What's new

AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI) cont.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I filter queries, AdGuard UI becomes unresponsive, the filtered query never loads, just a green circle. If I click on Dashboard it returns to the home screen without issues. Is it because of router limitations, running on RT-AC68U. Is there a log somewhere I can look at?

If I filter queries, AdGuard UI becomes unresponsive, the filtered query never loads, just a green circle. If I click on Dashboard it returns to the home screen without issues. Is it because of router limitations, running on RT-AC68U. Is there a log somewhere I can look at?
you have to manually refresh things using this button:
1659915617162.png

If your browser is having an issue doing that, then it might be an issue with that particular browser and AdGuardHome UI . you would be best to bring it as an issue to AdGuardHome then. The whole AdGuardHome UI is handled by the AdGuardHome binary and data files. Not the router.

ok thanks. When I toggle through filters router CPU & RAM go 100%. Issue seems to be only with few filters, not all.
1659915780726.png

ok thanks. When I toggle through filters router CPU & RAM go 100%. Issue seems to be only with few filters, not all.
View attachment 43369
Sounds to me like it is happening because it is downloading the filter and then processing it back into memory. This seems to be expected behavior if you are using a large amount of filters. Particularly since you are on an ARM platform with limited capabilities for concurrent processing of filters.

Sounds to me like it is happening because it is downloading the filter and then processing it back into memory. This seems to be expected behavior if you are using a large amount of filters. Particularly since you are on an ARM platform with limited capabilities for concurrent processing of filters.
Filters are set to download every 3 days, last download was yesterday.

Filters are set to download every 3 days, last download was yesterday.
whenever you retoggle it, then it redownloads. It also reprocesses the entries back into memory. Thus explaining the very peculiar behavior you are observing. Taking into account the fact that your ARM processor is probably doing all of this processing in one straight shot would explain the fact the CPU usage blowup.

whenever you retoggle it, then it redownloads. It also reprocesses the entries back into memory. Thus explaining the very peculiar behavior you are observing.
I've only enabled the AdAway Default Blocklist. If it re downloads, shouldn't the time stamp change? Or re downloading is different from update? Why does it re download when you are only filtering the query logs?
1659916762832.png

I've only enabled the AdAway Default Blocklist. If it re downloads, shouldn't the time stamp change? Or re downloading is different from update?
View attachment 43370
Well if you are not seeing the "time stamp" change after reenabling, then it is not redownloading. However it is probably processing those entries back into memory. Since it is an ARM processor, you are seeing the CPU blow-up in processing all those entries.

I'm still using unbound which is set up like this. Is there any benefit of using unbound? I want to bypass ISP DNS or any logging at ISP and also have no logging elsewhere, quad9 claims they don't log.
Maybe removing unbound will free up some resources.
forward-zone:#DoT
name: "."
forward-tls-upstream: yes
forward-addr: 9.9.9.9@853#dns.quad9.net

I'm still using unbound which is set up like this. Is there any benefit of using unbound? I want to bypass ISP DNS or any logging at ISP and also have no logging elsewhere, quad9 claims they don't log.
Maybe removing unbound will free up some resources.
That is your personal choice, all I can mention is why some users would use unbound with adguardhome. If you look at the strain on your router versus what adguardhome is already capable of doing on its own, some would contend that it is not worth running unbound and adguardhome in this instance. Others would say if you are doing it to be your own recursive DNS service, then yes it is beneficial. Either way, it is a toss up because you are gaining and losing in both instances. Now if you are using unbound just to use DNS over TLS then you are using up extra router resources for a pointless endeavor since adguardhome can already do the same in its own right.

e.g.

1659917992762.png

except using your server it would look like

tls://dns.quad9.net

all you would have to do is remove unbound from your adguardhome upstream list and replace it with

tls://dns.quad9.net.

Why waste extra router resources just to do this with unbound. It is pointless.

Last edited:
Now it might not be so pointless to use unbound DoT if you are using unbound to perform split DNS operations where you are sending certain specific zones to an encrypted server, but using the universal "." is the same as simply performing DoT on AdGuardHome instead of unbound.

Using unbound as own recursive DNS service which I was doing before I added quad9. In that instance, which DNS servers are used? Is the DNS traffic logged somewhere?

Using unbound as own recursive DNS service which I was doing before I added quad9. In that instance, which DNS servers are used? Is the DNS traffic logged somewhere?
depends on your setup.

The way I use AdGuardHome and unbound together, I only worry about the log of AdGuardHome. I don't particularly care how unbound logs things since I am not trying to use it for blocking request. I let AdGuardhome do the request blocking only.

If you have unbound setup where you are trying to keep track of its statistics, and you have some blocking and filtering being done by unbound itself, then you are better off only using unbound and skipping using adguardhome. Otherwise you would be creating a middle man which would be adguardhome. In that instance adguardhome would be enough to do all the necessary logging since it is acting as the gatekeeper of requests.

By logs I meant where are the DNS queries logged as in with which provider, like for example if I set up cloudflare as upstream in Adguard queries go through Cloudflare and get logged with them, when using unbound I believe it uses root DNS servers so where do the DNS queries get logged?

By logs I meant where are the DNS queries logged as in with which provider, like for example if I set up cloudflare as upstream in Adguard queries go through Cloudflare and get logged with them, when using unbound I believe it uses root DNS servers so where do the DNS queries get logged?
You need to setup query logging. It is not done by default because that log will fill up endlessly and rather fast. I would recommend reviewing unbound manpage for help with setting up such. You can use Google search to find it.

Sorry I think I am not being clear. I am not talking about local logging of queries. I am talking about at the DNS provider level.

Sorry I think I am not being clear. I am not talking about local logging of queries. I am talking about at the DNS provider level.
There is no log at the dns provider level. the only log you have official access to is queries being made to or by unbound that are then passed off to root servers. that would be through enabling query logging. However, if your listening addresses are not configured correctly, or your queries are being sent to

, you will not see any root server queries because you would not be acting recursively.

when using unbound I believe it uses root DNS servers so where do the DNS queries get logged?
The root servers and other authoritative name servers responsible for the specific individual domains you query have the option to log your queries and collect your data. It’s spread out over many servers instead of being consolidated in one provider’s logs like Cloudflare or Google, etc.

So as @dave14305 has mentioned it is at the control of the root server to log your ip and requests on queries. The big box providers do the same thing, however the difference here is that your ip and query information is logged at the one dns server used near you instead of being spread out among many servers.