What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.52 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 378.52 is now available for all supported models.

UPDATE: 378.52_2 is now available, resolving the following issues:
  • CHANGED: Updated AiCloud prebuilt binaries for MIPS models
  • CHANGED: Applied kernel patch for MIPS kernel ported from 376_3861, related to CTF support
  • FIXED: AiCloud would fail to start unless you had HTTPS enabled for the webui (causing the key/cert to be missing)
  • FIXED: DDNS hostname would become corrupted after backing up your router configuration (Asus bug)

A factory default reset is strongly recommended for the RT-AC87U, due to the changes in the Quantenna firmware.

For RT-AC3200 users, go to the Smart Connect page, and click on the button to revert it to its default settings if you are using Smart Connect, to switch to the latest rules from Asus.

For RT-AC56U users coming from a non-DPI enabled build, a factory default reset is also recommended.

For the others, the recommendations written in the documentation apply.

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with Asus's GPL 378_4608. The Quantenna firmware from 378_4950 was also merged, incorporating stability fixes.
  • Security improvements to the HTTPS webui: RC4 support was removed, and ECDHE support was added. The preferred cipher will now be ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA (if supported by your browser).
  • The DPI engine is now part of the regular RT-AC56U firmware.
  • Improvements to the DHCP server: you can now supply a second DNS server to your client, and you can also disable the advertisement of the router's own IP as a DNS server.
  • EXPERIMENTAL: Tor support has been added, based on Asus's own code. You can find it in the VPN section of the webui.
  • Openssl (1.0.0r) and miniupnpd (1.9.20150309) were updated.
  • Various performance optimisations were applied to the firmware, more specifically to the webui server, dropbear (SSHD) and various rc services.
  • Numerous tweaks and bug fixes related to the JFFS2 partition. Formatting should now work more reliably and not require a second reboot. You can also no longer disable the JFFS2 partition if you have Traffic Analyzer enabled (as it requires this partition to store its database). Finally, the firmware version report should now be more consistant with our numbering scheme (this is also reflected on the firmware filename now).
  • Other webui tweaks: removed obsolete support for the Turbo button, the Wireless Client refresh rate is now stored in a browser cookie, RT-AC3200-related fixes to the Sysinfo page, missing/extra pages were corrected while in AP or Repeater mode.
  • WAN startup failures at boot time on the RT-AC87U should now be resolved (note: my original fix in alpha3 has been replaced by a more appropriate fix provided by Asus)
  • Uniform version number reference throughout the webui (the firmware filename now also uses the correct, shorter version string)
  • A lot of other miscellaneous fixes, see the changelog for the complete list

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Asuswrt-Merlin 378.52 is now available for all supported models.

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with Asus's GPL 378_4608. The Quantenna firmware from 378_4950 was also merged, incorporating stability fixes.
  • Security improvements to the HTTPS webui: RC4 support was removed, and ECDHE support was added. The preferred cipher will now be ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA (if supported by your browser).
  • The DPI engine is now part of the regular RT-AC56U firmware.
  • Improvements to the DHCP server: you can now supply a second DNS server to your client, and you can also disable the advertisement of the router's own IP as a DNS server.
  • EXPERIMENTAL: Tor support has been added, based on Asus's own code. You can find it in the VPN section of the webui.
    [*]openssl (1.0.0r) and miniupnpd (1.9.20150309) were updated.
  • Various performance optimisations were applied to the firmware, more specifically to the webui server, dropbear (SSHD) and various rc services.
  • Numerous tweaks and bug fixes related to the JFFS2 partition. Formatting should now work more reliably and not require a second reboot. You can also no longer disable the JFFS2 partition if you have Traffic Analyzer enabled (as it requires this partition to store its database). Finally, the firmware version report should now be more consistant with our numbering scheme (this is also reflected on the firmware filename now).
  • Other webui tweaks: removed obsolete support for the Turbo button, the Wireless Client refresh rate is now stored in a browser cookie, RT-AC3200-related fixes to the Sysinfo page, missing/extra pages were corrected while in AP or Repeater mode.
  • WAN startup failures at boot time on the RT-AC87U should now be resolved (note: my original fix in alpha3 has been replaced by a more appropriate fix provided by Asus)
  • Uniform version number reference throughout the webui (the firmware filename now also uses the correct, shorter version string)
  • A lot of other miscellaneous fixes, see the changelog for the complete list

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Does this firmware incorporate the updates from yesterday AC87U update 4950 firmware?

