What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After upgrade I noticed there are no AiProtection logs on my RT-AC88U. Before I had daily attack attempts from China, Russia, etc.
Anyone having the same issue ?
Is AiProtection stil working ?
Thanks.

AsusWrtMerlin.jpg

After upgrade I noticed there are no AiProtection logs on my RT-AC88U. Before I had daily attack attempts from China, Russia, etc.
Anyone having the same issue ?
Is AiProtection stil working ?
Thanks.

View attachment 26297
Tried AiProtection awhile ago, wasn't impressed, now using skynet instead. Highly recommend.

Anyone experiencing issues updating Entware packages?
That looks like the router's USB drive may be full or either the USB, if it is a key, may be worn out and put itself into ReadOnly mode. Use "df -h" to see if it is full. If it is not and is still not writeable, then many times these USB keys will go into ReadOnly mode when they are failing.

There are a few posts and threads around where people recommend using a smaller SATA SSD USB drive + UGREEN case to get much better performance to/from the USB and substantially better longevity.

There is a reset button on the back/bottom of the device, depending on the orientation of your router.
Read here for reset: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000925/
From here I was able to install the latest firmware and followed Merlin's instructions for wiping the JFFS partition and so on...
I hope I was able to answer your question.

Cheers,

X
Thank you for your clarification.

Reactions: xdj
That looks like the router's USB drive may be full or either the USB, if it is a key, may be worn out and put itself into ReadOnly mode. Use "df -h" to see if it is full. If it is not and is still not writeable, then many times these USB keys will go into ReadOnly mode when they are failing.

There are a few posts and threads around where people recommend using a smaller SATA SSD USB drive + UGREEN case to get much better performance to/from the USB and substantially better longevity.

The USB drive shouldn't be full and I can update amtm applications without issues, but entware packages fails?

Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi:rootfs_ubifs         69.4M     67.5M      1.9M  97% /
devtmpfs                441.1M         0    441.1M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   441.2M    628.0K    440.6M   0% /var
tmpfs                   441.2M      6.6M    434.6M   1% /tmp/mnt
mtd:bootfs                5.1M      4.2M    992.0K  81% /bootfs
mtd:data                  8.0M      5.9M      2.1M  74% /data
tmpfs                   441.2M      6.6M    434.6M   1% /tmp/mnt
tmpfs                   441.2M      6.6M    434.6M   1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock9           63.0M      4.6M     58.4M   7% /jffs
/dev/sda2                28.0G      1.1G     25.5G   4% /tmp/mnt/sda2
/dev/sda1               193.7M    184.4M         0 100% /tmp/mnt/sda1
tmpfs                   441.2M      6.6M    434.6M   1% /www/index_style.css
ubi:rootfs_ubifs         69.4M     67.5M      1.9M  97% /usr/sbin/tc
tmpfs                   441.2M      6.6M    434.6M   1% /www/require/modules/menuTree.js

Just wanted to give a quick thumbs up having been rock solid on 384.19 on my RT-AC86U (router mode) and RT-AC68P (AI-Mesh) for 24 days without a hiccup. Following getting things on this build, it's been completely stable.

AiProtection & skynet work well together.
Well, for now AiProtection produce no logs on my router so I'm not even sure it's running and protecting.
Still, no one have this issue ? I mean AiProtection is present and enabled by default in the Merlin firmware, if anyone have the same issue please let me know.
Thanks.

I had an issue with this rls on 68U and 86U, if I install scribe log etc I lose access to Ssh even though it's enabled, I have SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB3 connected in both and when the error occurs in the log says something about and idle issue with the USB. So, I dropped back to 384.18 and works no issue.

Yes, I did do a nuclear reset on both when putting 19 on and when setting up it would bork again, I got tired of it and dropped back to 18 and works no issue at all.

