What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have upgraded from 376.45, did factory reset and installed Astrill via telnet (wget command). Since then there are no graphic icons next menu item under "general".

WjUaE2T.png

I tried to reinstall everything but it is the same.

Astrill need to update their app for the changes Asus made but they refuse until 378.50 was out of beta

I'll fix this once stable version is available. Please use previous stable version instead. Beta versions may contain various bugs and we do not recommend them, therefore we will not be fixing Astrill bugs in beta versions either.

I have notified them that it is now out of beta but no reply yet.

I urge everyone who is using the Astrill app to submit a support ticket to get this fixed.

Trying to load the RT-A68U build on my TM-AC1900 running 376.49_4 .

SHA256 checks out.

Getting

---------------------------
Message from webpage
Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.
OK

Proper update

Thank you Merlin for your dedication and enormous effort you're putting into these builds.

So I understood I need to do Factory Defaults reset and reconfigure my RT-AC68U manually.

I am currently on RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_6_cfeupd, so what would be proper update procedure in my case?

Update to 378.50_0 before I do factory reset or should I do factory reset now while still on 376.49_6_cfeupd, and then update my router with new firmware, and reconfigure all settings manually?

Just want to make sure I am not "destroying" anything here on my end :)

Thanks and have a wonderful evening everybody!

EDIT: I just found this inside Merlin's text file that was in the firmware ZIP file:
NOTE: resetting to factory default after flashing is
strongly recommended for the following cases:

- Updating from a firmware version that is more than 3 releases older
- Switching from a Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT firmware

I am sure second point does not apply to my case, nor the first one (I believe), but I still think it would be good to do factory reset.

So I understood, I have to proceed with updating my firmware to the new version, and after it's completed, do a factory reset, configure my router and all the settings manually. I am correct?

Last edited:
No issues, I'm getting 930 Mbps on speedtest.net with 378.50.
Did you reset and reconfigure the settings after the upgrade as suggested?

dd-wrt and tomato don't have NAT Acceleration, you won't be getting much in the terms of speed because of this.

Thanks for your suggestion. I've figured out the issue. Basically, I've enabled the IPTraffic feature after finalising my usual setup after resetting the configuration as suggested. What I didn't realised is IPTraffic will disable the hardware acceleration. Now that I've disabled this feature, it's now back to an average of 800mb on speedtest.net. Cheers!

Thank you Merlin for your dedication and enormous effort you're putting into these builds.

So I understood I need to do Factory Defaults reset and reconfigure my RT-AC68U manually.

I am currently on RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_6_cfeupd, so what would be proper update procedure in my case?

Update to 378.50_0 before I do factory reset or should I do factory reset now while still on 376.49_6_cfeupd, and then update my router with new firmware, and reconfigure all settings manually?

Just want to make sure I am not "destroying" anything here on my end :)

Thanks and have a wonderful evening everybody!

EDIT: I just found this inside Merlin's text file that was in the firmware ZIP file:

I am sure second point does not apply to my case, nor the first one (I believe), but I still think it would be good to do factory reset.

So I understood, I have to proceed with updating my firmware to the new version, and after it's completed, do a factory reset, configure my router and all the settings manually. I am correct?

Merlin said this in post #1 :

a factory default reset is required, followed by a manual reconfiguration of your settings.

This is not required if you were already running the 378.50 betas.

So if you were not running a 50 beta then you indeed need to factory reset after you install the new version.

SHA256 checks out.

Getting

Message from webpage
Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.
OK

You'll want to try the Asus Firmware Restoration tool to flash it. I have not been able to use the WebUI to flash my TM-AC1900 for several update cycles now.

Thanks, RMerlin

I've been really loving the .50 betas, and so far this final is just fine.

You've really made my 87 into a reliable workhorse. Never had better wireless coverage and the throughout on 4 servers out in the garage is more than I could ever expect (using an RT-N66u with John's fork as a bridge).

You are appreciated.

I'm trying the experimental build for my AC68. So far all is well.

I just have a question about the Adaptive QOS section. In the bandwidth monitor sub-section I see a nice upload and download meter with DHCP clients listed. I have left each client as "empty", not assigning any of the clients to any of the choices of priority.

In the QOS sub-section "enable smart QOS" is turned off. This is what I want.

I just want to make sure that there is no QOS happening on my router. I'm fine with the bandwidth monitor display, but I want to make sure it's not throttling according to any rule.

