What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin/AX86U with Wireguard support coming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EdCaffreyMS

Occasional Visitor
Morning!

I was looking at my VPN vendor's site today, and found they are now offering router support for WireGuard. I've been running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on my RT-AX86U since it was new, and it currently does not support WireGuard........ and am wondering if it will be coming out with support for WireGuard? Or, would it be best to revert to factory firmware to acquire the option?

I did see that there were several threads referencing "installing WireGuard" but seems to be installed via console/scripts? Something I am woefully unfamiliar with, and simply don't have the time right now to learn. Appreciate input/advice.

Morning!

I was looking at my VPN vendor's site today, and found they are now offering router support for WireGuard. I've been running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on my RT-AX86U since it was new, and it currently does not support WireGuard........ and am wondering if it will be coming out with support for WireGuard? Or, would it be best to revert to factory firmware to acquire the option?

I did see that there were several threads referencing "installing WireGuard" but seems to be installed via console/scripts? Something I am woefully unfamiliar with, and simply don't have the time right now to learn. Appreciate input/advice.

WireGuard is in the current Asuswrt BETA, so I would expect it in Asuswrt-Merlin eventually.

OE

Thanks! I went to that thread, and read most of it. I think I got a bit lost, because it seemed that the thread is referencing Asus firmware.... acquired via the Asus site/router support page, rather than Asuswrt-Merlin firmware that I typically get here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AX86U/.

Am I correct in assuming that the firmware (Version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 Beta Version 2022/08/09 67.97 MBytes) can be installed directly via "Firmware Upgrade" tab in the router UI? Even though I am currently running Asuswrt-Merlin Version : 386.7_2? I ask that beacuse when I change to Asuswrt-Merlin, it was that simple..... and I hope reverting will be too???
I think the light is finally coming on about Asus firmware becoming Asuswrt-Merlin. :) I know....took me long enough.

Am I correct in assuming that the firmware (Version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 Beta Version 2022/08/09 67.97 MBytes) can be installed directly via "Firmware Upgrade" tab in the router UI? Even though I am currently running Asuswrt-Merlin Version : 386.7_2?

Asuswrt-Merlin is mostly a variant of Asuswrt. Either can be installed from either webUI using the 'manual firmware update/upload' function. Always review the release notes for any special installation instructions.

Think of Asuswrt as a baked potato and Asuswrt-Merlin as that exact same baked potato with some but not all bad spots cut out plus salt, pepper, butter, and sour cream added on top.

OE

Last edited:
It does, actually.
Care to elaborate? Speaking from the viewpoint of a somewhat newbie, there's no obvious avenue for using WireGuard. If you're talking scripts or such, that's a bit over my head currently. ;)

Asuswrt-Merlin is mostly a variant of Asuswrt. Either can be installed from either webUI using the 'manual firmware update/upload' function. Always review the release notes for any special installation instructions.

Think of Asuswrt as a baked potato and Asuswrt-Merlin as that exact same baked potato with some but not all bad spots cut out plus salt, pepper, butter, and sour cream added on top.

OE
NOW THAT is the way things should be explained! ;):D That put a huge smile on my face!

Care to elaborate? Speaking from the viewpoint of a somewhat newbie, there's no obvious avenue for using WireGuard. If you're talking scripts or such, that's a bit over my head currently. ;)
So the following command line instructions are too daunting?

1662644849626.png

The OP is here:

and reference to the crude GUI

I've agonized over whether or not to reply,.....but after having looked through individuals' profiles and finding.... "You have landed on the friendliest and most helpful website for home network users on all the web. Please help keep it that way!".....
Yes, it is "too daunting" at my current experience/knowledge level, considering I've had only minimal experience with routers via command line, and bricked the only router I ever attempted using command line on. I was willing to put myself out there by asking, and clearly admitting my shortcomings in this area of knowledge... and get ridiculed for my honesty. Responses like that serve only to stifle learning, no matter the subject matter, or arena.
For you it's nothing, because you know and understand how, and have obviously had vast experience. But I'm sure you were not born with that knowledge, and had to put forth the time/effort necessary to learn. Eventually I would like to as well, but learning router control/input via command line is currently not a priority for me. Let me put it this way.... I can take a few piece of raw steel, a hammer, some heat, time, and elbow grease and produce this:

SanMaiFolder800.jpg

Can you reproduce it with that information and image? Or is it "too daunting"?
I've been doing it for 30+ years, and teaching for at least two decades..... and for me it's a pretty easy/simple process. But even so, I try never to forget that we all have/had to start at the beginning, and never ridicule others who genuinely are seeking information....no matter their current level of knowledge.

I've agonized over whether or not to reply,.....but after having looked through individuals' profiles and finding.... "You have landed on the friendliest and most helpful website for home network users on all the web. Please help keep it that way!".....
Yes, it is "too daunting" at my current experience/knowledge level, considering I've had only minimal experience with routers via command line, and bricked the only router I ever attempted using command line on. I was willing to put myself out there by asking, and clearly admitting my shortcomings in this area of knowledge... and get ridiculed for my honesty. Responses like that serve only to stifle learning, no matter the subject matter, or arena.
For you it's nothing, because you know and understand how, and have obviously had vast experience. But I'm sure you were not born with that knowledge, and had to put forth the time/effort necessary to learn. Eventually I would like to as well, but learning router control/input via command line is currently not a priority for me. Let me put it this way.... I can take a few piece of raw steel, a hammer, some heat, time, and elbow grease and produce this:

View attachment 44124
Can you reproduce it with that information and image? Or is it "too daunting"?
I've been doing it for 30+ years, and teaching for at least two decades..... and for me it's a pretty easy/simple process. But even so, I try never to forget that we all have/had to start at the beginning, and never ridicule others who genuinely are seeking information....no matter their current level of knowledge.
Well, given time I suppose I could reproduce your knife. I am several years away from being a Tool and Die maker and would have to get CFO approval to purchase some equipment but I could make it.
As for computers, I feel that many here are too quick with their instructions and assume what they are talking about is clear to everyone. It often is not (and I, too, am guilty of that at times). When I was developing software instructions for a large government organization we would give the software and instructions to Kim. Kim would follow the written instructions to the letter and would stop when something did not work. We were always surprised as we, who would auto compensate for our errors did not catch it.
Many of the Merlin Add-Ons have been incorporated into the AMTM menu and for the most part work well. While I have not tried the Wireguard script from what I have read and understand is that it is still a work in progress. I know I will get creamed for that last statement but I felt it needed to be said. Of course most things computer wise are works in progress.
I had used the Merlin Firmware for years. For many reasons I went back to Asus factory firmware and have not been disappointed. The beta for the AX86U/S works very well and the few bugs it has are not show stoppers.
I am not meaning to slam Merlin. I loaded it up the other day and it worked well but I feel I just do not need all the other whistles and bells now.

@EdCaffreyMS
No Worries Friend.
I too was hesitant at installing WG on my primary router, and found a simple WG installation for RPi, which is what I use currently.
Nice workmanship on your products, and to answer your question, I could not reproduce knife with information and image ;)

Last edited: