What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.42_2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In my experience, CPUs on these kind of devices with passive cooling run normally in the 80-90C range. That's normal. Hot would be something over 100C (my EA6900 got over 110C :eek:).

That being said, I bought a 4-inch fan to keep my EA6900 cool. I saw no reason to remove it when I put in the AC68W so I left it on.

My temps currently are:

2.4Ghz - 41C
5.0Ghz - 44C
CPU - 61C

Hi there,

installed 374.42 a few days ago and my internet speed dropped down from 300Mbit to 200Mbit.
Anyone got an explanation for this?

Just downgraded to 374.41 and speed is now back to 300Mbit.

My provider is 'CaiWay' in the Netherlands, from which I've got a fibre internet connection. They are using Genexis FTTH Home gateway for internet, television and telephone.

Regards,
Martien

Hi there,

installed 374.42 a few days ago and my internet speed dropped down from 300Mbit to 200Mbit.

My provider is 'CaiWay' in the Netherlands, from which I've got a fibre internet connection. They are using Genexis FTTH Home gateway for internet, television and telephone.

Regards,
Martien

holy crap, the US just doesn't get nice things like that lol

Hi there,

Regards,
Martien

I get fiber through a Genexis FTTH (Hybrid) gateway as well. I haven't experienced any speed drop. Perhaps try disabling and enabling NAT hardware acceleration again or perform a factory reset.

Hi there,

Regards,
Martien

I get fiber through a Genexis FTTH (Hybrid) gateway as well. I haven't experienced any speed drop. Perhaps try disabling and enabling NAT hardware acceleration again or perform a factory reset.

Sure, post and then leave us without the most important piece of the puzzle....

If you have access to the router to change its SSID, then it doesn't matter at all whether you could inject code into a web field or not - you already have root access to the whole router anyway. You could redirect any DNS query wherever you wanted.

Understood, that is why I'm asking about other portions of the web service - like the wireless survey feature - which would just load up SSID's from random local devices.

Or the hostname field, that pulls in the "hostname", some how, of the devices on the network.

Loaded this software on my n66u the other day and though it's been rock solid the wireless performance is disappointing, I am losing range compared to the SDK5 versions with similar settings. Are there any tips/tricks or should I just load the last sdk5 version again if possible?

I would like to add none of the drivers since sdk5 version for either asus or rmerlin have worked well for me and is Asus working on fixing this in future releases?

Again thanks to Rmerlin for working on this.

Last edited:
Don't recommend any SDK5 version - too many security holes fixed since.

Have you reset the router to defaults? Have you manually entered any required settings? Have you forgotten your ssid on all your devices and then re-associate the device to the router again (or simpler: use a new ssid)?

I have used all the firmware available from about a year ago now. v374.42 for my RT-N66U is the most stable and highest throughput setup I have had since I bought it.

Can you give specific examples of degraded performance if you've done all the above?

I've seen a few feet less range but probably double the throughput at the usual edges of my property over the last year (including searching for a better channel for both bands; testing each channel one by one. No matter what inssider reported).

Just installed 374.42_2

On Advanced_WAN_Content.asp page, it does not toggle the rest of the page settings as it was before, when you toggle WAN Type selection box. Tried 3 different browsers. Both Cable and DSL still works but it is now a bit confusing now, if I had 2 DSL or 2 Cable, I wouldn't be able to configure them properly.

If somebody else mentioned this before, sorry... couldn't browse through all in this thread.

Don't recommend any SDK5 version - too many security holes fixed since.

Have you reset the router to defaults? Have you manually entered any required settings? Have you forgotten your ssid on all your devices and then re-associate the device to the router again (or simpler: use a new ssid)?

I have used all the firmware available from about a year ago now. v374.42 for my RT-N66U is the most stable and highest throughput setup I have had since I bought it.

Can you give specific examples of degraded performance if you've done all the above?

