What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I seem to be unable to update to this last version from 388.2_2 on an RT-AX86U. I downloaded it and tried updating from the Administration - Firmware Upgrade page, as usually; the progress bar goes on, but then I log back in and the version is still 388.2_2. On the first attempt it didn't ask for a manual reboot, on the second it did and I rebooted it manually, but still the new version has not been installed. Has anyone encountered this problem, any ideas?

Can happen sometimes. Unmount from GUI any connected drive/usb stick and try the upgrade again.

I decided to roll the dice and upgrade from 386.7_2 to 3004.388.4. I was hoping everything would be fine. It was NOT. Things seemed OK at first, but then the 5ghz band would randomly reboot itself two or three times a day. Then I noticed that all my wifi clients migrated to the host node. Then a fixed IP address security camera showed up on the list with a different IP address. When rebooting, the 5ghz band would take three minutes to start.

After wasting my time for half a day trying to fix the problems, I bit the bullet and did what I should have done in the first place. I did a factory default restore in the GUI. Then I did a “hold WPS on boot” reset on both the main router and the node. Since 3004.388.4 was already loaded in both routers, ALL I had to do was reconfigure everything. The only defaults I changed were setting Universal Beamforming to Disable and IPV6 to Native.

Now, my network is the most stable that I can remember. AiMesh is working the best it has ever worked in the three years I’ve used it. WiFi clients naturally connect to the correct node. With 386.7_2 and earlier, I would have to manually bind a few clients to make them connect to the correct node.

What I learned from all this is not to fear the full factory reset. Embrace it. It is your best friend if you want your network to work properly when upgrading to new firmware.

I decided to roll the dice and upgrade from 386.7_2 to 3004.388.4. I was hoping everything would be fine. It was NOT. Things seemed OK at first, but then the 5ghz band would randomly reboot itself two or three times a day. Then I noticed that all my wifi clients migrated to the host node. Then a fixed IP address security camera showed up on the list with a different IP address. When rebooting, the 5ghz band would take three minutes to start.

After wasting my time for half a day trying to fix the problems, I bit the bullet and did what I should have done in the first place. I did a factory default restore in the GUI. Then I did a “hold WPS on boot” reset on both the main router and the node. Since 3004.388.4 was already loaded in both routers, ALL I had to do was reconfigure everything. The only defaults I changed were setting Universal Beamforming to Disable and IPV6 to Native.

Now, my network is the most stable that I can remember. AiMesh is working the best it has ever worked in the three years I’ve used it. WiFi clients naturally connect to the correct node. With 386.7_2 and earlier, I would have to manually bind a few clients to make them connect to the correct node.

What I learned from all this is not to fear the full factory reset. Embrace it. It is your best friend if you want your network to work properly when upgrading to new firmware.
Fair comment...any suggestions on how to deal with 70 fixed IP addresses...?

YazDHCP allows you to export and later import fixed DHCP reservations.

Use the save Settings and save JFFS, to backup.

Sometimes, not always, a reset and reapplying of settings sorts it out. It’s like a half reset.

You're both legends. Thank you so much. Is there a similar tool for VPN config?
Just export and import VPN certs and config from GUI.

Hi. I have a problem after updating.

I updated to 3004.388.2 on my RT-AX88U, however now my assigned DDNS is not connecting. It says; "Request error! Please try again". It was fine before I updated a few minutes ago (old version 388.2). DDNS Registration Result is stuck on processing.

Edit: Fixed it, for some reason I had to activate the: "IPv6 Update" for it to work again. Not sure if that option was there before, anyhow.

Had the same issue. DDNS was connected and functioning properly, but whatever nvram value the GUI looks at didn't appear to store the proper status/return code.

Update with log info: there were no ddns errors in the syslog. Last ddns update return code was 200 per the syslog. Return code stored in nvram was -1. After the forced update described above, the stored rc is now 200 and the GUI message is cleared.

Last edited:
I have a provider box with 5 Gb down, 2 X 1 Gb ports and 1 X 2.5Gb port
the ax6000 can receive on a 2.5 Gb wan port and today I will test a dual wan with the 2.54Gb port + 1 port 1 Gb in aggregate load balancing.
In addition, the ax6000 offers 1 lan port 2.5 Gb, and I bought it at a small price. With the Merlin firmware, I was able to remove the gaming look, so everything is fine.
I hesitated with the RT-AX86U, but it doesn’t have a 2.5 LAN port if I’m not mistaken.;););)
Oooh, didn't consider that, for sure, Merlin firmware gets away with the gaming interface, will re-consider upgrading, that may do it for me.

