What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IPv6 (native) working just fine here, no issues.
’Dirty’ upgrade, all working as expected.
Running some scripts, using USB, all good.

My RT-AX86U on 386.7 does not have that issue - but I can replicate by taking the scMerlin drop down for "Advanced_WireguardServer_Content" then clicking the VPN Status Tab at the top of the VPN page.

View attachment 42118

Maybe clear your browser cache? Can't see how the firmware or add-on could crosslink the URL's.
My replication of that page is the same as you described in yours, no issues found due to it, router performing all its tasks as before.

@RMerlin One question, I see that the firmware file name of AX68U not contain the 'cferom' string, it means that file not contains the cferom component (as in the case of AX86U)?

Routine upgrade of AX86u with 2 nodes running Asus firmware.

It's been an intense 24 hours... Call me Mr Lucky if you like... ;) but, having already upgraded my RT-AC68U to this latest firmware RMerlin release, (without any issues at all) I'd finally bitten the bullet & bought a brand new RT-AX86U. It came with the Asus 3.0.0.4.386.46061 firmware, which, without making hardly any changes to it at all, I immediately upgraded to the very recently released, Asus 3.0.0.4.386_49447 firmware. I then made some minor changes to that, mainly after some serious device testing on 5GHz / 160Mhz etc (which I didn't have before on the RT-AC68U) and then jumped straight on to upgrading (some might say slight sideways-grading, as there's a couple of minor items in that latest Asus firmware that RMerlin hadn't got in his last GPL, but hey, there's lots more missing :D if you've got used to using RMerlin firmware...) and... again for me, with my setup, another flawless, smooth upgrade. I've had none of the previously reported IPv6 issues / dnsmasq crashes, no connection dropouts, no device connection failures etc. So far, it's all good! Yet... yes, my ISP provides Dual Stack / FTTH / GPON modem. So that's 2 trouble free upgrades on 2 different routers. I'd got the new one at a great price and the old one I"ve sold on already. He's collecting it on Sunday! All I can say is; Thanks again @RMerlin It's all very much appreciated!

Last edited:
@RMerlin One question, I see that the firmware file name of AX68U not contain the 'cferom' string, it means that file not contains the cferom component (as in the case of AX86U)?
Yup, newer cfe was causing some RT-AX86U to BRICK... asus is still testing, meanwhile RMerlin removed it for the time being.

About IPv6, after reset my AiMesh system (AX88U*2), it fetches IPv6 but takes about 5-20m after boot to fetch.
There are cases in which it is not fetched at all and need Native-Disabled routine untill fetched, and it might not work as well.
Have you tried changing the "Release Prefix on Exit" option to "disable"?

1. I disabled IPv6 on the AX86U router
2. Turned on my computer, connected it on the 5G network
Result: the crash did not happen.

1. I turned off my computer
2. Enabled back IPv6 on the AX86U router
3. Turned on my computer, connected it on the 5G network
Result: dnsmasq crashed again 4x.

But I must say, there are no discernible issues that I can see on the network. Computer is able to receive IPv6 address and network is working normally. My addons are listed in my signature, not sure if any of them are impacting dnsmasq though.

I'll pm you my logs soon
Thank you for identifying & reporting this IPv6 issue with the RT-AX86U.
I myself have the same 'PRIMARY" Router & was going to start fiddling with IPv6 but soon realized...
I'm with SHAW & my DOCSIS Modem/Router unit is their HILTRON unit.
Despite it apparently having the capability... SHAW has NOT enabled it (perhaps due to known issues).
Are you certain your ISP-Modem is IPv6 compatible?
EDIT: & with IPv6 is anyone REALLY sure of anything, anymore... Really??? LOL

Last edited:
Hi, just for info i see this release is based on : 386_49335

i have ac86u as nodes, i always use stock firmware on them , i see latest stock is 3.0.0.4.386.48260 , released on: 2022/03/25
should i wait for next release for 86u? or is it the same GPL ?

Last edited:
Filthy, Disgusting, Covid Ridden Install at 12:30 when all but me are sleeping. Stable Thus Far. AX86U
pfft, I did a monkeypox install on my ac86 24hrs ago and it's...well, I'm a bit concerned that the RAM is as full as it is. The cache seems to have exploded, but otherwise, this is the best update I've installed in a while.

