What's new

AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI) cont.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, I'll leave it as is; every now & then I"ll see a "dns: buffer size too small" message but it's not affecting anything!
yea, as long as your dns is working you are fine. it is best to use multiple servers, instead of a single server. some of the buffer size issues is because of udp, some are because of the upstream server. It is hard to pinpoint when I have incorporated all of the AdGuardHome devs advice when dealing with that issue. It leaves the only culprit as the upstream server.

When adding multple servers, do you recommend adding them under the 'Upstream DNS servers' only or add them under 'Fallback & Bootstrap' as well? I have the default ones as of now:

Upstream DNS servers
Code:
[/router.asus.com/][::]:553
[/www.asusnetwork.net/][::]:553
[/www.asusrouter.com/][::]:553
[/use-application-dns.net/][::]:553
[/dns.resolver.arpa/][::]:553
[/myhome.lan/][::]:553
[//][::]:553
tcp://9.9.9.9
tcp://8.8.8.8

Fallback
Code:

Bootstrap
Code:

I'll be around!!! I'm trying out the latest AdGuardHome stable release without issues so far!!!

Do you recommend any changes below (w/optimistic caching = enabled) for the GT-AX11000?

Code:
DNS cache configuration
Here you can configure DNS cache
Cache size
DNS cache size (in bytes). To disable caching, leave empty.
Override minimum TTL
Extend short time-to-live values (seconds) received from the upstream server when caching DNS responses.
Override maximum TTL
Set a maximum time-to-live value (seconds) for entries in the DNS cache.
If you have free time again, and don't mind running another test.
try
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer master
from the command line again.
be patient because there may be some brief pauses.

If you have free time again, and don't mind running another test.
try
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer master
from the command line again.
be patient because there may be some brief pauses.
You want me to run the command even though I have AGH installed already, or do you want me to uninstall 1st?

When adding multple servers, do you recommend adding them under the 'Upstream DNS servers' only or add them under 'Fallback & Bootstrap' as well? I have the default ones as of now:

Upstream DNS servers
Code:
[/router.asus.com/][::]:553
[/www.asusnetwork.net/][::]:553
[/www.asusrouter.com/][::]:553
[/use-application-dns.net/][::]:553
[/dns.resolver.arpa/][::]:553
[/myhome.lan/][::]:553
[//][::]:553

Fallback
Code:

Bootstrap
Code:
here is my current upstream.

Code:
https://security.cloudflare-dns.com/dns-query
tls://security.cloudflare-dns.com
https://dns11.quad9.net/dns-query
tls://dns11.quad9.net
sdns://AQMAAAAAAAAADTkuOS45LjExOjg0NDMgZ8hHuMh1jNEgJFVDvnVnRt803x2EwAuMRwNo34Idhj4ZMi5kbnNjcnlwdC1jZXJ0LnF1YWQ5Lm5ldA
sdns://AQMAAAAAAAAAElsyNjIwOmZlOjoxMV06ODQ0MyBnyEe4yHWM0SAkVUO-dWdG3zTfHYTAC4xHA2jfgh2GPhkyLmRuc2NyeXB0LWNlcnQucXVhZDkubmV0

in place of

Code:

in the upstream part. The rest is the same.

you can always change which servers the

Fallback
Code:

Bootstrap
Code:

use as long as you keep that same logic of how it is typed into the boxes.

No need to uninstall. just upgrade keeping the same stuff's. I want to see if the upgrade process goes without a hiccup for you. It did for me.
Everything processed smoothly!!!

