What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - Custom firmware for RT-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO USB UMTS 3G modem support?

Hi, Merlin

I installed on my new RT16 your firmware from this file:
RT-N16_3.0.0.3_157.12.trx

USB Optiono to activate my 3g USB umts modem to access internet is not working to set it up. Instead of this gives access to wan menu option.

3g USB modem worked ok on latest FW from asus: RT-N16_3.0.0.3_162.trx

Best Regqards

Hi, Merlin

I installed on my new RT16 your firmware from this file:
RT-N16_3.0.0.3_157.12.trx

USB Optiono to activate my 3g USB umts modem to access internet is not working to set it up. Instead of this gives access to wan menu option.

3g USB modem worked ok on latest FW from asus: RT-N16_3.0.0.3_162.trx

Best Regqards

You need to activate the Dual WAN option first.

After that when you land on the WAN page, you must select which WAN interface you wish to configure (WAN, USB or LAN), and then you will be able to configure your modem.

NO USB UMTS 3G modem support?

You need to activate the Dual WAN option first.

After that when you land on the WAN page, you must select which WAN interface you wish to configure (WAN, USB or LAN), and then you will be able to configure your modem.

Thanks RMerlin.

It is working now! ;). Worked as a failover to wan.

USB as primary wan did not connected to internet.

I just have a USB UTMS modem here no a cable connection.

Two more questions.

1) There is a FW from Asus released some days ago. When will be released your FW sinchronized with the Asus one?

2) Is there a link to see in detail the new features you added to Asus FW (ssh, etc)? I would like to test it.

Finally a GREAT THANK YOU! and Keep the good work please..

Regards, Francis

Thanks RMerlin.

It is working now! ;). Worked as a failover to wan.

USB as primary wan did not connected to internet.

I just have a USB UTMS modem here no a cable connection.

Two more questions.

1) There is a FW from Asus released some days ago. When will be released your FW sinchronized with the Asus one?
See this post.

2) Is there a link to see in detail the new features you added to Asus FW (ssh, etc)? I would like to test it.

The first post of this thread lists them, and the README included in the zip file lists changes over original firmware as well.

See this post.

The first post of this thread lists them, and the README included in the zip file lists changes over original firmware as well.

Thanks for your response.

I am looking for a detailed explanation of most of the options. I am not an expert and I would like to test some of those options. Is there any source of info explaining the firmware options? user manual is outdated (aginst current FW) and some of the options are not fully explained.

Thanks in advance, please advice

Francis

You'll have to do some investigation of your own, nearly everthings out there on the web, and also ask some questions here, if I can help I will and I'm sure other will too.

Not simple to implement I'm afraid......

That must be a limitation of the RT-N16, because the RT-N66U allows for multiple guest networks.

Well I'm not sure, as I haven't used the original Asus fw before, I don't understand why they would show screenshots on the N16 Help pages showing multiple networks, if its only for the N66U. You would think they would explain that its limited to one on the N16!

I really hope they add this in new firmwares, if its capable of doing it.

That's a functionality of Windows, where it will show UPNP devices that are on the network.

Well I guess there's no way to hide the device then..

Download inSSIDer. That tool will report actual signal strength.

Ok, I installed it on laptop.

I'm assuming I should be looking at the RSSI field.

With the laptop ~10m away, and the router set to 1mW and 75mW, the reading remained at -65.

So I guess it didn't change the power output? :p

OP updated - 3.0.0.3.162.13 was published on Git.

This release is still labeled as experimental, as I have no RT-N16 to test it. The power setting for instance doesn't seem to work.

OP updated - 3.0.0.3.162.13 was published on Git.

This release is still labeled as experimental, as I have no RT-N16 to test it. The power setting for instance doesn't seem to work.

RMerlin, Thanks for the release!!. Wil test it now.

Can someone run the following command through telnet and give me the output?

wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense

From Toastman / jyavenard build 0501.2:
wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
78 (0x4e)
wl: wl driver adapter not found

Where can I find temp-tabel to this ?

RT-N16

That would be the same output from temp sensor !

Can someone run the following command through telnet and give me the output?

62 (0x3e)

Btw, on Network map screen (Internet status buttom), I am getting a "Detect connection again..." message but I have internet on my usb wlan.

Regards,

62 (0x3e)

Btw, on Network map screen (Internet status buttom), I am getting a "Detect connection again..." message but I have internet on my usb wlan.

Regards,

AFAIK, the Networkmap only reports the status of the primary Internet connection.

Good work on your build! Seems stable - though I haven´t tested everything!
The tx power, however, doesn´t have any effect...

Anyway - I want to share my experience with different versions of RT-N16 firmware, to see if someone else has noticed this:
ALL firmwares (ASUS, Tomato, Oleg etc) have a very weak WIFI signal.
HOWEVER - the ASUS 1.0.1.2 has a very STRONG signal!!!
I have gone back and forth between different FW´s and it´s always the same - everytime I go back to 1.0.1.2 the WIFI gets nice and strong again! What has happened since 1.0.1.2? Something can´t be right here... It´s a HUGE difference in both real world experience and with inSSIDer...

Good work on your build! Seems stable - though I haven´t tested everything!
The tx power, however, doesn´t have any effect...

Anyway - I want to share my experience with different versions of RT-N16 firmware, to see if someone else has noticed this:
ALL firmwares (ASUS, Tomato, Oleg etc) have a very weak WIFI signal.
HOWEVER - the ASUS 1.0.1.2 has a very STRONG signal!!!
I have gone back and forth between different FW´s and it´s always the same - everytime I go back to 1.0.1.2 the WIFI gets nice and strong again! What has happened since 1.0.1.2? Something can´t be right here... It´s a HUGE difference in both real world experience and with inSSIDer...

RMerlin, Thanks for the build. I also report it as stable.

R16 have been connected thru a 3G USB modem connection. for normal use.

Next days I will be testing it in another place to check how strong is the signal. I bought this router for that reason. I will share the results.

Please Keep this good job.

Best Regards.

Francis

Next days I will be testing it in another place to check how strong is the signal. I bought this router for that reason. I will share the results.

Please Keep this good job.

Best Regards.

Francis
If you have the time, could you download ASUS original firmware 1.0.1.2 and compare wifi-strength with current firmwares. It can´t just be me - the wifi in 1.0.1.2 is a lot stronger and therefore longer!!! (+10-15 dB RSSI measured with InSSIDer).
If we could get this wifi specs combined with the newer firmwares modern options and stability, it would be really nice...

Download link:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N16&p=11&s=2

Last edited:
A quick update to my post regarding roaming on page 3.

By disabling the 'Hardware Accelerator' on the LAN-> Switch Control page of the GUI, roaming between access points now works.

My post on page 3 is edited for anyone searching for solutions to the same problem I was having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!