What's new

AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI) cont.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How can we donate you a coffee? Thank you again
I am on the donations page for addons https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-addon-software-catalog.82059/ . The only means I have available at the moment is PayPal. I don't expect anyone to donate though. It is nice to know the AGH installer and scripts is working. For me, it has been running very well:

1703723979294.png

I have had no strange issues. Seems the AGH development are moving along the right path with improvements every day.

Last edited:
Just started looking into this... currently using Diversion and I think it works great but are there any benefits to me switching over? I do like tinkering so sometime I get bored and seem to create more work and problems for myself 😂

Just started looking into this... currently using Diversion and I think it works great but are there any benefits to me switching over? I do like tinkering so sometime I get bored and seem to create more work and problems for myself 😂
I would not describe adguard as something for someone who likes to dabble and tinker. It is more like something you set and forget, unless you are trying to be one of the endless beta testers for the adguardhome developers.

I would not describe adguard as something for someone who likes to dabble and tinker. It is more like something you set and forget, unless you are trying to be one of the endless beta testers for the adguardhome developers.
No, I meant more as I'm happy with my current set up but always looking for another piece of software to dabble with/figure out

Look at the features, compare. Use whatever you like better. AdGuard Home runs well on routers with 1GB RAM with reasonable number of entries in blocklists. When I say much better GUI I mean MUCH better with more configuration options and easier to use. Why not try and see?

No, I meant more as I'm happy with my current set up but always looking for another piece of software to dabble with/figure out
I would recommend reading more about adguardhome including adguardhomes wiki on github. It is important that you understand how it works, and if it is something you wish to do. As @Tech9 has pointed out, other than a few niche bells and whistles, using adguardhome is not much different than using Diversion. Maybe @thelonelycoder will add an ability to specify the blocking method used in a later diversion update (e.g. null, no-data, or nxdomain) depending on user choice. Otherwise, there is not much difference between adguardhomes adblock versus diversions other than being able to use special filters and client based filter rules.

Thanks guys, looks like I've got some reading to do!

I think I'll give it a whirl anyway just to see what it's like; always nice to know what my other options are

Just curious where can I find the AGH backup file within WinSCP? I will be reformatting my USB and just want to make a backup of it (backup of backup :)).

Also is it possible to backup the manual client names I made thru AGH client settings? Thanks!

Just curious where can I find the AGH backup file within WinSCP? I will be reformatting my USB and just want to make a backup of it (backup of backup :)).

Also is it possible to backup the manual client names I made thru AGH client settings? Thanks!
so, the installer scripts backup feature creates a backup of /opt/etc/AdGuardHome directory. Anything inside the directory will be included which should include your AGH settings files (e.g. client data, statistics, etc.). The compressed backup gets saved to /opt/etc directory.

hi!, something rare happen to my router, i have axe11000 and install everything ok, i just have the adguard home in to the router. But when i restart the router lose the instalation, even the entware delete. Someone can suggest something, thx.

hi!, something rare happen to my router, i have axe11000 and install everything ok, i just have the adguard home in to the router. But when i restart the router lose the instalation, even the entware delete. Someone can suggest something, thx.
You have bigger problems if your "entware delete". I would help if I knew where to start, but I don't. Maybe someone else on here may know about this "entware delete" issue, but this seems to be off topic even by the sound of whats being explained. Entware is a requirement for AdGuardHome to work. If your entware becomes corrupt, broken, or missing then that is an entware problem. This installer does not control what happens to entware, but the adguardhome installation requires entware to remain functional. Your bigger issue is your "entware delete" issue which needs to be addressed in a separate thread. Your issues could be even worse. You could have an improperly formatted USB storage (needs to be ext2, ext3, or ext4). Your jffs could be messed up. There are a lot of factors at play here that could cause your "entware delete". I wish I could be of more help with this matter.

