What's new

AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin AdGuardHome Installer Addon has officially been added to the roster of projects that incorporate AdGuardHome!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you. I see it there in AMTM ready to be installed.

Does AdGuardHome do anything that Diversion doesn’t do, and vice versa? Is it a case of choosing one or the other, but not both?

Such software tends to protect the user from malicious sites as well as from less malicious (or benign?) ad sites, and yet it always seems that it’s the protection from ads that gets highlighted; can I presume AdGuardHome similarly offers protection from malicious sites, too?

Thank you. I see it there in AMTM ready to be installed.

Does AdGuardHome do anything that Diversion doesn’t do, and vice versa? Is it a case of choosing one or the other, but not both?
Here is the low down.

Diversion ( ad-blocker that utilizes the blocking capabilities of dnsmasq). Diversion is a beautifully written script by @thelonelycoder . It is sufficient for those that are wanting to set it and forget it since it has stream line automatic block list updates and such. However, Diversion is confined to the functionality of DNSMASQ, but should be sufficient for the average user. Diversion has some Webui additions like some of the other add-ons. Similar, UiDivStats is an add-on that provides statistics for Diversion in the Web-UI.

AdGuardHome is all-in-one DNS Resolver and Ad-blocker that has a brilliant statistics Web-UI. Ad-blocking supports both filters, regex, and list style block lists. AdGuardHome allows users to use DoT, DoH, DoQ, and Dnscrypt as upstream resolvers. Also, AdGuardHome can act as a DoT, DoH, and DoQ server (with some additions and manipulations it can also serve dnscrypt). ( oh yeah, AdGuardHome can also act as a dhcp server like pihole).

Fundamental differences:

AdGuardHome is a single binary that achieves all of its above listed features.

Diversion is a conglomerate of beautifully written, and functioning, scripts written by @thelonelycoder that achieves similar adblocking functionality. Diversions blocking capabilities are only limited by the capabilities of DNSMASQ(and pixelserv-tls if it is being used).

To better answer your question

Such software tends to protect the user from malicious sites as well as from less malicious (or benign?) ad sites, and yet it always seems that it’s the protection from ads that gets highlighted; can I presume AdGuardHome similarly offers protection from malicious sites, too?

Both AdGuardHome and Diversion can block malicious and ad-serving domains. (Basically any domain in your blocklist will be blocked at the DNS level.)

The final statement: Just because AdGuardHome has a lot in a single binary does not mean users should skip out on experiencing Diversion.

@martinr if you are content with your diversion setup, I would stick with it. If you are wanting to plunge into new stuff and want some of the adguardhome features, then maybe you should try adguardhome. Just remember to make backups, they are your best friend when experimenting.

Last edited:
@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow First of all, congratulations for the news and the great work done. I am a user of an ac68u and an ax86u in its stock version I have DoT configured with adguard-dns.io in the router. Adguard mentions in its version 2.0 of its adguard-dns service that in the future both will be complemented or unified. They left the door open to this topic without specifying too much the path that these two services will take. I wanted to know your opinion on this and how this would impact the integration. TIA

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow First of all, congratulations for the news and the great work done. I am a user of an ac68u and an ax86u in its stock version I have DoT configured with adguard-dns.io in the router. Adguard mentions in its version 2.0 of its adguard-dns service that in the future both will be complemented or unified. They left the door open to this topic without specifying too much the path that these two services will take. I wanted to know your opinion on this and how this would impact the integration. TIA
Well you have to understand that there are a slew of for profit adguard products . There is the for profit side that deals with the Adguard dns service itself, then there is Adguardhome which is a non-profit open source spinoff of Adguard.

While most of the adguard apps come with a purchase price or a subscription cost, AdGuard Home is both free and open source. That being said, there is a lot more setup involved compared to the other products available from AdGuard. I personally tend to steer clear of for profit aspects of adguard, and I strictly work with Adguardhome itself which is completely free and completely self configurable.

Here is the low down.

Diversion ( ad-blocker that utilizes the blocking capabilities of dnsmasq). Diversion is a beautifully written script by @thelonelycoder . It is sufficient for those that are wanting to set it and forget it since it has stream line automatic block list updates and such. However, Diversion is confined to the functionality of DNSMASQ, but should be sufficient for the average user. Diversion has some Webui additions like some of the other add-ons. Similar, UiDivStats is an add-on that provides statistics for Diversion in the Web-UI.

AdGuardHome is all-in-one DNS Resolver and Ad-blocker that has a brilliant statistics Web-UI. Ad-blocking supports both filters, regex, and list style block lists. AdGuardHome allows users to use DoT, DoH, DoQ, and Dnscrypt as upstream resolvers. Also, AdGuardHome can act as a DoT, DoH, and DoQ server (with some additions and manipulations it can also serve dnscrypt). ( oh yeah, AdGuardHome can also act as a dhcp server like pihole).

Fundamental differences:

AdGuardHome is a single binary that achieves all of its above listed features.

Diversion is a conglomerate of beautifully written, and functioning, scripts written by @thelonelycoder that achieves similar adblocking functionality. Diversions blocking capabilities are only limited by the capabilities of DNSMASQ(and pixelserv-tls if it is being used).

To better answer your question

Both AdGuardHome and Diversion can block malicious and ad-serving domains. (Basically any domain in your blocklist will be blocked at the DNS level.)

The final statement: Just because AdGuardHome has a lot in a single binary does not mean users should skip out on experiencing Diversion.

@martinr if you are content with your diversion setup, I would stick with it. If you are wanting to plunge into new stuff and want some of the adguardhome features, then maybe you should try adguardhome. Just remember to make backups, they are your best friend when experimenting.
Thank you for such a comprehensive, excellent and clear explanation.

Where can I find the Timezone/locations list?
When I try to install can only enter a number between 1 and 595.

Thanks

Where can I find the Timezone/locations list?
When I try to install can only enter a number between 1 and 595.

Thanks

Show screenshots of what you see because the list should show up on the terminal screen.

Here is an example of what you should see on the terminal screen, except I have used the package column from entware to split the list into columns for those who are doing the install from smaller terminal screens.

1661235366817.png

The number on the list represents the specific timezone file used.

Last edited:
Here's what I get since I don't see/get the list

1661237492175.png

Hmm, it appears there is an issue with column package for your entware (or an issue with one of its entware dependencies. From the ssh terminal,

Try

Code:
opkg install column --force-reinstall --force-overwrite

Then rerun the installer.
Did that... Same result.
But i'M trying to force an update of EntWare package now and see it anything changes

The update of Entware fixed the issue! Thanks for the help... it help me realized there was probably an update available
Now I'm able to see all the list!