What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's the essence of a public forum: Anyone can answer the questions asked. That's why. If you want an exclusive contact, the forum provides the tool 'PM' . So either send a PM or live with the fact that publicly posted question can/will be answered by anyone. Your choice.

In fact, a lot of people that come here are grateful for answers, whether they come directly from RMerlin or from informed users. Those who want only RMerlin's answers are free to ignore the others.

In fact, a lot of people that come here are grateful for answers, whether they come directly from RMerlin or from informed users. Those who want only RMerlin's answers are free to ignore the others.

yes,But if I ask a question addressed to the author,I want to hear it from the horse,not 5
opinions of what merlin might or might not say

yes,But if I ask a question addressed to the author,I want to hear it from the horse,not 5

You appear to have missed what I said about disregarding answers from others...Maybe you can't just ignore those? Too bad, because you're going to be getting them if you ask questions on a forum. Sounds like forums may not be for you, then. PM's are always available and then you can control who answers your questions (but that's already been said).

Someone has already tested this firmware on the asus 88u. If so what are the results. And what's the difference compared to the latest asus firmware.

Someone has already tested this firmware on the asus 88u. If so what are the results. And what's the difference compared to the latest asus firmware.

I have the AC3100 same as the 88U minus the extra lan ports and it works great no issues here what so ever. Can't comment on the latest Asus builds never used them.

The wireless performance on both bands for RT-AC68U is just awful with this build (yes i did the factory restore and reconfigure). I have tested a lot with both N and AC clients and it’s a real mess. The clients were in the exact same location as always, so was the router. I also did a wired speedtest for my 500 mbps PPPoE connection and cannot get passed 300 mbps. Going back to previous build resolved all performance issues. I strongly advise RT-AC68U users to stay away from this build.

Updated my N66u from 378.56_2 to 380.57_0 now the 2.4G wifi switches off after 14 hours!! Reloaded 378.56_2 hopefully that will fix this issue.

The digest is wrong due to data being altered so auth fails. SIP alg's should never be used as almost all carriers depend on auth. The router doesn't know the shared secret so can not generate a correct digest. The point of the digest is to prove there was no man in the middle altering data!

Plus also most alg's do not support all known sip protocols so may miss some data, so you end up with half "fixed" and half left wrong but with all of it with wrong digest.

Unless a router wants to be a session border controller for sip(in essence a sip proxy), it should not touch the data.

The sip client as you said should fill sip messages with external IP, the routers nat will fix IP headers only.

ps Most voip providers run SBC that can manage your sip data containing only your internal IP.
380.57 unlike previous version have bad habit regarding to SIP: it receive UDP answer from the SIP server only if "SIP Passthrough" in the NAT Passthrough is turned ON (default).
I don't need any passthrough since my machine is connected directly to the router and its NAT and I don't use any VPN, so I disable it and it works in all previous firmwares.

I also see that SIP Passthrough needs to be enabled for SIP devices to work now. I just spent 2hr on the phone with my VoIP folks (1-VoIP...there US based support is great) trying all kinds of options ultimately proving there was nothing outside my network going wrong.

While it is great SIP Passthrough looks to be working, there is something funky going on. After the firmware upgrade from RT-AC66U_378.56_2 neither my softphone nor SIP router could register with
SIP Passthrough = Disabled and Port Forwarding UDP 5060-5160 and 10000-20000.
I also put the SIP router in the DMZ and still no registration.
I also turned off the firewall and still no registration.

I set SIP Passthrough to enabled and viola SIP and softphone registration.
I set it back to disabled and again no registration.

So the strange thing here is that neither port forward, DMZ, nor turning off the firewall allowed SIP registration.

If there is something I can try to help debug this wierdness, please let me know.

Thanks Ron <><

Last edited:
And who are you to disqualify others on the board to answer a publicly posted question? If you don't want to be bothered by others, send a PM. That's what they're there for.

yes,But if I ask a question addressed to the author,I want to hear it from the horse,

#1. I agree with EddieZ there are many people that have a great deal of knowledge here on this forum.
#2. The horse is Merlin. Have you not noticed he has not posted in this thread except post one were he says he has personal issues to take of at this time ?

First I would like to thank Merlin for his work on these releases. I am sure he is aware, but we are all very appreciative for his time and commitment to this project. Few of us do what you do, so through the gripes and complaints you hear, there are vastly more people who are thankful. If we weren't, we'd run stock firmware....

I uploaded 380.57 to my RT-AC87U and it has been pretty good until 40 minutes ago when there was a random reboot of my router. I don't know where or how to post any information that could be useful to you if needs be. Much thanks for helping me to fight off the inferior routers, with intrusive signals, in my neighborhood.

#2. The horse is Merlin. Have you not noticed he has not posted in this thread except post one were he says he has personal issues to take of at this time ?

Merlin is getting old and has joined the snowbirds fleeing Canada's winter frost - now vacationing in sunny Belize. Give the man a break :)

Did it ever occur to you that at this very moment, the horse does not care? :rolleyes:

No offense but there are bigger issues in the world and right now, at this very moment, your concern is not Merlin's. :D

There has never been a RAM issue. Please read RMerlin's remarks in the 357 branch.
Strangely enough people install 'tons' of memory and striving to never use it...

as windows users, when we exhaust memory by seeing % used... this why we don't like when ram usage gets high and isn't cleared.

joegreat makes a good explanation why linux works differently.....

thought i'm still unsure, how to tell when linux tops out on ram, how do you tell if it's near maxed out all the time ;x

Lol what a story for just a RFD
And if ASUS just FORGOT! to write :
※Notice: After upgraded the firmware please press the hardware reset button of router over 5~10 seconds to reset the router. "" o_O

I second RogerSC " On the other hand, as other posters have said, if you don't want to do a factory default reset, then don't."
and if your router goes weird then RFD,.... thats all! :)

Happy New year

merlin said for this firmware, factory reset is a must for the RT-AC68u and he explained why. people really ought to read his first post in the thread :x

Wow, talk about reading comprehension. I give up replying to you and will see if anyone else want to chime in.
merlin alrdy said why. if you still ignore his caution for reset factory for this firmware if you use a ac68u router, then any issues is at your own discretion.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!