What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is now available, specifically for the new models that were added to the supported list with this release: the GT-AX6000, and the Zen WiFi Pro XT12.

Summary of changes:
  • Merged with GPL 386_47885
  • Added support for the ZenWiFi Pro XT12
  • Added support for the GT-AX6000 (with the non-ROG webui and without VPNFusion, like other supported ROG models)
  • Added new IPv6 options to OpenVPN servers, allowing to disable/enable IPv6 support, and also to enable NAT (allowing remote clients to also redirect their IPv6 Internet traffic through their router's OpenVPN server
  • Updated components: wget (1.21.3), dropbear (2022.82)
  • Allow requesting bigger IPv6 subnets from your ISP
  • Fixed Traditional QoS download traffic limited by upstream bandwidth

Please consult the Changelog for the complete list of changes.

Please keep discussions in this thread on the topic of this release and these two new models. This thread will be locked after a while once the release feedback has quieted down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Reserved.

Updated to 386.6 release.
No issues.

Should this item from beta 2 have been included in the release notes?
webui: hide jffs fomating on these as it's currently not working

I had a go with the release version and decided to do my standard Wifi benchmark just to compare to stock.
8GB zip file transferred from my Synology NAS (connected via LAN) to iPhone 13 Pro Max via Wifi 5ghz.

Merlin firmware:

Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-20 o 10.21.16.png

Stock firmware:

Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-20 o 10.59.23.png

This is not scientific benchmark but the differences were noticeable for me - consistently better minimum/average transfer speeds on stock AsusWRT.
This was apparent in transfer times, file did download quicker on AsusWRT.

Both firmwares were installed fresh, all settings applied manually, corresponding wifi settings the same (same professional settings, same channels etc etc).

Updated to 386.6 release.
No issues.

Should this item from beta 2 have been included in the release notes?
webui: hide jffs fomating on these as it's currently not working
The changelog only covers changes from 386.5_2. It doesn't include bug fixes specific to the beta cycle.

This is not scientific benchmark but the differences were noticeable for me - consistently better minimum/average transfer speeds on stock AsusWRT.
Wifi performance will be identical to stock firmware, provided you compare the exact same version. Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is based off 3.0.0.4.386_47885.

In my own tests, I was able to get a steady 210 MB/s transferring a file between the NAS (temporarily hooked to a 2.5 Gbps port) and my laptop (using Wifi 160 MHz channels).

160MHz and 2.5 Gbps NAS.png

The changelog only covers changes from 386.5_2. It doesn't include bug fixes specific to the beta cycle.

Wifi performance will be identical to stock firmware, provided you compare the exact same version. Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is based off 3.0.0.4.386_47885.

In my own tests, I was able to get a steady 210 MB/s transferring a file between the NAS (temporarily hooked to a 2.5 Gbps port) and my laptop (using Wifi 160 MHz channels).

View attachment 40909
Hmm, interesting.
My current stock Asus firmware is the one from end of the March, 3.0.0.4.386_48377.

This means Asus’s codebase is newer than your release?
Then again, their changelog said nothing about performance improvements, only security updates and some minor additions in dns list…

his means Asus’s codebase is newer than your release?
That's correct. So it could be using an updated SDK or have tweaks added to the radio calibration tables. Or it could just be within the margin of error, as testing wifi on a mobile device will never be very accurate, unless you put the device in a fixed position. Just moving a device's angle will affect wireless performance. I was able to observe that back in the day when doing tests, where just moving the angle of my laptop's screen would affect throughput.

Then again, their changelog said nothing about performance improvements, only security updates and some minor additions in dns list…
Changelogs only contain a fraction of all the changes they make to the firmware.

That's correct. So it could be using an updated SDK or have tweaks added to the radio calibration tables. Or it could just be within the margin of error, as testing wifi on a mobile device will never be very accurate, unless you put the device in a fixed position. Just moving a device's angle will affect wireless performance. I was able to observe that back in the day when doing tests, where just moving the angle of my laptop's screen would affect throughput.

Changelogs only contain a fraction of all the changes they make to the firmware.
I understand.
When do you think the new codebase might get incorporated into your branch?

Thanks for your time

Flashed last night, followed by a factory reset. Working really well. Only half a day so far, but no problems have come up, smooth sailing *smile*.

Thanks so much for your work on the firmware for this router!

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.6 is now available, specifically for the new models that were added to the supported list with this release: the GT-AX6000, and the Zen WiFi Pro XT12.

Summary of changes:
  • Merged with GPL 386_47885
  • Added support for the ZenWiFi Pro XT12
  • Added support for the GT-AX6000 (with the non-ROG webui and without VPNFusion, like other supported ROG models)
  • Added new IPv6 options to OpenVPN servers, allowing to disable/enable IPv6 support, and also to enable NAT (allowing remote clients to also redirect their IPv6 Internet traffic through their router's OpenVPN server
  • Updated components: wget (1.21.3), dropbear (2022.82)
  • Allow requesting bigger IPv6 subnets from your ISP
  • Fixed Traditional QoS download traffic limited by upstream bandwidth

Please consult the Changelog for the complete list of changes.

Please keep discussions in this thread on the topic of this release and these two new models. This thread will be locked after a while once the release feedback has quieted down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Ok, I gave the firmware another chance but I have some problems (Uploaded the firmware, reset to defaults and restored my previous merlin firmware settings from today):

1) WAN LED goes red every 1-2 minutes for around 20 seconds, and comes back white,

2) Plenty of errors in the logs (attached syslog)

I met an interesting scenario
I am currently an user of GT-AX6000 with IPSec VPN enabled and flashed with 386.6

My iPhone and MacBook are able to connect the VPN
However, my Windows 11 notebook fails. However, this notebook can connect to other IPSec VPN network. One example is my grand parent home IPSec VPN server. That router is Asus AX3000 with 386.5_2.

