What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh i was like; "yeaahh a solution 😂"... i just tried this but still after few minutes it was PERM ARP entry was gone again...
Then I don`t know. I have no idea how or why that is happening. Nothing in the open source portions of 22525 would explain that behaviour, so it must be a change within the closed source components.

Yeah i was afraid of that... i was checking out like: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/1c2bd9d233fdaf07b3fe79c081b413a1a94183ae
There are also object files like arp.o (/data/ASUSWRT/asuswrt-repository-388-rc1-2/release/src-rt-5.04axhnd.675x/bootloaders/u-boot-2019.07/net/arp.c / u-boot-2019.07/net/arp.c) but im gonna check it later what happens on official firmware.... think that there also will disappears from ARP :(

Thanks for thinking with me/us 👍😊

Last edited:
388.2 last night, all went fine until I tried to enable IPv6 again. All sorts of issues not sure where to start. DCD Tained with dnsmasq, USB failing and unmounted, scripts stopping/starting, my infamous speedtest drop, and reboots. IPV6 and IPV6 Advanced no matter what I tried (should be Native wit AT&T Fiber) I either got a IPV6 WAN or IPV6 LAN addresses but never both. One combination of Native/Passthrough is what triggered the some of the event which caused the reboot. Even disabling IPv6 after the speedtest drop did noting until after the reboot. Also sorts of logged entries and some likely missed as the logger and scribe failed at different times.

You can see some of that in the attached, SpdMerlin stopped logging between 10:42pm and 23:15pm, and reloaded before test results starting coming back 1/2 at what they normally are. After disabling IPv6 did nothing to return my results to normal. A reboot at 1:23am to get back to normal, without IPv6.

My system logs are loaded with all sorts of failures of all sorts. From scripts failing due to the USB being unmounted, network map, dnsmasq, and so on making it difficult to find what failed first that cascaded everything else failing.

For example (only when IPv6 is enabled):
Router kernel: [0;33;41m[ERROR mcast] bcm_mcast_netlink_process_snoop_cfg,884: interface 33 could not be found[0m
Router dnsmasq-script[25309]: json_object_from_file: error opening file /jffs/nmp_vc_json.js: No such file or directory
Router networkmap: Error unlocking 9: 9 Bad file descriptor
Router kernel: CPU: 0 PID: 2071 Comm: dnsmasq Tainted: P O 4.1.51 #

What I need to do, find the time (at a decent hour, where I'm wide awake) to get very prescriptive and document what I set, and when and capture events in the logs to correlate with events. Which is going to be difficult because first, it's going to take hours, I'll neeed a window. Secondly with various scripts failing, including scribe and the instability of the router itself and the kernel with IPv6 enabled it's like looking for a needle in a haystack that keeps moving around the field. I'm assuming this is memory related, causing all the components to fail individually and impatecting my speedtest results, WiFi and even packet drops, but to capture where it begins is the challange.

Started with 388.2 beta after a HW refresh, continues with 388.2 from a dirty upgrade from beta.

So for now IPv6 stays disabled (on both IPv6 and IPv6 advanced) and a reboot to clean up and get back to stability until I can find the time to dig into this. But to be clear, other that this IPv6 issue I'm having, it's runing 100%

Attachments

• speedtest.txt
    4 KB · Views: 32
It took 40min to degrade to 80Mhz, I'd guess that 160Mhz is not suitable here because of environmental conditions.

Keeping 80Mhz, thats bummer but, better stable than in-stable.
I can say 100% that in 80Mhz my network is stable like should be.

I'D guess that 160Mhz not suitable here, even though 36 CH is used in same way
Have an Android? Grab "WiFi Analyzer (open-source)" (because it also shows wifi6 unlike most of the others) and see how much wifi competition you have. It should be visually apparent why 160mhz isn't working (several neighbors at 1 or more channels along your extra wide band). This is still good news though, can't wait to upgrade! 388.1 has been amazine for my ET8's.

Then I don`t know. I have no idea how or why that is happening. Nothing in the open source portions of 22525 would explain that behaviour, so it must be a change within the closed source components.
I'm unfamiliar with "ARP". Does this issue with static ARP entries have anything to do with static DHCP leases or communicating between hosts with statically assigned leases? Just wondering since I'd prefer to skip 388.2 if it affects that feature. Thanks a million!!

Dirty flashed to 388.2 from 388.1on my GT-AXE11000 and my 6 Ghz network now shows up and connects on my M2 MacBook Pro. So either there was a fix in this firmware or Apple fixed a bug, but happy it works now. :)

Thanks for the firmware!

There are also object files like arp.o (/data/ASUSWRT/asuswrt-repository-388-rc1-2/release/src-rt-5.04axhnd.675x/bootloaders/u-boot-2019.07/net/arp.c / u-boot-2019.07/net/arp.c)
That's the bootloader, it's not part of the running firmware.

I'm unfamiliar with "ARP". Does this issue with static ARP entries have anything to do with static DHCP leases or communicating between hosts with statically assigned leases? Just wondering since I'd prefer to skip 388.2 if it affects that feature.
No. ARP is the protocol used by Ethernet to communicate, which means this sits at a lower level than TCP/IP stuff.

Dirty upgrade from 388.2_beta2 to 388.2 performed this morning and, this time, did not forgot to first stop unbound (had to reformat my USB key since unbound could no longer be re-installed). No issues to report at this time with my GT-AX6000 router.

As an observation (since previously reported by @Dedel66 and @shabbs), the QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor is still working for me (like in 388.2_beta1 and beta2) without Apps analysis enabled:
1681411580401.png

Thanks again @RMerlin.

No. ARP is the protocol used by Ethernet to communicate, which means this sits at a lower level than TCP/IP stuff.
Yeah im trying to compare alpha 1 to newer version, because from that one and newer, arp perm entry gets lost... also trying to find my way into the structure how things are working haha

Nevertheless, already love this router 86u pro (also compared it with 88u pro but in my situation only 2.4ghz signal was little bit better on 88u pro. But 5ghz was faster on 86u pro) with asuswrt merlin... the fact that this is possible / building firmware (almost impossible to brick it i think?) customize and improve stuff is awesome! My wife doesnt really likes it, because we've got some internet down time lol

Where should i begin?🤣

1681413484053.png

No update 388 yet for Wifi 5 (AC) models? AC86U specifically.
The repo still only shows the 386 firmware of last month to be the latest.

Yeah im trying to compare alpha 1 to newer version
That would be futile, since alpha 2 contained a whole GPL merge. That means entire Broadcom SDK update + update for all closed source binary blobs for each model.

That would be futile, since alpha 2 contained a whole GPL merge. That means entire Broadcom SDK update + update for all closed source binary blobs for each model.
It was me that reported solving it with the option Spanning-Tree Protocol, but after further testing it didn't work, sorry if i mislead the comunity. I reverted to 388.1 for now...

Something new or it's been there in Bandwidth Monitor? Clicking a client icon shows all connection's bandwidth of that prticular client.
bandwidthM.jpg

yeah i think you are not really from this world... if i see all your work in github all the commits... whoo you did a lot of work man...

Also tried 3.0.0.4.388_22525 official (non merlin) asuswrt and there the PERM ARP entry stays at ARP table... Already an hour... 🫤.
If you can point me in "the right" direction? Im gonna give it another try tomorrow...

Have a nice day! Cheers!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.