Thank you for identifying & reporting this IPv6 issue with the RT-AX86U.
I myself have the same 'PRIMARY" Router & was going to start fiddling with IPv6 but soon realized...
I'm with SHAW & my DOCSIS Modem/Router unit is their HILTRON unit.
Despite it apparently having the capability... SHAW has NOT enabled it (perhaps due to known issues).
Are you certain your ISP-Modem is IPv6 compatible?
EDIT: & with IPv6 is anyone REALLY sure of anything, anymore... Really??? LOL
you have to switch it on in the gateway unit, the HI(L?)TRON...and if that doesn't work, Rogers will get you sorted later this fall I'm sure.

you have to switch it on in the gateway unit, the HI(L?)TRON...and if that doesn't work, Rogers will get you sorted later this fall I'm sure.
Good Catch, I always throw an "L" in there for some reason... HITRON it is :) Thanks, I'll take a closer look hopefully I can access the HITRON configuration re: IPv6. But Officially... I cannot find any mention of SHAW supporting IPv6 with it "yet", hmmmmm.

Neither, just apply the DOCSIS preset from the dropdown.

I can't, I don't have the up-to-date backend code from RC3, only the initial out of date code from 386_4xxxx.

It's just disk buffering done for your USB disk, it's perfectly normal.

thanks, RMerlin.
Last curiosity: why with the same configuration/services I'm not noticing the same RAM usage behaviour for the previous fw (i.e. 386.6)?

Good Catch, I always throw an "L" in there for some reason... HITRON it is :) Thanks, I'll take a closer look hopefully I can access the HITRON configuration re: IPv6. But Officially... I cannot find any mention of SHAW supporting IPv6 with it "yet", hmmmmm.
I believe they have for some time now...the addy to login to the UI of the unit in question ;) is on a sticker on the bottom

Equivalent of USD58 per month. No 'great firewal' in Hong Kong (well, not at this stage anyway) and VPNs fully functional to any global destination. I've been very pleased with the GT-AX6000 performance (credit to Merlin!) and also use a QNAP QSW-1105-5T which nicely extends the 2.5Gbps to multiple devices.
I pay the equivalent for 50/10Mbps DSL.

Just flashed Merlin 386.7 and need to know if I should use ATM or PTM w/ Cake qos? (cable service is 260 down / 16 up).

Google did not help other than one person saying that ATM is Only for DSL connections. Not sure if that is accurate

Any other QOS suggestions welcome.
Please RTFManpage and you'll get a better picture of what your optimal settings might be (there's a section in there for DOCSIS folks like yourself)...that's after crawling through the CakeQoS thread(s) on the Merlin AddOns forum here (setting a correct-ish rtt made as much of an improvement for me as did getting the speed settings correct (figure out the average ping from your router to your ISP's servers and choose the rtt setting that covers the range with a bit to spare on the high side - metro should be pretty close). Also, say away from the tins by using besteffort. further, dual-srchost & dual-dsthost were good choices for me)
your DL speed (is that the actual or the advertised package speed from your ISP?) is at the top range for cake's best effectiveness, but the asymmetry of your speed ratio down:up is a little beyond what cake likes best iirc, so you might want to look at other alternatives.

Yup, newer cfe was causing some RT-AX86U to BRICK... asus is still testing, meanwhile RMerlin removed it for the time being.
Yes I know, I'm following the latest alpha, beta and stable threads, but I haven't seen any post that it would be the same with the ax68u (but based on the name of the AX68U firmware file, this is what it looks like).

Installed 386.7 from 386.5_2 on AX88U using semi-Dirty upgrade (e.g removed usb and scripts before then recreated after). All went well without any issues. It has been running well for 2+ hours. Thanks once again @RMerlin and Je vous souhaite une bonne St-Jean-Baptiste !

Did a dirty update on my ax86u from 386.5_2 to 386.7 and no functional issues noticed. One very minor thing that I just saw was the LAN indicator lights were not on. I turned the lights off last night using the side button on the router. Then just now I used the same button to turn them on again. However the left side lights (LAN activity lights) were off but the others were on. I went into the web GUI and toggled the setting for LEDs there and they came back on. Have no idea if its firmware related or maybe due to the dirty update method but just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Hi All:

Upgraded AX86U to 386.7 fine using AX86U Download file.. However tried three times to upgrade the AX3000 using the AX56U Download to 386.7 and it will not upgrade. Says Firmware Upgrade Unsuccessful.

Any ideas to resolve this?

RT-AX86UCurrent Version : 386.7
Manual firmware update : Upload
AiMesh Node
RT-AX3000
Current Version : 386.5
Manual firmware update : Upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!