all I need to do is check the file system for errors. Anyway, once I get it to finish scanning I'll test if it actually serves the content or if I have issues like a few other people reported.

I ran into the same issue with 38_1 on AC68R. The media server never comes out of the scanning stage. I found a fix for the problem. But haven't tracked down the root cause.

Merlin's builds puts the media server database in the directory /var/cache/minidlna. It looks like one or more files in this directory is either incompatible with 374.38_1 or was corrupted when my router crashed repeatedly during the issues with the 374.38 build. I changed the media server database path to another directory on my partition and everything worked. I need to go back to the files on /var/cache/minidlna and look for any obvious problems there.

No, that's you downloading the wrong firmware. 354.28 isn't the same thing as 374.38. :D

Mmm. I downloaded and flashed 374.38 twice and router reported 354.28.
However, 374.38_1 shows correctly. No idea how my set up managed to flash an old firmware if this is the case but there you go!

Telnet is not port 80 if that is what you're trying to do, try to telnet with just the LAN ip. ex. telnet 192.168.1.1

telnet to port 80 is fine if he's trying to check if the router's web UI is available (http is port 80). He shouldn't get a connection refused to port 80 on the router's IP address, the router's internal webserver has crashed or become unresponsive.

I am on 38_1 and after upgrading to this version I cannot connect to my 5ghz wifi. At this point I cannot even see the AP. This was working fine on previous builds. What information do I need to provide to work for a fix?

edit: I can see the AP now from my phone, but I cannot connect to it. I can connect to the 2.4ghz AP just fine.
I cannot see it from my mac (channel issue probably?). I just verified that I can connect to the 5ghz AP from another laptop, so perhaps it is a channel issue on the 5ghz spectrum?

First, thanks RMerlin for your work on custom firmwares!

I have the same problem here, with RT-AC66U on 38_1. the 5ghz band seems to be broken when you hardreboot the router. Everything is fine when you use the reboot on the webinterface, after rebooting you can connect to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

I've tried resetting to factory defaults and fully reconfigure with no chance, but changing any settings on the 5ghz band and applying make it work again. Not a big problem if you don't have any blackouts. :)

Flashing back to 35_4 resolve the issue for now...

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!