What's new

AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI) cont.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You may have to update and upgrade your entware repository using AMTM. Recent changes have rendered several entware binaries unusable on the older repository which may include python. It appears the installer is not finding your python binary which is required to generate the user credentials. What I recommend trying is upgrading the entware repository with amtm first. If that fails, then you may have to uninstall and reinstall the python binary.
Hello, thanks for getting back.
I had just tried updating and upgrading entware repository but the same issue remains.

forgive me for being noob, how do I go about uninstalling and reinstalling python binary?
Appreciate your help

Hello, thanks for getting back.
I had just tried updating and upgrading entware repository but the same issue remains.

forgive me for being noob, how do I go about uninstalling and reinstalling python binary?
Appreciate your help
Try rebooting your router. Then upgrading entware.

Here is how to upgrade entware with amtm option

Screenshot_20220906-112215_JuiceSSH.jpg

Thanks a million! Let me try it tomorrow. It’s getting late in my timezone.
But thanks a lot, I will try and report back again
Not a problem. If none of these solutions solve the issue, then your entware repository may simply be corrupt which could be caused by numerous possibilities, one of which might be bad memory storage. As a last resort you may have to start out with a fresh amtm and entware on a different usb storage device.

The errors you are running into with the installer are caused from the installer not being able to utilize the entware tools in your repo. which are deemed necessary to encrypt your password for adguardhome.

The error 400 is a side effect of not being able to generate a readable password for adguardhome. As a side note, Make sure the password and user names you are trying to use are not too long or have any strange characters. I am not sure if that would have a factor, but it should be tried to help eliminate it as a possible problem.

Last edited:
Not a problem. If none of these solutions solve the issue, then your entware repository may simply be corrupt which could be caused by numerous possibilities, one of which might be bad memory storage. As a last resort you may have to start out with a fresh amtm and entware on a different usb storage device.

The errors you are running into with the installer are caused from the installer not being able to utilize the entware tools in your repo. which are deemed necessary to encrypt your password for adguardhome.

The error 400 is a side effect of not being able to generate a readable password for adguardhome. As a side note, Make sure the password and user names you are trying to use are not too long or have any strange characters. I am not sure if that would have a factor, but it should be tried to help eliminate it as a possible problem.
The last option definitely helps. I have to uninstall and format everything to be able to login!.
Finally!

And thanks a lot for the advice. You rock man!

Hi,

thanks for the great addon
I would like to request a small feature
Is it possible to have a quick update option, without need to go through all the configuration again under menu [1]

Hi,

thanks for the great addon
I would like to request a small feature
Is it possible to have a quick update option, without need to go through all the configuration again under menu [1]
You could try this one liner. Be warned I haven't tested it in a while.

Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer master update

If it works, then that is probably as close as I will get to shortening the process for now. I don't have any plans to making an auto-update feature since that could quickly become away to break ones setup.

Last edited:
Was trying to re-install AGH on RT-AX58U after a while, somehow half-year ago during the update it "broke" and I tried several times to remove/reinstall, but without success...

I've had trouble first with bycrpt, but could find the solution here, thanks, the only problem is when AGH is installed it says at the end:

Info: Writing AdGuardHome configuration...
Info: Checking AdGuardHome configuration...
Info: Starting AdGuardHome...
Checking AdGuardHome... dead.

And there is constant script loop trying to start AGH and getting it is still "dead"... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• setup-AGH-dead.jpg
    setup-AGH-dead.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 65
  • log-AGH-loop.jpg
    log-AGH-loop.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 63
Was trying to re-install AGH on RT-AX58U after a while, somehow half-year ago during the update it "broke" and I tried several times to remove/reinstall, but without success...

I've had trouble first with bycrpt, but could find the solution here, thanks, the only problem is when AGH is installed it says at the end:

And there is constant script loop trying to start AGH and getting it is still "dead"... Any suggestions?
Starting "ag" in "amtm" hangs AGH and I have to kill it to get to the amtm again :(

Really don't understand what happened as I had it running for more than 6 months and then suddenly... like this. Yes, there were few FW updates, but I cannot find similar case here, which is really strange... Before I had also Unbound, but I uninstalled it as I would rather have AGH. I do have (and I had it at the time it worked) also installed Diversion & Skynet.

Attachments

• ag-freeze-amtm.jpg
    ag-freeze-amtm.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 60

Okay. Make sure you completely uninstalled adguardhome. That means you are making sure you are not using any old configurations. It sounds like you need to go everything 100 percent new.

However, This is only my guess since all I have is the information you have shown here. It wouldn't hurt for you to make sure all of your other products are working correctly as well first. Such as AMTM, and your entware repository. The very first thing I recommend doing is running a complete uninstall of adguardhome using the uninstall option from the menu. Make sure you are not saving any backups especially backups of configurations that might have been already broken. After doing all of this, Make sure you go to AMTM menu and run option ep. Then make sure to choose option 1 + press enter for yes. This will update and upgrade your entware packages. Then you can proceed to reinstall adguardhome from the AMTM menu using the option ag. If you have any issued along this path, save screen shots of your SSH terminal and bring them here so they can be troubleshoot further.