Last edited:
You have bigger problems if your "entware delete". I would help if I knew where to start, but I don't. Maybe someone else on here may know about this "entware delete" issue, but this seems to be off topic even by the sound of whats being explained. Entware is a requirement for AdGuardHome to work. If your entware becomes corrupt, broken, or missing then that is an entware problem. This installer does not control what happens to entware, but the adguardhome installation requires entware to remain functional. Your bigger issue is your "entware delete" issue which needs to be addressed in a separate thread. Your issues could be even worse. You could have an improperly formatted USB storage (needs to be ext2, ext3, or ext4). Your jffs could be messed up. There are a lot of factors at play here that could cause your "entware delete". I wish I could be of more help with this matter.
Likely a bad, or going bad USB stick...I suggest try a net new stick FRESH.

Likely a bad, or going bad USB stick...I suggest try a net new stick FRESH.
Yes i trie that, i use 3 usb 3.2 and happen the same. This weekend i try to reset the router and see what happen, thx for the help guys!

There is an issue with last version (0.107.43, related to the schema_version 28). The installer fails with the following yaml.err:

Code:
http:
  address: 0.0.0.0:3000
users:
- name: user
  password: xxx
dns:
  bind_host: 0.0.0.0
  port: 53
  upstream_dns:
  - '[/router.asus.com/][::]:553'
  - '[/www.asusnetwork.net/][::]:553'
  - '[/www.asusrouter.com/][::]:553'
  - '[/use-application-dns.net/][::]:553'
  - '[/dns.resolver.arpa/][::]:553'
  - '[/local/][::]:553'
  - '[//][::]:553'
  - tcp://9.9.9.9
  - tcp://1.1.1.1
  bootstrap_dns:
  fallback_dns:
  resolve_clients: true
  use_private_ptr_resolvers: true
  local_ptr_upstreams:
  - '[::]:553'
  - '[/10.in-addr.arpa/][::]:553'
  - '[/168.192.in-addr.arpa/][::]:553'
schema_version: 28

To make it work I had to change the schema_version to 27 and dns.bind_host to dns.bind_hosts as specified by the AdGuard Wiki (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki/Configuration#configuration-file) and restart the router.

Just for dev info, and unrelated to this issue, the changelog for the next unreleased version (0.107.44) state this:

- The schema version of the configuration file to the output of running
`AdGuardHome` (or `AdGuardHome.exe) with `-v --version` command-line options
([#6545]).

I see that the issue 6545 was raised by dev, so just a reminder that this is reaching the release channel :)

Last edited:
There is an issue with last version (0.107.43, related to the schema_version 28). The installer fails with the following yaml.err:

Code:
http:
  address: 0.0.0.0:3000
users:
- name: user
  password: xxx
dns:
  bind_host: 0.0.0.0
  port: 53
  upstream_dns:
  - '[/router.asus.com/][::]:553'
  - '[/www.asusnetwork.net/][::]:553'
  - '[/www.asusrouter.com/][::]:553'
  - '[/use-application-dns.net/][::]:553'
  - '[/dns.resolver.arpa/][::]:553'
  - '[/local/][::]:553'
  - '[//][::]:553'
  bootstrap_dns:
  fallback_dns:
  resolve_clients: true
  use_private_ptr_resolvers: true
  local_ptr_upstreams:
  - '[::]:553'
  - '[/10.in-addr.arpa/][::]:553'
  - '[/168.192.in-addr.arpa/][::]:553'
schema_version: 28

To make it work I had to change the schema_version to 27 and dns.bind_host to dns.bind_hosts as specified by the AdGuard Wiki (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki/Configuration#configuration-file) and restart the router.

Just for dev info, and unrelated to this issue, the changelog for the next unreleased version (0.107.44) state this:

I see that the issue 6545 was raised by dev, so just a reminder that this is reaching the release channel :)
Yep the installer doesn't officially/specifically set the dns.bindhost option when installing, so this looks like it might be related specifically to the a schema api failure. I will take a look at it because it may be broken upstream with adguardhome. Either that or we are caught in the headwinds of an upstream release that hasn't finalized.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!