Well, for now AiProtection produce no logs on my router so I'm not even sure it's running and protecting.
Still, no one have this issue ? I mean AiProtection is present and enabled by default in the Merlin firmware, if anyone have the same issue please let me know.
Thanks.
I don't have any indication AIP is working either other than the fact the buttons show Green indicating that they're on. In the past, I would get listings of defeated attacks but now there isn't anything showing. And I guess that's great, I'm protected, but it just seems odd not seeing any attacks having been made. Maybe my ISP is blocking everything now, I don't know, curious.

The USB drive shouldn't be full and I can update amtm applications without issues, but entware packages fails?
Hmmm, not a super linux expert but is there any chance entware is installed on sda1?

What about -> /dev/sda1 193.7M 184.4M 0 100% /tmp/mnt/sda1

Last edited:
Thanks.

I believe it is still working, when I tested the trend micro test url i.e. http://wrs49.winshipway.com/ then the router block page comes up, but there is no log entry update in the gui. Peviously when I have tested it using this url then there would be a log entry in the gui and it would also email me the alert. So it seems the feature is functional (or at least the dodgy webpage protection part is), and it is just the logging and subsequent emailing of alerts that are broken.

I know the trend micro stuff is closed source, so probably nothing rmerlin can do until the next gpl merge that may hopefully resolve it.

One question I have for rmerlin about ai protection though. I understand it is closed source but do you have any ability to modify the email alerts section of it's gui? It would be great to be able to specify my own smtp server settings in there (in my case my MS exchange server) rather than just being limited to the list of providers on the drop down menu. Obviously a bit of a moot point at the moment since its's not logging anything (and therefore not emailing anything) but it would be a great option to have it possible.

Last edited:
I don't have any indication AIP is working either other than the fact the buttons show Green indicating that they're on. In the past, I would get listings of defeated attacks but now there isn't anything showing. And I guess that's great, I'm protected, but it just seems odd not seeing any attacks having been made. Maybe my ISP is blocking everything now, I don't know, curious.

I don't think suddenly all the attacks stopped. Seems AiProtection is working (according to Phil Outram's test) so probably it's just the logging part broken. As long as AiProtection works it's fine, probably Merlin will fix it in the next version.

Thanks.

Just wanted to give a quick thumbs up having been rock solid on 384.19 on my RT-AC86U (router mode) and RT-AC68P (AI-Mesh) for 24 days without a hiccup. Following getting things on this build, it's been completely stable.
Just curious, are you running amtm and/or any associated scripts? From scanning the posts in this thread, it appears that there may be an interaction there. Those with RT-AC86Us that don't use JFFS / scripts / etc. seem to be more trouble-free with 384.19 than those who run the scripts. I'm curious as to your setup to see if this may be the main contributor to the issues.

I don't think suddenly all the attacks stopped. Seems AiProtection is working (according to Phil Outram's test) so probably it's just the logging part broken. As long as AiProtection works it's fine, probably Merlin will fix it in the next version.

Thanks.
Yes, as I noted as well, it seems to work, it's just that there's no confirmation of that in the GUI. And I'm not sure that this is something that Merlin can fix as it's closed source, but you never know!:)

Just bought an RT-AX88U to replace my RT-AC3200. Will I be able just do a backup using nvram-save-restore-utility, move the usb stick to the new router and then restore the settings? I know there are some differences, but would it work?
Or is it best to start over using the GUI?

Just bought an RT-AX88U to replace my RT-AC3200. Will I be able just do a backup using nvram-save-restore-utility, move the usb stick to the new router and then restore the settings? I know there are some differences, but would it work?

I wouldn't... do the wax on, wax off routine.. start from scratch...