Anyone meets the same issue ?

Thanks

Performing a full reset and then importing saved settings from an old backup config file negates that full reset.

Try again without using the backup config file, from the full reset.

The following links may be useful to get your router into a good/known state.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Earlier yesterday, I installed Merlin’s release for the first time over stock Asus firmware. I reset all the settings, then set everything from scratch.
I made a quick benchmark of Audi, wasn’t happy and decided to go back to stock.
Before I did that, I saved configuration file for the future.

I restored to stock but in the evening decided to give Merlin’s firmware another chance.
I flashed it again, reset all the settings and restored the backup config from the morning.

Edit:

I installed everything from scratch, here is everything I found with "Error" in the log:

Code:
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: bcm_i2c: Error in loading module
GetRCalSetting_1UM_VERT: Skipping SW RCAL as RCAL_1UM_VERT is not defined
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [2] Link UP - [1] lanes, [GEN2] speed^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [2] Enabled PCIE/UBUS Error Interrupts^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [2] UBUS Intr [UBUS_LINKUP]^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [1] DT node available: pcie1
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: found Port [1] GEN3 Core Rev [4.03] with 2 Lanes^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Port [1] using 16FFC Viper Serdes
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: GetRCalSetting_1UM_VERT: Skipping SW RCAL as RCAL_1UM_VERT is not defined
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [1] Link UP - [2] lanes, [GEN2] speed^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [1] Enabled PCIE/UBUS Error Interrupts^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [1] UBUS Intr [UBUS_LINKUP]^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Core [0] DT node available: pcie0
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: found Port [0] GEN2 Core Rev [4.03] with 2 Lanes^M
May  5 06:05:16 kernel:   bcm-pcie: Port [0] using 16FFC Viper Serdes
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: Loading wlshared Module...
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: TX wakeup info: reg = <0x82801004>, val = <0x00000005>
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: RX wakeup info: reg = <0x82801004>, val = <0x0000000c>
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: Registering Vendor80211
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: Get event_msgs error (-19)
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: bcm_bca_usb_ctrl_probe: usb3_enable 1 xhci_enable 1
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: +++ usb_ctrl_cshcr2 ffffff8008e8525c= 40004=
May  5 06:05:16 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] runnerUcast_inet6addr_event,148: Could not rdpa_system_ipv6_host_address_table_find ret=-5^[[0m

Last edited:
When do you think the new codebase might get incorporated into your branch?
I don't know. I still need to obtain new GPL archives from Asus.

1) WAN LED goes red every 1-2 minutes for around 20 seconds, and comes back white,
Sounds like an ISP or modem link issue to me if your WAN is so unstable.
However, my Windows 11 notebook fails. However, this notebook can connect to other IPSec VPN network. One example is my grand parent home IPSec VPN server. That router is Asus AX3000 with 386.5_2.

Anyone meets the same issue ?
See Asus's FAQ on how to use IPSEC with an Asus router. You need a third party client such as Shrike's.

The new AX6000 looks better, would you replace the AX88U to AX6000?
If you currently have an RT-AX88U, I see no reason to spend the price it would cost to upgrade to the GT-AX6000. The extra 200 MHz will give you maybe an extra 20-30 Mbps in OpenVPN, and maybe an extra 20 Mbps of WAN throughput if you don't have NAT acceleration enabled.

I installed everything from scratch, here is everything I found with "Error" in the log:
Looks like normal syslog entries to me. For instance the i2c module will not load because that model does not use i2c.

I don't know. I still need to obtain new GPL archives from Asus.

Sounds like an ISP or modem link issue to me if your WAN is so unstable.

See Asus's FAQ on how to use IPSEC with an Asus router. You need a third party client such as Shrike's.

If you currently have an RT-AX88U, I see no reason to spend the price it would cost to upgrade to the GT-AX6000. The extra 200 MHz will give you maybe an extra 20-30 Mbps in OpenVPN, and maybe an extra 20 Mbps of WAN throughput if you don't have NAT acceleration enabled.

Looks like normal syslog entries to me. For instance the i2c module will not load because that model does not use i2c.
Thanks.
I hard reset the router, soft reset it and then installed your firmware again.
Seems to be OK now, the error entries are from the new, fresh install.

Everything’s looks good and solid now.

Hi Merlin,
The new AX6000 looks better, would you replace the AX88U to AX6000?
My recent upgrade to the GT-AX6000 made all the difference in the world as far as network performance.

I have Spectrum 1 Gbps down/35 Mbps up cable connection. I had previously upgraded from RT-AX88U to RT-AX86U in order to use the 2.5 Gbps WAN port, resulting in increasing download benchmarks (using spdMerlin) from about 550 Mbps to 700 Mbps. I decided to upgrade again to the GT-AX6000 in order to benefit from 2.5 Gbps WAN AND LAN ports so that I could upgrade my backbone to 2.5 Gbps (using unmanaged switches as needed) and realize substantially better speeds with my Synology NASs. I am seeing 200+ MBps (yes, megaBYTES) transfers between NASs via laptop with 2.5 Gbps USB NIC. As a bonus, the GT-AX6000 increased my WAN download benchmarks from 700 Mbps to an average of 950 Mbps, with a high of 1100+ Mbps!

I hadn't considered the GT-AX6000 for the earlier upgrade since there was no @RMerlin support at the time.

Thank you, @RMerlin for your continued dedication to the community.

Yes, it's pushing me too!

GT-AX6000 or GT-AX11000. The little difference in price would incline to the AX11000. Can anyone give me input on what would be wise?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!