What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin, guys. I am still having problem with what i can only call latency on 380 release and had same problem with 378 release code.
What happens is that when i request new page by clicking on link it takes 5-10 seconds, yes seconds for page to come up in chrome.
With 374 release i have no such issue. I'm on rt-66u router. I have all extensions disabled in chrome. When i do wifi speed test i pull really good speeds 70Mbps on N card so speed is NOT the issue but rather latency of browsing. Not sure what is causing that but i really wanna move onto new code but with 5-10 seconds delay it's simply not doable. I have already disabled hardware acceleration in chrome as it was even slower. It almost seems like there is some major issue with new code. I don't know but this is major for me.

Any thoughts on this Merlin, John, guys?

No issue here on 380.57 on N66U other than the QOS client list having no add/delete icons.

Attachments

• traffic manager.JPG
    traffic manager.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 559
Thanks for the wonderful work to you Eric. Did anybody test MU-MIMO?
462c733b7d9222ebaa7df46efeb85a59.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you guys have any idea why after installed this firmware my sinology nas waking exactly every hour.

Also have these random wakes up. Even some time every 20 minutes or every 60 minutes. I think I had these issues with the previous version as well.

Actually, the latest ASUS release is the original source of the 2.4 GHz/no internet bug. The Merlin Alpha versions, including nearly all the Alpha 4s worked fine until the new SDK and Wi-Fi drivers from this new ASUS firmware were incorporated into what is now the latest Merlin release. Then the Merlin version broke the 2.4 side too. ;)

There is basically no escape from this bug if you happen to own a ASUS router that is effected by it. Only way to currently resolve the issue with the dead 2.4 GHz internet connection is to flash back to either the previous public release of Merlin or the previous public release of the stock firmware from ASUS.
This bug, or another one - nevermind, but, 380.57, as far as I can remember - buggiest merlin release ever! There's much good features announced, but, how to taste them, if the router "die" (just deadly hung) after just a day of work...
So, my case: AC87 upgraded from 378.56_2, work on 2,4 and 5 GHz, and, just hungs - no internet, connected notebooks, pads, still have their IPs, but there's no LAN, and no WAN traffic.
Also, after a clean reboot of AC87, I've tried to send a endless ping (-t key in Windows) from a notebook, to a working Wi-fi repeater, so, after ~ 30 mins - there's no ping, and no LAN - router just deadly hunged (and, no reaction for a "LED" key on a case, too!!!)
Another seen symptoms: after ~12 hours of a not heavy load, on a WEBUI seen a 100% load of one core of CPU, and, in 10 mins - just another hung; ping showed in WarThunder game (connect on 5 GHz) vary from 20 to 999 msec (!), but, when reverted to 378.56_2 - just stable 10-20 msecs.
Very disapointed....

Just tried. Yes same result in firefox. Although I have my chrome opened with 20+ tabs. I checked my resources and out of 4gb ram i have only 1gb left due to chrome windows using it. Should be enough tho

Your DNS settings are identical to what they were beforehand?

Worth maybe temporarily changing your DNS, just to eliminate that part of the route. Eg if you're now on Google 8.8.8.8, try OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 .

And it's the same story whichever device and browser is connected to the router?

Worthwhile connecting via an ethernet cable just to eliminate the wireless link?

Don't blame Eric for it.
As stated in several threads Asus is putting more and more code in closed-sources. So there isn't much in Erics hands to do something about it. And as written in this thread someone already opened an official issue ticket some days ago about the broken Wifi and Asus didn't release an update yet. So it seems tricky.

This release also contains many changes and new drivers and support for new models. Perhaps it was a little bit to much for one single release. And perhaps not the best time to release it on christmas, as many users will have time to install it, but Eric will spend some time with his family and can't provide as much support as in the past these days.

But to be honest, Eric released several alpha versions the last weeks and I can't remember any reports about such big issues. So he had to assume that it is well tested.
So I think with the growing number of supported models and the closed sources it is necessary to establish a better QA for next releases. Perhaps some experienced users will create an sort of test group and will support Eric. The tests should also cover a fix checklist of the most important features. It's a great community here, so perhaps there is a way to create such support.

[Update]

It seemed to resolve after a second power cycle. I left this version 380.57 soak over night. Still no USB 3 working. I then did a power off, waited 10 minutes, powered on and bam USB 3 port will now mount. Very strange because the way I flash is:

• stop all entware services
  • dismount the USB flash drive
  • remove flash drive
  • upload new firmware
  • wait for router to start
  • go into config reset to factory
  • wait for router to start
  • power off/power on
  • begin restoring configuation via UI / some NVRAM commands for host names.

First time this has failed for me.

For me, this did NOT work (but thanks for your input), I am using a Sandisk Extreme 3.0 version USB stick, so it may be a different stick you are using, but it seems to only effect the Sandisk 3.0 Sticks for some reason.