Based on my PITB with my AC86U + 384.19, if you are going to use it, I strongly recommend not moving anything in any file. I've done this before and plan to do it again. But yes, supposedly you can backup the config file on one router and move it to a new router of a different model per ASUS.. .but most people here would not recommend that route based on years of experience. YMMV.
  1. Connect the WAN port of your NEW unit into one of the 4 ports on the back of your old router.
  2. Connect your PC to one of the 4/internal ports on the NEW router so you can talk to it. I prefer to alwasy use Port1.
  3. Boot the router and do a basic setup. The new router might complain it sees a 192.x subnet - ignore it.
  4. Now you can do a page by page compare and once you have the ASUS parts setup, then you can swap them and put your NEW unit as your main door-way.
  5. You should be able to reach your OLD router by using the IP of it through your new router since it will allow that traffic to pass out of the new and into the old INTERNAL side. I do this all the time... but they have to be on different subnets. So if the older router is sitting on 192.168.50.x.. make the new router use 192.168.51.x.
  6. Then you can change the IP subnet (192.168.X....) to whatever you want and reboot noting that your login IP will change to that subnet. (This is optional if you just want to keep the new subnet.
  7. Then if you want to add AMTM tooling, you can but don't do this unitl your are happy with the IPS b/c it carries some IP info in the control files.
  8. That's the "cleanest" way people have been saying they have had success in getting from 384.18 to 384.19 on an AC86U with the /JFFS and other pains. IDK yet b/c I've not done that path.
  9. I've considered ditching the AC86U as my main and making it an WAP and still might but b/c the AX88U is a horizontal model and the area where the main lives does not have a lot of space, I've always used the "vertical" models and the AX86U is not yet supported by RMerlin, so that's off my play list. ;)
Quick Update on my AC86U + 384.19
  1. My AC86U + 384.19 has been up for about 3 days now. It's lasted longer than it has since I moved to 384.19. What I did...
    1. Disabled all the J* scripts except Diversion, Skynet, ntpMerlin
    2. Made sure everything was updated in AMTM
    3. Turned off TrendMicro's AIProtect in the router.
      1. This was the last thing I did which seems to have stopped the unplanned reboots.
      2. This is also the same thing that generates all those traps in the logs.
Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: xdj
So, my AC86U was up for 17 hours, then it rebooted about 15 min ago.
Again, only about 5 devices were connected, sorry 6, I forgot about the AC66U_B1.
There's nothing special running on the AC86U, it's pretty bare at the moment. I've been watching the Syslog periodically and nothing popped except when it rebooted by itself. I was just modifying a google doc when I noticed it said no connection on the google doc web page.
I was streaming a show on Netflix on my TV, working on a doc in Google with my laptop and my daughter was on her phone checking the status of her Doordash meal.
The only issue I have at the moment is that I can not Telnet into the router, I get a connection error with Putty. And of course, the periodic rebooting.
So, I've attached the Syslog file for anyone to browse but I've done everything possible to upgrade to 384.19.
I'm giving up... I'll start again in the morning since my wife will be home soon from work and she'll want to watch a little tv before bed and I don't want to be messing around with the network when she's home reverting back to 384.18.
The whole reason she went into work today was because of the issues I was having with the update!

Link to Syslog to view: https://bit.ly/33CMWaF

IMHO, it's not rocket science. This router is a consumer-based product and you literally should be able to plug it in and it works. Mind you we're using third-party firmware but it's better than the original. Yes, I know...there's some minor configuration to get it up and running but it's very minor. It basically plug n play.
I've spent quite a bit of time today going over pages and pages of fixes, modifications, tricks of the trade, etc on how to get the router to work and diagnosing and testing for issues.
I just can't get over all the suggestions and literal SOP's to get this device to work... it's mind-boggling to read all the information on troubleshooting.
I'm glad I'm not in the industry anymore because I think I spent more time troubleshooting network issues at home than I ever did at work!
Sorry for the rant...I'm hangry, tired, and fed up!
I don't think it's an electrical problem, as I mentioned before, I have good ups with AVR and no other devices are being affected. Network cables in use are very short so static discharge shouldn't be an issue. Software is not my forte so I have no idea, that's why I'm here looking for answers. I'm a hardware guy...
Ok, that's my 2 cents worth for today!
My wife just walked in the door...she went straight into her home office to finish the day...fingers crossed there are no issues!!!

X

Attachments

• syslog (17).txt
    487.4 KB · Views: 289
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!