What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

I would reset the router via the WPS Button method, via the GUI (including checking the box to 'Initialize all settings...', via the Reset Button and be sure to format the JFFS partition too, for good measure. Keep doing this until the router is responding normally. If it doesn't, time to return/exchange.

Be sure you do not plug in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm scripts. Format the drive in a PC using NTFS first (backup whatever you don't want to lose, but test without using these backup files).

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

I would reset the router via the WPS Button method, via the GUI (including checking the box to 'Initialize all settings...', via the Reset Button and be sure to format the JFFS partition too, for good measure. Keep doing this until the router is responding normally. If it doesn't, time to return/exchange.

Be sure you do not plug in a USB drive that was previously used for amtm scripts. Format the drive in a PC using NTFS first (backup whatever you don't want to lose, but test without using these backup files).

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Gtax6000 has no wps button and the jffs format doesn't work for this firmware lol

Asus may need to update its Hard Factory Reset' link to include these new models then.

In any case, the goal is to reset the router multiple times with all available methods, to be sure it is truly reset (many posts of routers not resetting on the first, second, or even third time on the forums).

Here is a couple of pictures (30-day and 24-hour histories) that clearly illustrates the benefit of moving to the GT-AX6000 with its 2.5 Gbps WAN and LAN ports. In the 30-day image, The first jump is when I migrated from RT-AX86U (2.5 Gbps WAN only) to the GT-AX6000, and the second jump is when I moved from a TRENDnet unmanaged 2.5 Gbps switch to the TP-Link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 managed switch ((2) 10 Gbps SFP+ ports plus (8) 2.5 Gbps RJ45 ports), any of which properly forwards VLAN tags for guest network 1 to the four AiMesh nodes). Both latency and jitter have improved significantly as well.
What I think this illustrates is the limitations of the RT-AX86U using an on-router speed test. But that's not reflective of the real-world throughput of the router (as shown in the SNB testing). The differences between the two GT-AX6000 numbers is surprising because again, it's an internal test. So changing an external switch should not have any effect, unless you're using something like link aggregation which might impact the router's CPU.

Last edited:
Somehow after a second reboot today my gtax6000 is defaulting to the setup wizard everytime i go to my router admin page, any ideas how that happened and whats wrong? All my wifi networks still work and it seems like its going with all the settings i had setup the router with. Its just now defaulting to the router setup wizard and im afraid to go through that process in case it messes with something since its still broadcasting my wifi networks
No idea. No issue with my own GT-AX6000.

My recent upgrade to the GT-AX6000 made all the difference in the world as far as network performance.

I have Spectrum 1 Gbps down/35 Mbps up cable connection. I had previously upgraded from RT-AX88U to RT-AX86U in order to use the 2.5 Gbps WAN port, resulting in increasing download benchmarks (using spdMerlin) from about 550 Mbps to 700 Mbps. I decided to upgrade again to the GT-AX6000 in order to benefit from 2.5 Gbps WAN AND LAN ports so that I could upgrade my backbone to 2.5 Gbps (using unmanaged switches as needed) and realize substantially better speeds with my Synology NASs. I am seeing 200+ MBps (yes, megaBYTES) transfers between NASs via laptop with 2.5 Gbps USB NIC. As a bonus, the GT-AX6000 increased my WAN download benchmarks from 700 Mbps to an average of 950 Mbps, with a high of 1100+ Mbps!

I hadn't considered the GT-AX6000 for the earlier upgrade since there was no @RMerlin support at the time.

Thank you, @RMerlin for your continued dedication to the community.
Wan and lan performance improvement is predictable based on faster ports… real question is how the WiFi performance is compared to the Ax86U?
Kinda curious if it’s the same … improved or worse

Last edited:
Gtax6000 has no wps button and the jffs format doesn't work for this firmware lol

The GT-AX6000 does have a WPS button. :)

Method 2 seems to be the right one for this model.

Somehow after a second reboot today my gtax6000 is defaulting to the setup wizard everytime i go to my router admin page, any ideas how that happened and whats wrong? All my wifi networks still work and it seems like its going with all the settings i had setup the router with. Its just now defaulting to the router setup wizard and im afraid to go through that process in case it messes with something since its still broadcasting my wifi networks

When the GT-AX6000 was in its (initial) setup mode and I tried to access my main RT-AX86U router, I also got 'stuck' going to the setup wizard for the RT-AX86U. Turning off the GT-AX6000 allowed me to log in normally. Do you have a second router that you've fully reset and turned on?

Last edited:
Wan and lan performance improvement is predictable based on faster ports… real question is how the WiFi performance is compared to the Ax86U?
Kinda curious if it’s the same … improved or worse
Improved. Typical 1.2 Gbps connection from MacBook Pro M1 to and 3 Gbps connection to RT-AX82 AiMesh node (160 MHz).

Still getting the "404 Not Found" error on my GT-AX6000. Is there anything I would need to change within the settings?
I just fixed it, you won't get that fix until the next firmware release.

I got this warning today:
Code:
May  9 00:44:42 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12149) jffs2_sum_write_data: Summary too big (-32 data, -1686 pad) in eraseblock at 00540000
What's the meaning of this?

I got this warning today:
Code:
May  9 00:44:42 kernel: jffs2: warning: (12149) jffs2_sum_write_data: Summary too big (-32 data, -1686 pad) in eraseblock at 00540000
What's the meaning of this?
Copying from another website:

JFFS2 writes some data about erased data blocks (called EBS) at the end of newly erased blocks. If this summary data is too large, it doesn't write it.[1] It seems that this summary is not critical, but is used to speed up certain operations.[2]

[1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...st/006253.html
[2] http://www.embedded-linux.co.uk/tutorial/jffs2-summary

No idea. Everything is currently stalled as Asus works on some remaining software issues before issuing new GPL releases.
No worries. Current firmware is very stable for me anyway. I had issues with 5ghz Wi-Fi on stock firmware where my clients would sometimes not reconnect to Wi-Fi. No problems here and performance seems not worse. Thanks!

Can someone with the ax6000 pls test the AMTM FW script for installing unbound (7)?
I get an entware error, both entware and swapfile were bring installed, while installing Diversion/Skynet, which both work fine.
Also AP Isolation is still active, while dissabled in Wireless Pro settings.

test the AMTM FW script for installing unbound (7)?
I get an entware error,
What is the error?

Does the error occur if you use the curl command from the Github page?

Feel free to post your answers/query in the Addons forum with a new thread (unbound filter tag applied), or post in the current unbound_manager thread

Last edited:
No, it installs fine, but then “unbound not running, error in installed entware package list”
plus
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.sh: line 5496: unbound-control: not found
| Requirements: USB drive with Entware installed |

entware IS installed by Diversion and working

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!