What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

On my rtax88u pro, 388.4, has anyone tried changing their password?
No issues changing the password on a RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.4. Changed it several times (using letters/numbers, upper/lower case, no special characters), no problems or issues.

Those of us on on this release, or prior 388 releases, if you can user look at Adaptive Qos / User Priorities and compare - see attached

Qos Uer Priorities.jpg

I'm trying to determine to source of my random dandwidth drop I recently was able to resolve by clearing these fields and hitting apply as shown above, curious thing I don't remeber setting anyrhing up or messing with this. I'm wondering if I set this up in my past and it travelled as I upgraded the firmware from some previous releases or whether this was set during one if the many upgades to 388.x releases from a 386 release as I tried to figure out the random drop in WAN bandwith I had reported. Every time I moved to any 388 release.

I had assumed it was a 388 release, as the firewall restart and bandwith drop happend with both 388.x Merlin and Stock ASUS, but not in any 386 releases. But clearing this out and hitting apply instanly returned my bandwidth and resolved the problem.

So in the end my issue was not a firmware, hardware, or script isssue, but config issue (even though I had Advanced Qos disabled and TrendMircro privacy revoked and had started from scratch several times)!

What it looked like when the issue happened:
bandwidth.jpg

In the log:
Jun 3 16:46:08 Router kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idp with major 190
Jun 3 16:46:08 Router kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_max = 8000
Jun 3 16:46:08 Router kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_timeout = 300 sec
Jun 3 16:46:10 Router kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.2 36f59aa
Jun 3 16:46:10 Router kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
Jun 3 16:46:10 Router kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Jun 3 16:46:10 Router kernel: IDPfw: flush fc
Jun 3 16:46:10 Router kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
Jun 3 16:46:10 Router kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280
Jun 3 16:46:10 Router BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3Jun 3 16:47:57 Router custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: update_sta_binding)

Thanks...

Those of us on on this release, or prior 388 releases, if you can user look at Adaptive Qos / User Priorities and compare - see attached

View attachment 53204

I'm trying to determine to source of my random dandwidth drop I recently was able to resolve by clearing these fields and hitting apply as shown above, curious thing I don't remeber setting anyrhing up or messing with this. I'm wondering if I set this up in my past and it travelled as I upgraded the firmware from some previous releases or whether this was set during one if the many upgades to 388.x releases from a 386 release as I tried to figure out the random drop in WAN bandwith I had reported. Every time I moved to any 388 release.

I had assumed it was a 388 release, as the firewall restart and bandwith drop happend with both 388.x Merlin and Stock ASUS, but not in any 386 releases. But clearing this out and hitting apply instanly returned my bandwidth and resolved the problem.

So in the end my issue was not a firmware, hardware, or script isssue, but config issue (even though I had Advanced Qos disabled and TrendMircro privacy revoked and had started from scratch several times)!
Something is wonky because you shouldn’t be able to see that screen without Traditional QoS being enabled. And it should not appear on the Bandwidth Monitor tab.

On my rtax88u pro, 388.4, has anyone tried changing their password?

Twice now.

First time i changed it, then i could not log in.
This forced me to reset the router again.
Changed the password… crap.

So now i initialed the setup using the password i want from the start.

Fearful to change it now.
This post might help, if stuck...

Last edited:
Something is wonky because you shouldn’t be able to see that screen without Traditional QoS being enabled. And it should not appear on the Bandwidth Monitor tab.
I don’t disagree, now I’m even more curious how QoS was randomly starting up. But at least now, based on your old post at least I fixed it.

Guess I’ll take a deeper look at the config and dump nvram to see if I missed anything. I disabled all QoS long ago, back when I got fiber. TrendMicro privacy revoked even longer.

When I get back in front of the router (AX88/388.4) later tonight, I’ll share a screen grab of the GUI tree with it.

I don’t disagree, now I’m even more curious how QoS was randomly starting up. But at least now, based on your old post at least I fixed it.

Guess I’ll take a deeper look at the config and dump nvram to see if I missed anything. I disabled all QoS long ago, back when I got fiber. TrendMicro privacy revoked even longer.

When I get back in front of the router (AX88/388.4) later tonight, I’ll share a screen grab of the GUI tree with it.
Adaptive QoS 388.jpg

Here's what comes up, note that every QoS related function is off/disabled and there are no QoS related scripts and Trend Micro privacy is revoked which I believe disables the bandwidth monitor - the is an AX88 (not pro).

Diggding through NVRAM now to see what I can find...

