What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have nothing using the logs (like Skynet), change the log level to hide the messages.

Having Wi-Fi issues. Keep disconnecting and knocking every Wi-Fi Device on the AX88u. I have tried fresh install too and 30 mins later same issue. Flashed the previous firmware and having no issues with disconnections. No idea what’s happening.

Had the same on 386 7, another reason among others had to revert.
On 386 7 1 it is not happening

Found three bugs related to OpenVPN and IPv6:

1. [Asus router as client] If the OpenVPN profile enables IPv6, then OpenVPN client on Asus router will not work unless IPv6 is enabled on router and vice versa.
Log shows:
ovpn-client1: Linux ip -6 addr add failed: external program exited with error status: 2
ovpn-client1: Exiting due to fatal error
Maybe add an option to disable (or enable in the future when OpenVPN client can support IPv6) to OpenVPN client? Or ignore the IPv6 lines in profile when router is IPv4 only.

2. [Asus router as client] If the OpenVPN profile enables IPv6, Asus router enables IPv6, and OpenVPN client on Asus router sets DNS to exclusive, the expected behavior should be that all DNS queries will go through the VPN. However, currently DNS will go through both the VPN's IPv4 DNS and client router's IPv6 DNS. Usually client router's IPv6 DNS responds faster and the response is used causing DNS leak. I suspect that the DNS redirection for VPN is only set on IPv4. My temporary solution is setting client router's IPv6 DNS to client router's IPv4 DNS encoded in IPv6 format.

3. [Asus router as server] I assigned custom IPv4 and IPv6 DNS and disabled "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" on LAN-DHCP Server page. I also entered router's link local IPv6 address as DNS on IPv6 page. OpenVPN server running on Asus router with IPv6 option enabled will push the custom IPv4 DNS from LAN-DHCP Server page and IPv6 DNS from IPv6 page to clients. Should we also pull IPv6 DNS from LAN-DHCP Server page?

If I turn on "Hide DHCP/RA queries" under DHCP settings those errors seem to disappear too.
Good to know, thank you.

Just one curious thing ... I have just created a new config backup trough UI under 386.7. My previous backup had extension CFG and now it had extension TAR.

I thing my previous backup was under 386.7 too ... so I don't know why suddenly the backup extension had changed from CFG to TAR.

The previous backups from the JFFS Partition was TAR extension and is still TAR now, so this has not changed.

o_O

If I turn on "Hide DHCP/RA queries" under DHCP settings those errors seem to disappear too.
I can't think why that would be the case. The DHCP/RA option is just a dnsmasq log setting and unrelated to the Flow Cache.

Hi, just updated from RT-AX86U_386.5_2 to 386.7_0 and noticed that the menus are blank unless you back arrow on the page, what's going on here? Also, for example if I go to AiProtection tab, "Router Security Assessment" shows a red circle with no settings shown, or if I go to USB tab, there's just nothing shown, blank page but otherwise all 'seems' to run as it should, just menus are blank and have to back arrow. All of my menu options are messed up, blank and not showing much, none of this has ever happened before, what changed here? so went back to 386.5_2 and now still have effed up menus, nothing showing on pages but basic stuff or nothing at all. For instance, Administration Tab shows just this with a save button on bottom:
"
Administration - Operation Mode

RT-AX86U supports several operation modes to meet different requirements. Please select the mode that match your situation.

Last edited:
Hi, just updated from RT-AX86U_386.5_2 to 386.7_0 and noticed that the menus are blank unless you back arrow on the page, what's going on here? Also, for example if I go to AiProtection tab, "Router Security Assessment" shows a red circle with no settings shown, or if I go to USB tab, there's just nothing shown, blank page but otherwise all 'seems' to run as it should, just menus are blank and have to back arrow. All of my menu options are messed up, blank and not showing much, none of this has ever happened before, what changed here? so went back to 386.5_2 and now still have effed up menus, nothing showing on pages but basic stuff or nothing at all. For instance, Administration Tab shows just this with a save button on bottom:
"
Administration - Operation Mode

RT-AX86U supports several operation modes to meet different requirements. Please select the mode that match your situation.

