What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMerlin, while this is unfortunate news, it is not entirely surprising as you have previously talked about what a nightmare supporting so many models with an extremely fragmented code base has become. All we can do is hope that the progress being made on the "new" 386 code base (as evidenced by the now 4th build of what they are calling an RC2 firmware) quickly comes to fruition in the form of a unified release and obviously a corresponding GPL release that you can work with. This may take some time, and hopefully it gives you enough of a break to recharge your enthusiasm for this project.
Many of us certainly hope that to be the case, but will understand if that doesn't hold true, and we will remain grateful for all the years of work you have poured into this project.

@RMerlin Looking forward to your return already, and you barely left. I'm new to the party, just got my AX88U last month and been loving your firmware. FWIW, update from 18 to 19 went perfect. Pressed the donate button a few minutes a ago and sent you some beer/coffee funds (I'm also going to drink a Guiness in your honor tonight). Fingers X'd Asus sorts out this issue their end and we see you back on the developing.

I have just updated to 384.19 build and working fine, just a couple of minutes in use.

I was waiting updating exclamation mark to indicate new firmware was released but after 3 days no mark.
"update-notification" script working though. Perhaps exclamation mark indicate not working as is should. Works when I press the control button on the software update page.

octopus

@RMerlin

View attachment 25505

Happy days here too...Note the AP mode though. Not using as a router or AIMesh.

Using an AX58U for the router, traffic cop, plus wifi, running same Alpha and apparently it DOES like to crash. Just checked it, been up for only 17 hours =(. Luckily I didn't notice the reboot.

After upgrade i don't change any and this is now, the last reboot:
Captura de pantalla de 2020-08-17 10-14-28.png

This is how all over the place the current firmware + GPL release situation is, as of tonight:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Xq4I0i6lQo-RN48SGFSkKNKq8/edit#gid=2007755387

I can't deal anymore with the complete mess that 384 releases have become on Asus's end, with some GPLs being 4+ months outdated, only two models out of 10 sharing the same release, two models not even having recent enough GPLs to be compatible with every other models, etc...

I'm done with firmware releases until Asus re-unifies everything and starts issuing more regular GPL releases, which most likely won't be happening until everything is moved to the 386 code base. So, next release might be 3 months from now, 6 months from now, a year from now? I don't know, but it will take whatever time it takes. I'm tired of trying to mix and match all of these separate releases, and dealing with the aftermath.

So until then, run whatever works for you, be it 384.19, 384.18 or Asus's stock. It's out of my control, and I simply give up trying to keep it all together in the current situation.
Good call.

How can I format the JFFS partition on my 86U? When I apply the format JFFS at next boot setting, the browser barks at the admin name change on the page even if I blank the fields, so I don't know if it's applied anything at all. I've tried several browsers and it's always the same thing. My JFFS shows unmounted after many attempts and reboots.

Just to clarify: If I modify anything at all on the Administration page and hit "Apply", it wants to do something with the top area and the admin name, no matter what's in there.]

Is there an SSH way to format/fix the JFFS so I can actually see the commands working? I'm aware the command itself runs at boot time when unmounted.
I had this happen too. Its just an inconvenience and a dumb web page validation error. Just temporarily update username and password to something else along with the radio button to 'format jffs at next boot', hit apply. Then change back to what you want, hit 'apply' again.

Or you could just use the nvram set and nvram commit method a few posts down from your orig post... most of these options are just setting a nvram variable.

I also noticed my HDD spindown timer value was out of range, so I had to fix that too, only after two or three reboot attempts and it not formatting - and unable to figure out why. Pay attention to error messaged in the interface when you hit apply, dont just assumed it worked. Many of us spend a lot of time in the interface and we go on muscle memory & gloss over important messages presented to us in the interface. (Guilty)

Last edited:
Dirty flashed from 384.18 to 384.19, USB unmounted before flashing. No issues so far. Scripts: amtm, unbound Manager, nsrum, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, spdMerlin. Thank you @RMerlin!

Installed over Beta 2 with no issues so far. Thank you @RMerlin

This is how all over the place the current firmware + GPL release situation is, as of tonight:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Xq4I0i6lQo-RN48SGFSkKNKq8/edit#gid=2007755387

So until then, run whatever works for you, be it 384.19, 384.18 or Asus's stock. It's out of my control, and I simply give up trying to keep it all together in the current situation.
Sorry to hear this @RMerlin but can certainly appreciate and see the absolute mess that you have to deal with mixing and matching from various code bases. Hopefully things can settle. My loyalty to Asus is primarily driven by you to be honest. Hopefully this unification happens sooner than later but it is what it is.

@RMerlin (I'm also going to drink a Guiness in your honor tonight).

Tempted to ask you to upload a Guinness so that we can all toast RMerlin together, but that fine stout is known to break down when TCP encapsulated.

So, a virtual toast to our favorite dev, in hopes he returns soon.

(Come'on, Asus...)

Let's buy RMerlin a vacation instead. I know... the flights, the virus. There are beautiful places in Quebec too.
Everyone, here:

Today one of my RT-AX88U won't let me in to the UI or SSH console. I updated it Friday evening to 384.19 and all was working. Strange that the router seems to function, except I can't log in. A reboot didn't fix the problem and crazy, I can't even ping the router (100% loss), but internet and LAN works, all the scripts seem to work as well. I can't diagnose anything since there is no access to the router in any way. I'm completely stumped. Any ideas?

Let's buy RMerlin a vacation instead. I know... the flights, the virus. There are beautiful places in Quebec too.
Everyone, here:

If anyone is local i'm in toronto i'm down to fed ex mr merlin his favourite bottle of liquor!

Understanding that this may be put on hold for some time. Will that mean that 384.18 will continue to get updated script support for amtm, etc? Or will it fall behind to 384.19?

Script authors are responsible for updating their own scripts. The firmware only has a basic stub for amtm, so it does not require updates for these.

All we can do is hope that the progress being made on the "new" 386 code base (as evidenced by the now 4th build of what they are calling an RC2 firmware) quickly comes to fruition in the form of a unified release and obviously a corresponding GPL release that you can work with.

I already have four GPL releases for the first RC2 firmware covering both the (now unified) mainline and ax branches, so I can begin analyzing it, and planning on how to merge it all together. It will take time, since in addition to the complexity of having that code evolving for so long in parallel to 382/384, I also have a lot of conflicting code that will require manual merging one piece at a time (for instance, everything tied to their own inadyn implementation). After merging the 386 base code, I will also need to merge all of my AX-specific code on top of it to fold everything back on top of one single development codebase (the master branch).

Telling the other user about refreshing the browser to see it if fixed the missing display for pi chart
That's why quoting the message to which you are responding is so useful.

Eric, as part of a small A/V installation company I work with I have been upgrading our clients' LANs. We now have about 40 ASUS routers around St. Louis, each one with your firmware installed because we feel it is the most secure and stable. (Old folks in three-story houses don't like climbing around to re-boot routers.)

Thanks again for all you have done, and we hope that ASUS can get back on the right path. Meanwhile we will continue to use and appreciate your contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!