Not sure which feature but I've had scMerlin for years, which would explain why it shows up in the GUI but not why QoS was randomly turned on, or how the settings I removed got there. Still working on that piece. Lots of others use scMerlin too, curious if they are seeing the same in the GUI. Not just QoS but some IPV6, VPN, Alexa - IFTTT, USB Apps (Time mMachine and Tencent). But that helps clear it up some of the mystery.

I'll remove scMerlim tomorrow and reboot, to see if it clears out that setting exposing things in the GUI that shouldn't be.

Last edited:
That would explain alot, the user defined proirites bandwith percentages differed but the high priorty packet types matched - so this answers a lot. What's left is figuring out why, with all the Advanced QoS options disabled every where in the GUI but the user defined priorites set why on random occasions would QoS get trigerred, cutting the WAN bandwidth in half.

Gald that its not firmware, glad its not any of the scripts, glad its somewhat resolved by clearing out that section of config, solves a big mystery. I'm going to guess that part of the QoS config was a hold over from when I had DSL, before GB Fiber (many many years ago). Even though I did full resets between releases, between my many 388.x/386.x migrations, ASUSWRT migrations, I thought clearing everything out.

Never thought about checking this since I had disabled QoS and opted out of Trend Micro privacy, ages ago. Running across that old post by @dave14305 as I searched for my error. Gave me the idea to look, clearing out the config and hitting apply fixed it immediately, returning my bandwith to normal without a reboot.

But the question remains, why with Advanced Qos disabled everywhere, and Trend Micro Privacy revoked. Why would it randomly trigger/start? Why only with a 388 family releases (never happend with 386.x)? I suspect I may never know but as its now mitigated, I may never know and that's fine.

A meanigful log message would've been nice so I didn't have to lose my mind chasing this down, or create countless posts on the random bandwith drops I had due to this with every 388 release regardless of who by 😉

But as they say no pain, no gain!

Hello.

I do not know if this was present in the previous versions of the FW or not, but in the current one, the "Block Internet Access" switch would not stick graphically for me (GT-AX6000). The setting is working (it can be verified if I go to "Parental Control" -> "Time Scheduling" for a check), it just doesn't display the globe icon with the red minus sign and the "Block Internet Access" switch shows as if it would be turned off, but it isn't).

I will have to investigate why does it work with the Valetudo device, and why it does not with other devices I try to block (is it because that was the first one I blocked or perhaps because it does not use DHCP), so this is just reporting the issue I found:

block_wont_stick_combined.jpg

Last edited:
Why only with a 388 family releases (never happend with 386.x)?

Most likely because you are running a bunch of unsupported scripts in 388 firmware. You asked this question before.

My DNS is responding differently now. My DNS is set to FAST DNS (google). I was in an ssh session - did a nslookup and instead of the server responding as 127.0.0.1 as it has since I started using unbound, Google DNS shows up. This is a change in prior performance because that DNS setting was being ignored.

Uninstalled/reinstalled, unbound and restarted without a change. Where is the disconnect here? How do I know Unbound is servicing DNS requests now?

This is a change in prior performance because that DNS setting was being ignored.
Nothing had changed there, that has been the default behaviour for many years. If you were previously using 127.0.0.1, it means you had "Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)" enabled under Other Settings, which is generally not recommended unless someone has a very specific use case for it.

How do I know Unbound is servicing DNS requests now?

Unbound as resolver will show your own WAN IP.

Nothing had changed there, that has been the default behaviour for many years. If you were previously using 127.0.0.1, it means you had "Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)" enabled under Other Settings, which is generally not recommended unless someone has a very specific use case for it.
Thanks... I probably haven't done a nslookup in ssh since back when I was using caching. How time flies.

Those of us on on this release, or prior 388 releases, if you can user look at Adaptive Qos / User Priorities and compare - see attached ~~
FWIW Mine is exactly the same as the screenshot shown in Post #545 and as per the sub-menu set, that's shown in Post #547

I wasn't surprised by that sub-menu set still being visible & accessible, it's just a superfluous item that's not used (by me) anyway. Yes, I also disabled all QoS a very long time ago and I privacy revoked TrendMicro a very long time ago too. I don't have now (and never had so far...) any issues with QoS randomly being turned on (or off) and I have never had any associated WAN bandwidth issues as a result.

We both have FTTH connections, but we're using different routers, with very different setups too. So it's either the latter, or a Yes / No ticket in the lucky draw!

Most likely because you are running a bunch of unsupported scripts in 388 firmware. You asked this question before.

Except that I mentioned it also happened with stock 388 release of ASUSWRT, from a full reset, no scripts which got me to migrate back to 386.8 :rolleyes: