What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it 9.6M used (and 37.4M free)?
TY - Yes sir! My bad. Fixed. Geeze at 04:00 AM, should be asleep and not checking on a router!! ;)

I'm using T-Mobile AC1900 flashed to AC68U with the current firmware- 384.13. I have tried to upgrade the firmware from 384.13 to 384.19 but always fail. After the reboot, nothing happened and the firmware is still 384.13. What can I do to successfully upgrade my router?

I have an ac86 - after upgradeing to .19 (clean flash) the 5ghz was wonky - downgraded to 384.18 (dirty flash) but now i can't access the router - any ideas for user/passord? my own/admin don't work.
From the changelog....86U started this during 384.19 cycle.

384.17 (26-Apr-2020)
Updating some models (like the RT-AC88U) from stock firmware
3.0.0.4.384_81790 and newer will require a factory default reset
after flashing Asuswrt-Merlin, due to a change in how Asus
stores the admin password starting with 384_81790.

^ Used that many years ago. Since my amtm USB is formatted ext4, I do not think Windows reads esx3/4 without 3rd party tooling. How was your USB formatted? I'm really trying to clone the USB SATA drive as a backup so I can swap out routers when I need to and keep a hot-spare AC86U around. To do this backup, (since WinSCP cannot copy all the files) I think I'll need a boot Linux-friendly DVD/USB for booting the laptop. Then connect both source USB and target USB to do a full image copy.

Stay safe, stay alive. Peace. Suggestions welcome.
An Ubuntu live drive has Gparted and that would do just fine, and it would be safe. There are Windows tools but some of them like Mini Tool Partition Wizard come with some adware or malware that you don't want in your system. Don't know about Easus. So I would go with Linux for managing the EXTn partitions instead of crutches for Windoze.

What data to re-enter?
Sorry for the ignorance. :)
Well looking at your captures, I see that your WAN IP Address is 192.168.1.1 which is highly unusual, it's a local address. The capture of the DDNS is showing that you have a local IP for your wan connection. So there's something weird there. Do you currently have internet access working through this router? Do you connect to another router or to your internet service provider using a cable or fiber modem?

I have tried every method offered here to revive the wireless functionality on the 86U's. No wireless internet access.

Thank you @Merlin for your herculean efforts to maintain this Asus code alignment. Until Asus releases 386 AND our beta testers can validate its
functionality, the Asus products will remain on the shelf in a box.

Fortunately I had already converted my business network to an OPNSense box with AP's. So with a little effort, VLANs, and a managed switch, our entire household is back online.

Asus - when you alienate customers by impacting there livelihood, kids educations, and family entertainment, those customers rarely return AND you damage the brand!
As a marketing and R&D professional of 38 years, I offer this
; The competitors are well aware of this situation and are reacting.

Thanks to all the members for your help.

Best Regards,

Wekiwa67

I updated the AC86U router from 384.18 to .19 yesterday morning and so far so good, like usual.

I took a backup of my .18 JFFS, even though I don't use any custom scripts or configs, but I haven't noticed anything odd with the router since the upgrade, so haven't restored this backup to .19.

The only odd thing that happened was the first login after the .19 update completed, it challenged me with CAPTCHA, which it's never done before.

I updated the AC86U router from 384.18 to .19 yesterday morning and so far so good, like usual.

I took a backup of my .18 JFFS, even though I don't use any custom scripts or configs, but I haven't noticed anything odd with the router since the upgrade, so haven't restored this backup to .19.

The only odd thing that happened was the first login after the .19 update completed, it challenged me with CAPTCHA, which it's never done before.

Reading the 386 RC Beta 2 notes, there will be an option to remove the CAPTCHA. I guess ASUS maybe got an earful?

Given the issues some have had with the 86U, I am waiting for a time that I have the house to myself for the day to upgrade. Sooo, who knows when it will get done.

Finally i have to downgrade te AX88 to .18 and now it run well. It has installed diversion, skynet, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin, uiDivStats and openvpn server and in the version .19, randoms crash and reboots, vpn clients haven't connection and try to change configuration. Now, in .18 all run again.

I also had to downgrade my AX88 to .18 but I had no crash or rebioot, just that OpenVPN clients that were previously working perfectly were now connecting and forever getting in a loop of connection resets after the initial ARP flush.

No sure what version this bug came in. On .18 and .19 version of the code, the rt-ac86u can't change the channels for 2.4 ghz when in repeater mode. Always comes up to channel 10. Can't even switch it to auto. I'm using 5ghz for backhaul so no need to change that channel on the repeater side. Any help?

No sure what version this bug came in. On .18 and .19 version of the code, the rt-ac86u can't change the channels for 2.4 ghz when in repeater mode. Always comes up to channel 10. Can't even switch it to auto. I'm using 5ghz for backhaul so no need to change that channel on the repeater side. Any help?

Also looks like i can't change the wireless channel in 2.4 ghz on my rt-ac88u either :(

Finally i have to downgrade te AX88 to .18 and now it run well. It has installed diversion, skynet, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin, uiDivStats and openvpn server and in the version .19, randoms crash and reboots, vpn clients haven't connection and try to change configuration. Now, in .18 all run again.
I also had to downgrade my AX88 to .18 but I had no crash or rebioot, just that OpenVPN clients that were previously working perfectly were now connecting and forever getting in a loop of connection resets after the initial ARP flush.