So as far as I am concerned, it only effects Sandisk USB 3.0 sticks, and will need to be reported as a bug and commit-ed into the new firmware, and I have no clue on where to do this.

My Transend 3.0 works just fine though.

Last edited:
Did you already try to disable the "USB 3.0 interference" setting?
Any "dmesg" output?

Yes, and no dmesg output. No changes in the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 Stick, it simply will not recognize it.

But like I have stated, it recognizes a different USB 3.0 stick however the reason I purchased the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 was for speed, and now I have lost that, because I now am using a slower stick, which has defeated the purpose of the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 purchase altogether.

So it is an issue, not only for me, but other Sandisk users.

Appreciate your response.

462c733b7d9222ebaa7df46efeb85a59.jpg

I also have RT-AC87U but I don't see this feature (MU-MIMO) in my settings.

1)I want to connect sip you can add the item to the firmware?

2) how to lower the rate for the guest up to 1 megabit?

Attachments

• IPTV.png
    IPTV.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 569
  • Безымянный.png
    Безымянный.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 475

I see it but not turning it on since it requires a MU-MIMO device to leverage it. So far I don't have any.

I also have RT-AC87U but I don't see this feature (MU-MIMO) in my settings.

What version do you have installed on your RT-AC87U?? Im running Merlins latest 380.57_0 and I have it to.

I cant seem to change the Mac adddress information. Allows me to change Icon and Name, but actual address seems not to be editable. Am i missing something. This is in the mac filter tab and I get the Mac address as 5C:8D:5E:A7:A6:00&#38#38#38#38#62iPhone. I some some posts on running some scripts on SSH to clear. Not sure what SSH is and where to run scripts. Newbie

Last edited:
This bug, or another one - nevermind, but, 380.57, as far as I can remember - buggiest merlin release ever! There's much good features announced, but, how to taste them, if the router "die" (just deadly hung) after just a day of work...

Going from 378 branch to 380 is a giant step forward. Getting GPL codes properly merged, compiled successfully, binaries for various models generated. Flash, boot, boom. Running well for lots of alpha testers and some release users. You're one of less lucky folks.

That's sad but you have the option to be a laggard. Or if you're the type of always wanting to stay on the edge. Then simply take one step back, revert to 378.56.

Even more cool next time volunteer to alpha tests, with you skill, attention to detail, you could do a favour to the community and give a pleasant experience to the next grunter...:D

(Just in case you haven't, do a full factory reset, and manually set up for 380)

Do you guys have any idea why after installed this firmware my sinology nas waking exactly every hour.
This happens to me as well with several of the latest Asus and Merlin firmware. At the start of EVERY hour my Synology NAS HDDs wake up from sleep.

I've gone back to a year old Asus firmware for now that keeps my NAS asleep all day if not accessed, tired of testing...

So, my case: AC87 upgraded from 378.56_2, work on 2,4 and 5 GHz, and, just hungs - no internet, connected notebooks, pads, still have their IPs, but there's no LAN, and no WAN traffic.
Also, after a clean reboot of AC87, I've tried to send a endless ping (-t key in Windows) from a notebook, to a working Wi-fi repeater, so, after ~ 30 mins - there's no ping, and no LAN - router just deadly hunged (and, no reaction for a "LED" key on a case, too!!!)
Another seen symptoms: after ~12 hours of a not heavy load, on a WEBUI seen a 100% load of one core of CPU, and, in 10 mins - just another hung; ping showed in WarThunder game (connect on 5 GHz) vary from 20 to 999 msec (!), but, when reverted to 378.56_2 - just stable 10-20 msecs.
Very disapointed....

Im not sure why you are disapointed?? You had alot of time to test all the alpha versions like the rest of us in here? I did try them all on my RT-AC87U and had no problem at all and now running 380.57_0 (15 hours without any hangs or anything at all).

So come in here and make a jump from 378.56_2 to 380.57_0 and call it the buggiest version ever is not nice at all, me for myself is very happy that Merlin on his freetime do this at all, I would not have kept mine AC87 if I needed to run stock firmware.

So please behave and play nice because I can understand if something goes wrong and not working that nobody will be happy but then again to be rude you wont get any help at all.

See screenshot from my RT-AC87U with firmware version 380.57_0 with 12-14 client in network for the moment,

Attachments

• ac87u_380.57_0.JPG
    ac87u_380.57_0.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 459
This happens to me as well with several of the latest Asus and Merlin firmware. At the start of EVERY hour my Synology NAS HDDs wake up from sleep.

I've gone back to a year old Asus firmware for now that keeps my NAS asleep all day if not accessed, tired of testing...

Have you checked Asus official thread?? Asus did change in their close-source how the network map check clients and now they have a beta for this, check nr 3 (3. Update client list in real-time to react offline or sleeping device) under "Enhanced points"

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/be...hecking-bug-in-network-map.29269/#post-225954

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!