Code:
p8867335@GT-AX11000-XXXX:/tmp/home/root# curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-M
erlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer master
##############################################################################################################
# █████╗ ███████╗██╗   ██╗███████╗██╗    ██╗██████╗ ████████╗   ███╗   ███╗███████╗██████╗ ██╗     ██╗███╗   #
#██╔══██╗██╔════╝██║   ██║██╔════╝██║    ██║██╔══██╗╚══██╔══╝   ████╗ ████║██╔════╝██╔══██╗██║     ██║████╗  #
#███████║███████╗██║   ██║███████╗██║ █╗ ██║██████╔╝   ██║█████╗██╔████╔██║█████╗  ██████╔╝██║     ██║██╔██╗ #
#██╔══██║╚════██║██║   ██║╚════██║██║███╗██║██╔══██╗   ██║╚════╝██║╚██╔╝██║██╔══╝  ██╔══██╗██║     ██║██║╚██╗#
#██║  ██║███████║╚██████╔╝███████║╚███╔███╔╝██║  ██║   ██║      ██║ ╚═╝ ██║███████╗██║  ██║███████╗██║██║ ╚██#
#╚═╝  ╚═╝╚══════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚══════╝ ╚══╝╚══╝ ╚═╝  ╚═╝   ╚═╝      ╚═╝     ╚═╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚══════╝╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═#
# █████╗ ██████╗  ██████╗ ██╗   ██╗ █████╗ ██████╗ ██████╗ ██╗  ██╗ ██████╗ ███╗   ███╗███████╗              #
#██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██╔════╝ ██║   ██║██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██║  ██║██╔═══██╗████╗ ████║██╔════╝              #
#███████║██║  ██║██║  ███╗██║   ██║███████║██████╔╝██║  ██║███████║██║   ██║██╔████╔██║█████╗                #
#██╔══██║██║  ██║██║   ██║██║   ██║██╔══██║██╔══██╗██║  ██║██╔══██║██║   ██║██║╚██╔╝██║██╔══╝                #
#██║  ██║██████╔╝╚██████╔╝╚██████╔╝██║  ██║██║  ██║██████╔╝██║  ██║╚██████╔╝██║ ╚═╝ ██║███████╗              #
#╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═════╝  ╚═════╝  ╚═════╝ ╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═════╝ ╚═╝  ╚═╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═╝     ╚═╝╚══════╝              #
#██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗████████╗ █████╗ ██╗     ██╗     ███████╗██████╗     Author:                           #
#██║████╗  ██║██╔════╝╚══██╔══╝██╔══██╗██║     ██║     ██╔════╝██╔══██╗          SomeWhereOverTheRainBow     #
#██║██╔██╗ ██║███████╗   ██║   ███████║██║     ██║     █████╗  ██████╔╝    Contributors:                     #
#██║██║╚██╗██║╚════██║   ██║   ██╔══██║██║     ██║     ██╔══╝  ██╔══██╗          JackYaz,gspannu,thelonelycod#
#██║██║ ╚████║███████║   ██║   ██║  ██║███████╗███████╗███████╗██║  ██║    v1.7.1                            #
#╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝   ╚═╝   ╚═╝  ╚═╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝                                      #
##############################################################################################################
 Info:  Detected GT-AX11000 router.
 Info:  Detected Linux platform.
 Info:  Detected ARMv8 architecture.
 Info:  JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled.
 Info:  DNS Environment is Ready.
 Info:  AI_VERSION=v1.7.1
 Info:  ADGUARDHOME_BUILD=Release
 Info:  ADGUARDHOME_VER=v0.107.43
 Info:  Run Option 1 to if you want to change builds or upgrade when updates are available.
 Info:  To visit AdGuardHome,
 Info:  please go to http://192.168.1.1:XXXX.
 Info:  You can use the WebUI to change things to your liking!
 Info:  Stop by https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki
 Info:  for any configuration needs.
 Info:  Choose what you want to do:
  1) Install/Update AdGuardHome
  2) Uninstall
  3) Change Username/Password
  4) Reconfigure
  b) Backup
  q) Quit
 =>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-4/b/q]: 1
 Info:  This operation will install AdGuardHome and related files (<6MB)
 Info:  to ENTWARE, no other data will be changed.
 Info:  Also some start scripts will be installed/modified as required.
 =>  Do you want to install AdGuardHome? [y/n]: y
 =>  Do you want create a backup before updating? [y/n]: n
 Info:  continuing without making a backup.
 Info:  installer is up to date. Skipping...
 =>  Do you want to switch AdGuardHome builds? [y/n]: n
 Info:  continuing without changing builds.
 Info:  No new release version available.
 Info:  AdGuardHome.sh is up to date. Skipping...
 Info:  S99AdGuardHome is up to date. Skipping...
 Info:  rc.func.AdGuardHome is up to date. Skipping...
 Info:  init-start file already configured
 Info:  services-stop file already configured
 Info:  dnsmasq.postconf file already configured
 Info:  Configure service-event-end file
 Info:  Configuring AdGuardHome...
 Info:  Checking AdGuardHome configuration...
 Info:  Found previous AdGuardHome config file
 =>  Do you want to use this file without reconfiguring? [y/n]: y
 Info:  Use previous settings file
 Info:  Starting AdGuardHome...
 Checking AdGuardHome...              dead.
 Checking AdGuardHome...              alive.
 Info:  Please wait while we perform one last check.
 Info:  AdGuardHome setup is complete.
 Info:  Operation completed, returning to Main Menu. You can quit or continue.