My issue, although resolved for now was also similar yet unique. I'm just wondering if @RMerlin will be interested in detailed report and steps for repro. If yes, I'll factory reset and try get the issue to come up again. The short version of my issue was:

• VPN shows as connected, but client traffic will not route through the tunnel (DNS and all other traffic going via WAN instead of VPN)
How I got there:
  • AX88U with no user scripts installed/activated
  • Dirty upgrade .18 to .19
  • Setup VPN client (using scripts from ProtonVPN), working well no issues
  • Change TX power to low (from Wireless/Professional screen in AX88U WebGUI)
  • After that, nothing short of a reboot of the router could get my VPN online again.
But happily, the VPN is working fine now.

Since upgrading my AC86U to 384.19 99% of the times a device can't be seen by other devices even tho I didn't enable any AP Isolation. Noticed this while adding a Google home. It says it can't connect because of ap isolation. Then I checked an app on my phone to search the subnet for devices and yeah it doesn't detect it. Rebooted and now it works again. But then after awhile started to do the same thing. Atleast now I'm configured. Now that I've thought about it , it is because of this new fw because a few days ago (I'm already on new .19) my spotify can't found any of my google cast and my speaker in the devices option . So yes that confirms my theory that something is happening... Jffs is fine. Restored even from before .19 to make sure it's not corrupted. All custom scripts working fine too. Thanks

My issue, although resolved for now was also similar yet unique. I'm just wondering if @RMerlin will be interested in detailed report and steps for repro. If yes, I'll factory reset and try get the issue to come up again. The short version of my issue was:

• VPN shows as connected, but client traffic will not route through the tunnel (DNS and all other traffic going via WAN instead of VPN)
How I got there:
  • AX88U with no user scripts installed/activated
  • Dirty upgrade .18 to .19
  • Setup VPN client (using scripts from ProtonVPN), working well no issues
  • Change TX power to low (from Wireless/Professional screen in AX88U WebGUI)
  • After that, nothing short of a reboot of the router could get my VPN online again.
But happily, the VPN is working fine now.

I have the same problem with the VPN, but the AX88U is the vpn server. Haven't you any script or amtm? Without scripts the router runs well, but i didn't tried the VPN without they.

Haven't you any script or amtm? Without scripts the router runs well, but i didn't tried the VPN without they.
Correct. No user scripts or amtm scripts have run on my router yet since I bought it. A few reasons:
  • The core features of the firmware are all I need... for now (certainly want to get Skynet running soon though!).
  • I've got a raspberry pi-hole on the LAN to fulfill DNS queries and blocking (Pi-Hole + unbound manager)
  • Third and final: reading through this thread, I think there might be a correlation between number of scripts running and number of problems experienced by end users. And often times its not obvious where the source of the problem really is, so unless its fully clean router I think its harder for a good diagnosis of those issues that are coming up.

Correct. No user scripts or amtm scripts have run on my router yet since I bought it. A few reasons:
  • The core features of the firmware are all I need... for now (certainly want to get Skynet running soon though!).
  • I've got a raspberry pi-hole on the LAN to fulfill DNS queries and blocking (Pi-Hole + unbound manager)
  • Third and final: reading through this thread, I think there might be a correlation between number of scripts running and number of problems experienced by end users. And often times its not obvious where the source of the problem really is, so unless its fully clean router I think its harder for a good diagnosis of those issues that are coming up.

Ok, I think the same, the scripts can be the cause of the problems. The Skynet is another step over the core features. I tried raspberry with pi-hole, but if can use only one device, I prefer it.

Ok, I think the same, the scripts can be the cause of the problems.

Not sure what to think about the source of your issues right now. However, just to add another data point for you (or for any AX88U owners), I went ahead and setup a VPN server for connecting my phone to. So far all good! Pics attached. The router was rebooted 2+ days ago, and the VPN client (laptop) has held a steady connection to ProtonVPN for the whole time (I've been checking DNS and other leaks tests about 4 times daily). The VPN server has only been up a few minutes, since I just created it. But all smooth operation so far. Status of my AX88U right now: everything running smoothly as far as I can tell.
vpn-250820.png

uptime-250820.png

Installed .19 on a brandy new AX88U and 68u node. All working well with no issues.
Thanks again for all the hard work.

Since upgrading my AC86U to 384.19 99% of the times a device can't be seen by other devices even tho I didn't enable any AP Isolation. Noticed this while adding a Google home. It says it can't connect because of ap isolation. Then I checked an app on my phone to search the subnet for devices and yeah it doesn't detect it. Rebooted and now it works again. But then after awhile started to do the same thing. Atleast now I'm configured. Now that I've thought about it , it is because of this new fw because a few days ago (I'm already on new .19) my spotify can't found any of my google cast and my speaker in the devices option . So yes that confirms my theory that something is happening... Jffs is fine. Restored even from before .19 to make sure it's not corrupted. All custom scripts working fine too. Thanks

I'm seeing the exact same issues FWIW.

I'm seeing the exact same issues FWIW.
Have you reformatted JFFS prior to restoring it from earlier backup? In my experience, this is a critical step in resolving the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!