What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observation:
Wireguard Gui shows on my rt-ax86u under vpn status tab once selected on the Vpn page, clicking the "Vpn Status" tab it shows the proper page. Scmerlin Installed.
Web capture_24-6-2022_33110_router.jpeg

I'm not really sure if this belongs In this release thread, but I was just curious if there was a reason Cloudflare was dropped from the list of available dns? Otherwise working well, thanks as always.

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release is to upgrade the GPL base code, as well as introduce a few minor improvements.

The highlights:
  • Merged with GPL 386_49335 (for the RT-AC5300) and 386_48966 (for all other models).
  • DNSFilter can now also intercept and redirect IPv6 DNS queries on HND models. You can also specify IPv6 DNS servers for the three custom settings.
  • Component updates: openssl 1.1.1o, haveged 1.9.18, openvpn 2.5.7 and tor 0.4.7.8.
  • Fixed CVE-2022-0934 and CVE-2022-26376.
  • And a few other fixes

Also this includes the following changes from 386.6 (which was previously only available for the XT12 and GT-AX6000):
  • Added new IPv6 options to OpenVPN servers, allowing to disable/enable IPv6 support, and also to enable NAT (allowing remote clients to also redirect their IPv6 Internet traffic through their router's OpenVPN server
  • Updated components: wget (1.21.3), dropbear (2022.82)
  • Allow requesting bigger IPv6 subnets from your ISP
  • Fixed Traditional QoS download traffic limited by upstream bandwidth

Note: while openssl 1.1.1p just came out, I decided not to put the firmware through another beta cycle just for it as the security issue it addresses does not affect Asuswrt-Merlin.

Please keep the discussion on this particular release. Off-topic posts will be moved, deleted or ignored depending on my mood at the time.
This thread will be closed down once the initial release feedback has quieted town.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
On the administration —> firmware update page, the link to download the new firmware failed to resolve for my RT-AX86S router. I changed it to the RT-AX86U and everything went smoothly.

Turned on my work computer and connected it to the network, and immediately the dnsmasq crashed, albeit only once now. Seems like this is related to the crash.
If your ISP is dual stack, try disabling IPv6 and using only IPv4 to see if the issue disappears.

I'm not really sure if this belongs In this release thread, but I was just curious if there was a reason Cloudflare was dropped from the list of available dns?
If you mean the WAN DNS list, I don't know, that list is maintained by Asus. I only maintain the DoT and DNSFilter presets.

If you mean the WAN DNS list, I don't know, that list is maintained by Asus. I only maintain the DoT and DNSFilter presets.
It’s not in ASUS’ new release either, but if you enter it manually it shows up like any of the other presets. It also can be applied as a preset in their app either system wide or per device with their new “safe browsing”.

Hi, thanks for the new update, on the AX88U, however when I updated the Trendmicro signature, the date is 2018/05/05.
Did I update too soon, the NTP on the router did not have time to update ?
When I update the signature again in a few days, will the date be automatically corrected to 2022 ?
View attachment 42116
View attachment 42117
Pretty sure that date is the default router system date after reboot but before ntp has syncronised.

That's what I thought too. I ran the signature update too soon, right after the reboot. The NTP should not have been synced yet. So the next time I update the signatures, the date will be normal ?
Provided ntp is in sync - then yes - date will normalise.

Observation:
Wireguard Gui shows on my rt-ax86u under vpn status tab once selected on the Vpn page, clicking the "Vpn Status" tab it shows the proper page. Scmerlin Installed.
My RT-AX86U on 386.7 does not have that issue - but I can replicate by taking the scMerlin drop down for "Advanced_WireguardServer_Content" then clicking the VPN Status Tab at the top of the VPN page.

vpn=scmerlin.png

Maybe clear your browser cache? Can't see how the firmware or add-on could crosslink the URL's.

Dirty upgrade from beta 2 on Ac86u and Ac68u(mesh-lan), all perfect !!

Thanks for that info. The 'Australia' option has been around for many years on the AC88U, so strange that it would not also have been there from the get go on the AX88U.

I live in an apartment block with about 250 apartments in the building and there is massive congestion on the 2.4GHz channels and significant congestion on the 5GHz channels. So having access to the additional UNII-2A and UNII-2C channels is really important for being able to minimise interference from nearby routers in neighbouring apartments in the building.

Hopefully this issue can be fixed in the 386.7_2 update.
So, I changed to the Australia region as advised above.
Wifi speed dropped dramatically, so I’ve reverted to the original Asia setting, all is good once more…….

EDIT: Further experimenting has lead to a change of heart.
Ive adopted the new Australia setting.

Last edited:
Were you trying to update the router remotely? I've seen that behavior mostly if trying to update remotely but locally it updates fine
I can vouch for this. I was trying to update my AX56U remotely without success, I'm now at this site and it updated first time.

Cheers,

Paul

If your ISP is dual stack, try disabling IPv6 and using only IPv4 to see if the issue disappears.

1. I disabled IPv6 on the AX86U router
2. Turned on my computer, connected it on the 5G network
Result: the crash did not happen.

1. I turned off my computer
2. Enabled back IPv6 on the AX86U router
3. Turned on my computer, connected it on the 5G network
Result: dnsmasq crashed again 4x.

But I must say, there are no discernible issues that I can see on the network. Computer is able to receive IPv6 address and network is working normally. My addons are listed in my signature, not sure if any of them are impacting dnsmasq though.

I'll pm you my logs soon

Filthy, Disgusting, Covid Ridden Install at 12:30 when all but me are sleeping. Stable Thus Far. AX86U

Ax88u after about 19h, around 70°C, could be because room in general is not too cold and it is summer as well.

Same data applies for AX56U.

About IPv6, after reset my AiMesh system (AX88U*2), it fetches IPv6 but takes about 5-20m after boot to fetch.
There are cases in which it is not fetched at all and need Native-Disabled routine untill fetched, and it might not work as well.

Same applies for AX56U.

Something with the "engine" of IPv6 is different in this version than 386_5.2.
Suggested to revert one the previous "engine" version

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-140552_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-140552_Chrome.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 67
Went from 386.5_2 to 386.7 over VPN in my RT-AC86U, with USB attached(since I was in another site, I could'nt detach it) and everything went well.

DFS channels are not guaranteed. Some folks in Europe found they can no longer use DFS due to military activities in relation to Eastern Europe events. They also had no issues for years. If you want stable Wi-Fi - 36-48 or 149-161 @80MHz wide.
Yep, plus it’s AT season in my area and quite a bit of aircraft this year. 80 seems fine, don’t really notice a performance difference but I do like it when certain devices connect and it jumps 160. Helps when moving large files and downloading stuff from work and games. Which it does on the previous firmware.

Something got corrupted somehow. Still getting reboots, now getting TrendMicro errors, and scripts aren’t sticking. It also takes forever to get synced with my cable modem. Network cable disconnected messages etc. USB drive is my first guess since I kept it on 80 overnight. I’m going to try previous firmware one more time since that gets aggregation and previous settings stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!