I've seen a few feet less range but probably double the throughput at the usual edges of my property over the last year (including searching for a better channel for both bands; testing each channel one by one. No matter what inssider reported).

I have always reset the router to defaults and entered settings the same as before. With sdk5 my devices are usable throughout the house, with anything newer I find my devices become unusable in areas of the house they worked fine at before. I have tried resetting the devices and it's always the same nothing compares to the older sdk5 driver. I believe that's a big reason Rmerlin kept building them for us n66u owners. I know he enabled some higher signal strength settings (em) in the latest builds and was hoping it would work as well but so far no luck.

I am wondering if there are any settings people have found that may increase range with the N66U.

Also what actually are the security holes in sdk5? I know there were some default settings that needed change but are their core settings that no matter what are a security risk?

I'll try disabling/enabling NAT Hardware Acceleration, that's any easy one.

The factory reset wil reset everything, can I make a backup of my settings and restore them afterwards?

After formatting my hard disk to ext3 like you suggested, I faced a problem that wasn't there when the hard disk was in NTFS.
When I tried copying a file from my desktop to the network drive's subfolder (a folder within the folder in the root directory), I get "Destination folder access denied". The reason why I need files in subfolder is because I need to organise the files in the root directory folder (e.g. Main Episodes, Subtitles, Behind the Scenes, OSTs).
I was able to do this when my hard disk was in NTFS. Is there any fix?

I'll try disabling/enabling NAT Hardware Acceleration, that's any easy one.

The factory reset wil reset everything, can I make a backup of my settings and restore them afterwards?

Restoring the old settings will defeat the purpose of a factory reset. You might recreate the old errors. However, there are ways to save some time if you happen to have quite a few manual port forwards. I use PuTTY for instance to retrieve and restore them.

To retrieve portforwards:
nvram get vts_rulelist

Save the output to a text file.

To restore them:
nvram set vts_rulelist="your port list here"

nvram commit

For static DHCP lists:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

nvram set dhcp_staticlist="your list here"

nvram commit

(Verify they are enabled in the web GUI afterward.)

BTW, for reference I'm using an RT-AC68U.

After formatting my hard disk to ext3 like you suggested, I faced a problem that wasn't there when the hard disk was in NTFS.
When I tried copying a file from my desktop to the network drive's subfolder (a folder within the folder in the root directory), I get "Destination folder access denied". The reason why I need files in subfolder is because I need to organise the files in the root directory folder (e.g. Main Episodes, Subtitles, Behind the Scenes, OSTs).

use ftp instead. i tried to figure out a workaround for this issue but couldn't. FTP you won't get file permission restrictions. It is some borked code in the asus FW that doesn't carry over permissions well for windows as you go down the file tree.

FTP is easy though so I just moved to using that instead of spending anymore time trying to solve my issue.

use ftp instead. i tried to figure out a workaround for this issue but couldn't. FTP you won't get file permission restrictions. It is some borked code in the asus FW that doesn't carry over permissions well for windows as you go down the file tree.

FTP is easy though so I just moved to using that instead of spending anymore time trying to solve my issue.

I tried using FTP, it didn't work either. I get "Make sure you have permission to put files on the server". Any solutions? :(

This is a permission issue. You need to ensure that the router has the necessary permission to write to the disk. Simplest method is to make the whole disk world-writable. If the disk is mounted under /mnt/sda1/ then run the following command:

Code:
chmod -R 777 /mnt/sda1/

This is a permission issue. You need to ensure that the router has the necessary permission to write to the disk. Simplest method is to make the whole disk world-writable. If the disk is mounted under /mnt/sda1/ then run the following command:

Code:
chmod -R 777 /mnt/sda1/

Thanks it worked! How come there was permission issue suddenly? Is it the nature of ext3?

Thanks it worked! How come there was permission issue suddenly? Is it the nature of ext3?

Linux filesystems have user/group permissions, just like NTFS has such a thing under Windows. However Linux doesn't enforce Windows permissions out of the box, as it's based on a completely different ACL model.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!