What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I found a workaround, I just put Static IP on the WAN connection of the router Asus, getting the IP settings from the ISP router, is the fastest en easiest way to solve temporary the issue. Factory reset takes time, i have many things to configure OpenVPN, Entware, Transmission, LAN DHCP assign, manual scripts, etc... and after that I'm not sure solves the issue.
Try just vanilla config at first, if it doesn't solve it, easy enough to go back..😉

I can verify the option is missing on all the routers I flashed to 388.4(GT-AX11000 Pro, GT-AX11000, RT-AX88U & RT-AX58U), so must be a change/bug in the GPL
Dirty upgrade from 388.2_2 to 388.4 with an AX88U without issues. By the way, I can confirm that this wifi option (Protected Management Frames) has dissapeared from the GUI, but no effect noted.

The WiFi option Protected Management Frames is gone from the GUI since alpha, and it is due to a GPL ASUS side change - nothing to do with RMerlin...
And yes, there is a reason for it.

Here's another issue with 388.4 & GT-AX11000_PRO.
I went to check my VPN status and noticed it was blank. I went to whatsmyip and confirmed the VPN was up. Rebooted the router and the VPN status was restored.

Attachments

• Capture00728.jpg
    Capture00728.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 54
Here's another issue with 388.4 & GT-AX11000_PRO.
I went to check my VPN status and noticed it was blank. I went to whatsmyip and confirmed the VPN was up. Rebooted the router and the VPN status was restored.
I had the same issue this morning. The VPN was actually hung up, and not resettable via vpnmon-r2 (it was trying).

Had to reboot the router as it was laggy as well though clients were still able to connect outbound. No obvious errors in the syslog for what was causing it. Will be monitoring carefully over the next few days...

Edit: I'm on a AX68 though.

Last edited:
Protected Management Frames is automatically set now depending on what Authentication Method you choose.
You can check it with this command: nvram get wl_mfp
The number returned is what Protected Management Frames is set to.
0=Disabled
1=Capable
2=Required

Protected Management Frames is automatically set now depending on what Authentication Method you choose.
You can check it with this command: nvram get wl_mfp
The number returned is what Protected Management Frames is set to.
0=Disabled
1=Capable
2=Required
I do not think this command is enough if you have set your radios differently (2.4 and 5) like me.
Do not know if there is one to show setting per radio... 🤔

I do have a small issue on my AX68U where I try to view my client list and it will be frozen. Everything stays connected just fine, but I have to reboot the router to update the client list. It has happened twice so far.

Other than that, awesome update.

EDIT: It just happened for the third time a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
I do have a small issue on my AX68U where I try to view my client list and it will be frozen. Everything stays connected just fine, but I have to reboot the router to update the client list. It has happened twice so far.

Other than that, awesome update.

EDIT: It just happened for the third time a few minutes ago.

Firmware Version
Scheduled check for new firmware availabilityYes No
Check Update
AiMesh router
RT-AX86UCurrent Version : 388.2_2
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : 388.4

download the package, uncompress and when I manually upload (no other choice it seems) I get Unsuccessful upgrade etc etc. I've validated like 10x that I have the right version/file...

I did a live upgrade in the morning and the system hung yesterday evening (8/26). I decided to turn the "config from scratch" chore into an opportunity to make some changes I had planned, new IP scheme, new DDNS name, change SSIDs and enable smart connect. Network clients are performing better, and it's a lot easier to manage with one SSID. I didn't configure my VPN servers or dual WAN yet - I had been using the problematic (I found out after I HAD problems) Asus version, so I was glad to see the Dual WAN script posted for install via Entware especially when I was ready to say goodbye to using that functionality. I'm going to watch it for about 3 days and get some idea of the performance profile, then configure the VPN and dual WAN before the 1st of next month. Then we will see if it can go without a reboot for a full month this time.

I did notice that "Enable IPv4 inbound firewall rules" is set to NO by default - why is that. Should I be turning off all the GUI firewall stuff since I use Skynet?

Anyway, the new revision seems to be very efficient and running well.