Everything processed smoothly!!!

Code:
p8867335@GT-AX11000-XXXX:/tmp/home/root# curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-M
erlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer master
# █████╗ ███████╗██╗   ██╗███████╗██╗    ██╗██████╗ ████████╗   ███╗   ███╗███████╗██████╗ ██╗     ██╗███╗   #
#██╔══██╗██╔════╝██║   ██║██╔════╝██║    ██║██╔══██╗╚══██╔══╝   ████╗ ████║██╔════╝██╔══██╗██║     ██║████╗  #
#███████║███████╗██║   ██║███████╗██║ █╗ ██║██████╔╝   ██║█████╗██╔████╔██║█████╗  ██████╔╝██║     ██║██╔██╗ #
#██╔══██║╚════██║██║   ██║╚════██║██║███╗██║██╔══██╗   ██║╚════╝██║╚██╔╝██║██╔══╝  ██╔══██╗██║     ██║██║╚██╗#
#██║  ██║███████║╚██████╔╝███████║╚███╔███╔╝██║  ██║   ██║      ██║ ╚═╝ ██║███████╗██║  ██║███████╗██║██║ ╚██#
#╚═╝  ╚═╝╚══════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚══════╝ ╚══╝╚══╝ ╚═╝  ╚═╝   ╚═╝      ╚═╝     ╚═╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚══════╝╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═#
# █████╗ ██████╗  ██████╗ ██╗   ██╗ █████╗ ██████╗ ██████╗ ██╗  ██╗ ██████╗ ███╗   ███╗███████╗              #
#██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██╔════╝ ██║   ██║██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██║  ██║██╔═══██╗████╗ ████║██╔════╝              #
#███████║██║  ██║██║  ███╗██║   ██║███████║██████╔╝██║  ██║███████║██║   ██║██╔████╔██║█████╗                #
#██╔══██║██║  ██║██║   ██║██║   ██║██╔══██║██╔══██╗██║  ██║██╔══██║██║   ██║██║╚██╔╝██║██╔══╝                #
#██║  ██║██████╔╝╚██████╔╝╚██████╔╝██║  ██║██║  ██║██████╔╝██║  ██║╚██████╔╝██║ ╚═╝ ██║███████╗              #
#╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═════╝  ╚═════╝  ╚═════╝ ╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═════╝ ╚═╝  ╚═╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═╝     ╚═╝╚══════╝              #
#██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗████████╗ █████╗ ██╗     ██╗     ███████╗██████╗     Author:                           #
#██║████╗  ██║██╔════╝╚══██╔══╝██╔══██╗██║     ██║     ██╔════╝██╔══██╗          SomeWhereOverTheRainBow     #
#██║██╔██╗ ██║███████╗   ██║   ███████║██║     ██║     █████╗  ██████╔╝    Contributors:                     #
#██║██║╚██╗██║╚════██║   ██║   ██╔══██║██║     ██║     ██╔══╝  ██╔══██╗          JackYaz,gspannu,thelonelycod#
#██║██║ ╚████║███████║   ██║   ██║  ██║███████╗███████╗███████╗██║  ██║    v1.7.1                            #
#╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝   ╚═╝   ╚═╝  ╚═╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝                                      #
 Info:  Detected GT-AX11000 router.
 Info:  Detected Linux platform.
 Info:  Detected ARMv8 architecture.
 Info:  JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled.
 Info:  DNS Environment is Ready.
 Info:  AI_VERSION=v1.7.1
 Info:  Run Option 1 to if you want to change builds or upgrade when updates are available.
 Info:  To visit AdGuardHome,
 Info:  please go to http://192.168.1.1:XXXX.
 Info:  You can use the WebUI to change things to your liking!
 Info:  Stop by https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki
 Info:  for any configuration needs.
 Info:  Choose what you want to do:
  1) Install/Update AdGuardHome
  2) Uninstall
  3) Change Username/Password
  4) Reconfigure
  b) Backup
  q) Quit
 =>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-4/b/q]: 1
 Info:  This operation will install AdGuardHome and related files (<6MB)
 Info:  to ENTWARE, no other data will be changed.
 Info:  Also some start scripts will be installed/modified as required.
 =>  Do you want to install AdGuardHome? [y/n]: y
 =>  Do you want create a backup before updating? [y/n]: n
 Info:  continuing without making a backup.
 Info:  installer is up to date. Skipping...
 =>  Do you want to switch AdGuardHome builds? [y/n]: n
 Info:  continuing without changing builds.
 Info:  No new release version available.
 Info:  AdGuardHome.sh is up to date. Skipping...
 Info:  S99AdGuardHome is up to date. Skipping...
 Info:  rc.func.AdGuardHome is up to date. Skipping...
 Info:  init-start file already configured
 Info:  services-stop file already configured
 Info:  dnsmasq.postconf file already configured
 Info:  Configure service-event-end file
 Info:  Configuring AdGuardHome...
 Info:  Checking AdGuardHome configuration...
 Info:  Found previous AdGuardHome config file
 =>  Do you want to use this file without reconfiguring? [y/n]: y
 Info:  Use previous settings file
 Info:  Starting AdGuardHome...
 Checking AdGuardHome...              dead.
 Info:  Please wait while we perform one last check.
 Info:  AdGuardHome setup is complete.
 Info:  Operation completed, returning to Main Menu. You can quit or continue.
I just tested it from the AMTM menu as well, no issues. @saison2023 should be content for awhile!