Excellent - thank you so much for all the effort on this one. I loaded the alpha3 and it has been rock solid - having the updated Quantenna firmware should only make it better. Thanks!!

The 4950 code is not merged, because:

1) It came out less than 24 hours ago
2) It contains a lot of change that will take days to merge, plus weeks to test and debug
3) The GPL release is missing a bunch of files
4) The whole 378.52 release was developped and test around 378_4608. This firmware isn't Duke Nuke'em Forever, I ain't gonna update to the latest engine^H^H^H^H^H^HGPL every 3 months to cause a 5 years delay in its release ;)

Only the Quantenna firmware was merged because it's independent from the rest of the firmware, and also because that updated Quantenna firmware had nearly two weeks of test time behind it.

The 4950 code is not merged, because:

1) It came out less than 24 hours ago
2) It contains a lot of change that will take days to merge, plus weeks to test and debug
3) The GPL release is missing a bunch of files
4) The whole 378.52 release was developped and test around 378_4608. This firmware isn't Duke Nuke'em Forever, I ain't gonna update to the latest engine^H^H^H^H^H^HGPL every 3 months to cause a 5 years delay in its release ;)

Only the Quantenna firmware was merged because it's independent from the rest of the firmware, and also because that updated Quantenna firmware had nearly two weeks of test time behind it.
Hi Merlin,
I'm unable to load this new update as my router (RTN66U) says invalid file format?
Jeff

Installed on AC87U without problems. ... However, the traffic analyser is extremely slow... ... Could be a glitch at my side. Will try to reset trafic files....

Thank you very much for this release Merlin! I've just uploaded to my AC87U without problems so far... !

Cheers,
Dragster

Hi Merlin,
I'm unable to load this new update as my router (RTN66U) says invalid file format?
Jeff

Loaded fine on my N66. Make sure you are trying to load the file in the Firmware Upgrade tab and not the Restore/Save/Upload Setting Tab. I did that once and was confused until I realized my mistake.

Can't load it on RT-AC68U - error "Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

sha256sum correct

EDIT: Rebooted router ... and it upgraded correctly

Last edited:
Loaded fine on my N66. Make sure you are trying to load the file in the Firmware Upgrade tab and not the Restore/Save/Upload Setting Tab. I did that once and was confused until I realized my mistake.

That was it. Sorry for being dumb and giving a false alarm.

Probably a good idea for RT-AC87U users to do a factory default reset, unless you were previously running the alpha 3 test build.

For RT-AC3200 users, go to the Smart Connect page, and click on the button to revert it to its default settings if you are using Smart Connect, to switch to the latest rules from Asus.

Using the non DPI version of .51 on a AC56U. Is a factory reset required moving to .52?

Already done a factory reset here for my 87U. Is it just me or overlocking doesn't work over telnet now? The commands take but the GUI doesn't show the new clock speed. Tried 1200,800 and 1400,800.

Using the non DPI version of .51 on a AC56U. Is a factory reset required moving to .52?

Probably a good idea, yes (totally forgot that the DPI engine had become part of the regular build starting with 378.52).

Hi RMerlin.

Installed on my AC87U, Did a reset before and after the install. The only thing that is not working here is the Wi-Fi 5Ghz settings page. 2.4Ghz settings pages are ok. Browser (chrome) message is ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE.

Update: In the Microsoft Explorer it works ok. I think its a chrome problem.

Last edited:
Already done a factory reset here for my 87U. Is it just me or overlocking doesn't work over telnet now? The commands take but the GUI doesn't show the new clock speed. Tried 1200,800 and 1400,800.
I have my router at 1200/800MHz and it is showing up in my sysinfo page. Try flushing your browsing cache or use a different browser.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!