Firmware Version
Scheduled check for new firmware availabilityYes No
Check Update
AiMesh router
RT-AX86UCurrent Version : 388.2_2
Manual firmware update : Upload
The latest version : 388.4

download the package, uncompress and when I manually upload (no other choice it seems) I get Unsuccessful upgrade etc etc. I've validated like 10x that I have the right version/file...
As there's not a lot to go on , in your first post , let's start at the start .. this file : RT-AX86U_3004_388.4_0_pureubi.w Aug 21 2023 82,049 KB Yes ?
I updated from 388.2_2 to 3004.388.4 (RT-AX86U) a few days ago , without issue.

The WiFi option Protected Management Frames is gone from the GUI since alpha, and it is due to a GPL ASUS side change - nothing to do with RMerlin...
And yes, there is a reason for it.

Please explain the reason. For WPA3, there is no need for the setting as it's required but for WPA2, there is a need to be able to change this setting, so I would like to see the reasoning for it if this was done deliberately. Is it now disabled for WPA2? Or is set to capable if you use that encryption type??

As there's not a lot to go on , in your first post , let's start at the start .. this file : RT-AX86U_3004_388.4_0_pureubi.w Aug 21 2023 82,049 KB Yes ?
Apologies for that, yes: RT-AX86U_3004_388.4_0_pureubi.w and same size. Odd... is there a log/logging level on the router which shows upgrade activity? I don't see anything related in the system log

Did you do it manually? Or is that the only option?

Please explain the reason. For WPA3, there is no need for the setting as it's required but for WPA2, there is a need to be able to change this setting, so I would like to see the reasoning for it if this was done deliberately. Is it now disabled for WPA2? Or is set to capable if you use that encryption type??
It was already mentioned here somewhere on the forum (and elsewhere); but yes WPA3 - Required, and WPA2 - Capable, and no more Disabled option for WPA2, Unless you chose an older WEP/WPA.
Less chance of user f**k-up in case someone chose WPA2/Required for example, and then wonders why his older client wont connect... ;)

Last edited:
So this probably has nothing to do with Merlin's firmware, but the dual wan functionality has always been absurdly buggy. It never worked before, and I read this GPL had some fixes, so I went to try it again...

I enabled dual wan with failover and fallback using an iPhone. I pulled the ethernet cable from my modem and had a continuous ping going... it only dropped a few pings and then the secondary wan took over. I was shocked...

But then, something got into a bad state and the router failed to detect my primary wan. I couldn't get it going after plugging my modem back in, and ended up fixing it with factory reset! So annoying!

So this probably has nothing to do with Merlin's firmware, but the dual wan functionality has always been absurdly buggy. It never worked before, and I read this GPL had some fixes, so I went to try it again...

I enabled dual wan with failover and fallback using an iPhone. I pulled the ethernet cable from my modem and had a continuous ping going... it only dropped a few pings and then the secondary wan took over. I was shocked...

But then, something got into a bad state and the router failed to detect my primary wan. I couldn't get it going after plugging my modem back in, and ended up fixing it with factory reset! So annoying!
uhOH..that sounds like the same thing I have been dealing with. In my testing, pulling the CAT6 cable didn't really generate a certified WAN event (never saw service-event call WAN with code and interface) but a link state issue. I had to pull power cable from the cable modem to get a true test.

uhOH..that sounds like the same thing I have been dealing with. In my testing, pulling the CAT6 cable didn't really generate a certified WAN event (never saw service-event call WAN with code and interface) but a link state issue. I had to pull power cable from the cable modem to get a true test.
What's the best way to report this to Asus / are you aware of any threads in the wrt forum of this issue?

I've pulled my modem ethernet before, but it always came back after I plugged it in. I knew it was a router software issue because the modem lights worked and I tested a laptop directly to the modem. I wasn't able to get it working through multiple variations tinkering of settings and a reboot.

I honestly think it was an issue specific to fallback... I enabled fallback and after that, it never saw my WAN again, even when I switched it to the 2.5g port.

Long story short, if I have an ISP outage I will manually switch the WAN to USB, as I cannot rely on dual wan.