I just tested it from the AMTM menu as well, no issues. @saison2023 should be content for awhile!

I just tested it from the AMTM menu me also and it went very very well! (even better than previous tests we did earlier today)

As you said, I am very happy 😁

Thank you very much!!

Worth noting these new updates are going through just fine without any complaints about config files - cheers! Happy holidays!
Just want to make a small note here. There may be a brief hang between updates where you have a brief pause before the installation script fully reloads, this is because AdGuardHome takes a brief period of time to fully get DNS service back up and running after restarts. I did not want the script to go any further and flag false DNS issues.
1703245496620.png

I may at some point add a small note, mentioning that.

I somehow installed the newest update but got an error after doing so. My adguard instance also seemed to be inactive and going to the web ui showed that everything was reset. I then reset amtm and tried reinstalling adguard home using the installer but now the error pops up before installing. The error reads:
curl: option --retry-all-errors: is unknown
I'm using an RT-AC87U running merlin 384.13_10, the latest available.

I somehow installed the newest update but got an error after doing so. My adguard instance also seemed to be inactive and going to the web ui showed that everything was reset. I then reset amtm and tried reinstalling adguard home using the installer but now the error pops up before installing. The error reads:

I'm using an RT-AC87U running merlin 384.13_10, the latest available.
Yea it is because the Curl version on your firmware is an older version that does not have that option. Also, the RT-AC87U is no longer RMerlin supported. You are likely to run into hiccups like this in the future when trying to use addons with that model router because your firmware version is from almost 4 years ago. The --retry-all-errors option was added in /usr/sbin/curl --version 7.71.0. Your routers firmware should have /usr/sbin/curl --version 7.67.0 installed. Which means the current latest RMerlin firmware version supported by the installer is 386.1

Last edited:
Yea it is because the Curl version on your firmware is an older version that does not have that option. Also, the RT-AC87U is no longer RMerlin supported. You are likely to run into hiccups like this in the future when trying to use addons with that model router. The --retry-all-errors option was added in /usr/sbin/curl --version 7.71.0. Your routers firmware should have /usr/sbin/curl --version 7.67.0 installed. Which means the current latest supported firmware version supported by the installer is 386.1
Thanks, that was what I was thinking but afraid of. Is there any way to update curl? I couldn't find any guides online.
I know the 87U is basically EOL but I'm trying to extends it's life a little further until my OPNsense box is finished.

Thanks! You're the best. Worked perfectly.
Not a problem. Just be mindful that as you approach the 5 and 6 year mark on that router firmware, compatibility is going to gradually if not instantaneously change for you in regards to addons you are able to use. It wouldn't hurt at some point to upgrade. I get it, I am just like you in regards to holding on to things that work well. I still have a few RT-AC56U in use doing minimalist operations because they work perfect still even after years of no support, but consider changing out your main router within the next year or so. You have a great community here to help you along the way.

Last edited:
Not a problem. Just be mindful that as you approach the 5 and 6 year mark on that router firmware, compatibility is going to gradually if not instantaneously change for you in regards to addons you are able to use. It wouldn't hurt at some point to upgrade. I get it, I am just like you in regards to holding on to things that work well. I still have a few RT-AC56U in use doing minimalist operations because they work perfect still even after years of no support, but consider changing out your main router within the next year or so. You have a great community here to help you along the way.
How can we donate you a coffee? Thank you again

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!