Also, I'm noticing in that bandwidth monitor sub-section that while connected to VPN (router is connected with openvpn client 1) the upload and download of a client is being summed and combined all in the upload category, both as a whole of all clients and for the individual client. So, there seems to be a bug there. Or maybe connecting to VPN will necessarily fool this?

Anyway, thanks for the great firmware RMerlin!

Nice,Very Nice:D

I've been really loving the .50 betas, and so far this final is just fine.

You've really made my 87 into a reliable workhorse. Never had better wireless coverage and the throughout on 4 servers out in the garage is more than I could ever expect (using an RT-N66u with John's fork as a bridge).

You are appreciated.

All the wifi credit should actually go to Asus. I'm just reusing their drivers, chances are the newer version I'm using is better than their last public release.

I have notified them that it is now out of beta but no reply yet.

I urge everyone who is using the Astrill app to submit a support ticket to get this fixed.

Give them time - the release happened late Friday night, and it's currently the weekend.

I had to do factory reset after updating it from Beta 1. The internet connection just didn't work. Local lan did work though.

I see this in the release notes -

NEW: Merged with Asus GPL 378_4129 code.

What changes are in 4129?

Thanks

All the wifi credit should actually go to Asus. I'm just reusing their drivers, chances are the newer version I'm using is better than their last public release.

Sure, except your versions are more stable.

Take the complement!

Merlin said this in post #1 :

a factory default reset is required, followed by a manual reconfiguration of your settings.

This is not required if you were already running the 378.50 betas.

So if you were not running a 50 beta then you indeed need to factory reset after you install the new version.

Thank you for your answer, but my question wasn't weather I need to perform factory reset or not... I know I have to and even if I didn't have, it's OK if I do it. It would just require me inputting all the settings manually once again, but that's OK.

My question was this:

Thank you for your answer, but my question wasn't weather I need to perform factory reset or not... I know I have to and even if I didn't have, it's OK if I do it. It would just require me inputting all the settings manually once again, but that's OK.

My question was this:

You should update to 378.50_0 first then do the factory reset on it.

SHA256 checks out.

Getting

Message from webpage
OK

Did you change the CFE on the router to 1.0.2.0? If not then the router will reject the firmware.

I had to do factory reset after updating it from Beta 1. The internet connection just didn't work. Local lan did work though.

I see this in the release notes -

NEW: Merged with Asus GPL 378_4129 code.

What changes are in 4129?

Thanks

I don't have any changelog, but based on what saw in the code: not much. Asus fixed the System page issues related to the new DST code, they implemented a fix to the loopback for the RT-AC87U (and possibly other DPI-enabled devices as well). Dnsmasq was updated to the latest code, as well as odhcp6c (I already had some of the upstream changes in beta releases). There was also a newer build of the Quantenna firmware, no idea what's changed in it. The rest is related to other router models.

I upgraded from 49_5 (with a factory reset for the first time since my first Merlin long ago) and just came to say it seems to be working well. I only run my router in AP mode. The webui seems much faster. When I factory reset long ago the UI defaulted to the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5G networks so that is how I ran it. This time it defaulted to different SSID so I will run with that this time and see how it goes. Not sure which is the best approach.

All looks good, thanks Merlin.

Greetings-

Loaded 378.50 on an RT-N16.

I had been running Tomato-Shibby, but for some compatibility reason they build it without some kernel bits (fastnat and CTF I think?) Anyway, starting to bottleneck my connection. So tried the stock firmware (~20-30MB speed inprovement) but had the following issue, and the same issue with the Asuswrt-Merlin build:

I have a 6core server that mostly does Zoneminder(Records security cameras with an analog card and IP cameras) but also sidelines as a game server.

When I try to make port rules for it, it seems like they don't pass. The server (HLDS) gets out and talks to host servers, but you can not conenct to it from the outside world.

As I test, I DMZ'd it, and turned off the firewall. Couldn't reach it, however could reach a webserver on the same machine.

So, Port rules don't work, DMZ doesn't work.

I'm a little burned out on it, so have stopped short of digging around in telnet/ssh for more.

I'm generally pretty good at this kind of thing (and it was working under tomato, and other HW before the Asus, I've done it before.) :rolleyes:

Any non-obvious (or even obvious) reason it might not pass 27030:27039 TCP, 27000:27015 and 1200 UDP? Seems straight forward, tried multiple times, resets, different ways of specifying them (actually don't need the whole range, so did explicit ports.)

Seem in DMZ with no firewall, there should be no possible way to screw it up.

FWIW, inside the LAN, works as expected.

Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!