After upgrading to 388.4 my router is laggy and unresponsive, even after a hard reset, my internet keeps dropping and router menus take 60 seconds to load, what am i doing wrong?

Ax88u

Last edited:
After upgrading to 388.4 my router is laggy and unresponsive, even after a hard reset, my internet keeps dropping and router menus take 60 seconds to load, what am i doing wrong?
A suggestion. Provide more information about your setup. Like your router model for example. Include other information like; how is it configured (Router, AP, Media Bridge, etc.), any scripts, add-ons, AiMesh, USB hard drive, VPN, etc. that you have on the router. You'll notice many will put specific router info in their account profile signature.

Hi Everyone,
After upgrading to 3004.388.4, I am noticing frequent spike in ping latency to my AX88U router (Refer to the attached screenshot). Whenever I try Speed test using Ookla/Xfinity speed test, ping latency spike to 150 - 200ms.
I tried the same "ping" test using LAN (Network cable directly connected to router) and my ping latency average to 2ms.
Only when connected to WiFi, I am experiencing this problem. Any advise?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-29 104343.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-29 104343.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 59
Hi Everyone,
After upgrading to 3004.388.4, I am noticing frequent spike in ping latency to my AX88U router (Refer to the attached screenshot). Whenever I try Speed test using Ookla/Xfinity speed test, ping latency spike to 150 - 200ms.
I tried the same "ping" test using LAN (Network cable directly connected to router) and my ping latency average to 2ms.
i'm likely to get crap about this comment but when these idiosyncratic problems surface, could it hurt to perform a full reset? there's another ov that commented about upgrading from 386.72 who had some persnicketies as well. mind you, 386.72 may have been the best ever rel that i experienced but we move on. so while never perfect, a reset can allow for a fresh start.

i'm seeing occasional problems on the 5gh but only with TVs. quite singular, i suspect but, i'm waiting it out since i'm too lazy to rekey all my settings. sans any logs, it can be difficult for folks to "fix" some issues. so, consider the painful reset option, then view your logs. when a problem occurs, you're likely to have a timestamp.

. . . jes sayin.

RMerlin, to be clear. I wasn't indicating what you would be working on.

I was vocalizing what I was looking forward to, with my current set of routers.

By the way, 386.12 Alpha 1 works great for a few of my customers still on those older routers.
Exactly what do you mean with customers?

i'm likely to get crap about this comment but when these idiosyncratic problems surface, could it hurt to perform a full reset? there's another ov that commented about upgrading from 386.72 who had some persnicketies as well. mind you, 386.72 may have been the best ever rel that i experienced but we move on. so while never perfect, a reset can allow for a fresh start.

i'm seeing occasional problems on the 5gh but only with TVs. quite singular, i suspect but, i'm waiting it out since i'm too lazy to rekey all my settings. sans any logs, it can be difficult for folks to "fix" some issues. so, consider the painful reset option, then view your logs. when a problem occurs, you're likely to have a timestamp.

. . . jes sayin.
Hi,
Before submitting this post here, I have performed the complete Reset option as mentioned in this post:

I have did the Full reset of AX88U using WPS + WebUI "Initialize" method and then only I made this post.

Hi Everyone,
Biggest chance (since only on WiFi) channel - probably lots of noise on it, change to different channel/wide, then test agin...

Biggest chance (since only on WiFi) channel - probably lots of noise on it, change to different channel/wide, then test agin...
Thanks MDM.. I will try setting the Control Channel for 5GH instead of Auto. But just want to confirm, if this is expected:
I can see only UNII-1 (36-48) & UNII-3 (149-165) Channels for me to choose. Can anyone confirm, if these are the expected Channel numbers to choose in RT-AX88U in North America region?

Attachments

• Screenshots_2023_08_29_01.png
    Screenshots_2023_08_29_01.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I can see only UNII-1 (36-48) & UNII-3 (149-165) Channels for me to choose. Can anyone confirm, if these are the expected Channel numbers to choose in RT-AX88U in North America region?
I see all the channels on mine. While not related, you may want to disable 160 MHz if you don't use it.