Starting "ag" in "amtm" hangs AGH and I have to kill it to get to the amtm again :(

Really don't understand what happened as I had it running for more than 6 months and then suddenly... like this. Yes, there were few FW updates, but I cannot find similar case here, which is really strange... Before I had also Unbound, but I uninstalled it as I would rather have AGH. I do have (and I had it at the time it worked) also installed Diversion & Skynet.
It very well could be that you were running too much on the flash storage. I can only speculate what has happen because I have not had a failure like this happen yet. But I also don't run diversion along side adguardhome since it is unnecessary burden on the router. Maybe somewhere in your uninstalling and reinstalling of different packages, something broke. The best thing I could recommend doing is removing diversion and any of its products as well as removing of adguardhome. Start from scratch here with adguardhome to see if the issue goes away.

The fact that everything was working for 6 months shows that things were probably running great. It could very well be the brick wall limitations of the storage device being used.

To get inside adguardhome installer

In the standard ssh terminal Try,

killall -9 S99AdGuardHome && service restart_dnsmasq

Before attempting to access the ag installer from the amtm menu.

Once you gain access to adguardhome installer from the amtm menu. Make sure to completely uninstall it. Then exit out of the installer and AMTM before attempting to access the installer from amtm menu again. During this time. Run the ep update/upgrade option from amtm menu as previously discussed. At this point you can reuse the AMTM menu ag option to access the adguardhome installer for reinstallation.

Going forward I would try to make sure you are not trying to run diversion and adguardhome together since there is no need for the extra router strain. Skynet can be left alone.

During your screenshot endeavors, if possible scroll your terminal session upwards to capture any issues where files are downloaded and configured. Aside from the actual configuration steps you did.

Last edited:
Thank you SWOTR for your help, I really appreciate it.

Done so far:

1. run killall -9 S99AdGuardHome && service restart_dnsmasq (very handy, now ag is accessible!)
  2. choose in "ag" 2) for Uninstall - completed successfully
  3. exit out of installer and amtm
  4. starting amtm and ep, option 1) update/upgrade, 2 links visibly connected, but then completed without any error (amtm refreshed to main menu)
  5. disabled Diversion (option 1) disable Diversion)
  6. installed ag, Release version, all redirections through AGH, local caching through AGH
  7. AGH wont start after the setup, again got: Checking AdGuardHome... dead.
  8. log says:
    Sep 15 16:39:57 S99AdGuardHome[1803]: start_adguardhome took 0 second(s) to complete.
    Sep 15 16:39:57 S99AdGuardHome[1803]: Warning: AdGuardHome is dead; Monitor will start it!
    ... repeated many times per second
  9. I rebooted the router and went again from 1-9 with the same results :(
My questions:

- Are there any residual files (maybe) that I could remove before attempting to re-install?
- is USB maybe a problem (has 32 Gb free from 56 Gb), how could I check beside "health scan" that finish without any error?
- Would removing (uninstalling) instead of disabling Diversion made a difference?

Done so far:

1. run killall -9 S99AdGuardHome && service restart_dnsmasq (very handy, now ag is accessible!)
  4. starting amtm and ep, option 1) update/upgrade, 2 links visibly connected, but then completed without any error (amtm refreshed to main menu)
  6. installed ag, Release version, all redirections through AGH, local caching through AGH
  8. log says:
    Sep 15 16:39:57 S99AdGuardHome[1803]: start_adguardhome took 0 second(s) to complete.
    Sep 15 16:39:57 S99AdGuardHome[1803]: Warning: AdGuardHome is dead; Monitor will start it!
My questions:

- Are there any residual files (maybe) that I could remove before attempting to re-install?
- is USB maybe a problem (has 32 Gb free from 56 Gb), how could I check beside "health scan" that finish without any error?
- Would removing (uninstalling) instead of disabling Diversion made a difference?
Try running the uninstall process again.

You may have to remove diversion especially if it is preventing any other modifications to dnsmasq. It could be creating conflict because the scripts were not designed to be complimentary to each other.

Send a copy of your terminal screenshots for the install process of adguardhome. This may involve you having to do multiple screen shots as the install process progresses. It is important to make sure that all the essential files are being created in the modification and install of adguardhome. If they are not, then adguardhome will never start. On your router's wan page make sure you have a wan dns1 and wan dns2 set to either automatic, or something like quad9, Google, or cloudflare for example.

It is very hard to tell where the conflict is coming from. All we officially know is adguardhome is not starting. One of the possible outcomes that might be causing this is if dnsmasq is not letting go of port 53. This could be caused by a script holding up this process.

Done so far:

8. log says:
My questions:

When you get this line

AdGuardHome... dead.

Make sure you are staying inside the terminal until the process finishes. It should be returning to the installer menu at some point. If you are exiting the ssh session too soon then it might not be completing the configuration process 100 percent.

Tried twice... still the same, even after unistall of Diversion :(

Attachments

• 5-system-log.jpg
    5-system-log.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 4-installing-AGH-2.jpg
    4-installing-AGH-2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 3-installing-AGH-1.jpg
    3-installing-AGH-1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 2-uninstalled-AGH.jpg