If weirdness, reset, upload desired firmware, reset+initialize that firmware, and configure from scratch.

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE.
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition.

OE

I can't think why that would be the case. The DHCP/RA option is just a dnsmasq log setting and unrelated to the Flow Cache.
I can't really answer that, but thats the only change I made.

If weirdness, reset, upload desired firmware, reset+initialize that firmware, and configure from scratch.

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE.
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition.

OE
tried this, factory resetted etc. no success. should I flash back to Asus FW then again to Merlin? I'm afraid I don't understand, wth happened from the last FW (my case, 386.5_2) to this current to cause all of this?? My current ver shows as 386.5_2 since I went back to it but all my menus etc are still screwed up, any help is very much appreciated

Last edited:
Uploaded RT-AC86U_386.7_1-gd1340bd88e_cferom_ubi.w to my RT-AC86U.

At the end the webpage showed a dialog that the firmware update succeeded, but that I had to manually reboot my router (in that state my regular SSH keys were again not accepted).

After rebooting the firmware is listed as 386.7, not 368.7_1 or 386.7_1-gd1340bd88e.

What should this latest test build show? (Did the upgrade fail, or is the displayed version number wrong)

EDIT: Oh, now SSH works again and I see 386.7_0 in the terminal, so the update indeed failed...

but that I had to manually reboot my router

This message comes after some time with no communication with the router. When you see it, just wait. If you manually reboot the router, it may interrupt the firmware update process. Some guys got burned already with no boot condition after manual reboot. Ignore the message and just wait.

On 386_7_1, there was also a problem with wifi on ax88u (spontaneous wifi restart). Rolled back to 386_5_2

Im experienced otherwise, 386 7 1 running for 1 day and VPN was running here all day long (10 hours or so).
386 7 was buggy for me so I could not use it for 1 day in a row (did give it a shot for 4 days straight until crashed down totally).
So I reverted back to 386 5 2 and for a day now running 386 7 1

My procedure is as follows:
Update manually each AiMesh node, then router (IDR where I read this procedure), and then a reboot to the whole system.

I just hope @RMerlin would disable diagnostic log flood (like I quote earlier) in next stable ver (used to be in 386 7 beta somewhere and dismissed later on) and for me it would be perfect that way

tried this, factory resetted etc. no success. should I flash back to Asus FW? I'm afraid I don't understand, wth happened from the last FW (my case, 386.5_2) to this current?? My current ver shows as 386.5_2 since I went back to it but all my menus etc are screwed up. IMHO, this FW is a bust

Perhaps clear your browser or try button reset and router admin from another PC (with nothing else connected to the router). If you still doubt the firmware upload, download it again, verify its checksum, and upload it again to the router... and/or try a different release. If you don't require Asuswrt-Merlin, try stock Asuswrt.

I'm out of ideas.

OE

This message comes after some time with no communication with the router. When you see it, just wait. If you manually reboot the router, it may interrupt the firmware update process. Some guys got burned already with no boot condition after manual reboot. Ignore the message and just wait.
I already rebooted before posting... Fortunately it booted (with 386.7_0).

I just tried to update again; this time it worked and 386.7_1 is reported.

Just one curious thing ... I have just created a new config backup trough UI under 386.7. My previous backup had extension CFG and now it had extension TAR.

I thing my previous backup was under 386.7 too ... so I don't know why suddenly the backup extension had changed from CFG to TAR.

The previous backups from the JFFS Partition was TAR extension and is still TAR now, so this has not changed.

o_O
The most weird ... this is happening when I am using Firefox. Using Chrome ... the backup has CFG extension. :oops:

Out of curiosity I tried a backup of the settings in my freshly installed 386.7_1 (with Firefox 102.0.1 on a Windows 10 PC).

This resulted in a file with the extension ".tar" as well!

However, 7-Zip does not recognize the file as a valid archive...

EDIT: also tried it using Safari on macOS; then it results in a ".CFG" file...

If you have nothing using the logs (like Skynet), change the log level to hide the messages.
If you'd like to scope the log down to only those things that would mean trouble for a typical home network, what Default and Log Only settings would you recommend, if any?

Screenshot 2022-07-10 170827.jpg

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!