What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - Custom firmware for RT-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus version162 have bug

I test my N-16 .162version found if set the Wireless Timer can't auto start it, i also ask Asus tech support they also say have this problem in .162, i dont know N-66 user have this problem or not? :confused:

I test my N-16 .162version found if set the Wireless Timer can't auto start it, i also ask Asus tech support they also say have this problem in .162, i dont know N-66 user have this problem or not? :confused:

Radio not starting based on schedule is a known issue in all recent Asuswrt release. Asus are aware of it.

@RMerlin

Do you continue to support custom build to RT-N16 ?
Or did you take a brake to port RT-AC66U ?

octoput

@RMerlin

Do you continue to support custom build to RT-N16 ?
Or did you take a brake to port RT-AC66U ?

octoput

I don't have an RT-N16 to test anything, so RT-N16 releases will always be less frequent and labeled as experimental.

Okey thats fine with me. Just ensure you don't relese it anymore.

octopus

New RT-N16 release based on 3.0.0.3.178.15. As usual, this release is labelled as experimental, since I don't own an RT-N16 to test it myself.

Power settings are gone, since they don't seem to work properly on the RT-N16.

New RT-N16 release based on 3.0.0.3.178.15. As usual, this release is labelled as experimental, since I don't own an RT-N16 to test it myself.

Power settings are gone, since they don't seem to work properly on the RT-N16.

Thanks Brother!!:D

Good work on your build! Seems stable - though I haven´t tested everything!
The tx power, however, doesn´t have any effect...

Anyway - I want to share my experience with different versions of RT-N16 firmware, to see if someone else has noticed this:
ALL firmwares (ASUS, Tomato, Oleg etc) have a very weak WIFI signal.
HOWEVER - the ASUS 1.0.1.2 has a very STRONG signal!!!
I have gone back and forth between different FW´s and it´s always the same - everytime I go back to 1.0.1.2 the WIFI gets nice and strong again! What has happened since 1.0.1.2? Something can´t be right here... It´s a HUGE difference in both real world experience and with inSSIDer...

Does anyone have the same experience that ASUS firmware 1.0.1.2 provides the strongest signal on the RT-N16?

Thanks.

Dual Wan is default !!!
But looks like i cannot disable it :( try to apply nothing happens.
Any clue on what's on?

BTW, can you please give more detail on how to use optware for this release ? i would love to have those tools or some other addons like it running on usb drive.

it would be awsome

Dual Wan is default !!!
But looks like i cannot disable it :( try to apply nothing happens.
Any clue on what's on?

BTW, can you please give more detail on how to use optware for this release ? i would love to have those tools or some other addons like it running on usb drive.

it would be awsome

Go to WAN -> Dual WAN tab, and set "Dual Wan" to "Off".

For optware, I posted a (now a bit outdated) howto on my website a few months ago.

Guess I'll completely remove Dual WAN from the next RT-N16 build then. Too many issues related to it, and I cannot debug it since I don't have an RT-N16.

Guess I'll completely remove Dual WAN from the next RT-N16 build then. Too many issues related to it, and I cannot debug it since I don't have an RT-N16.
I am having no issues with the dual WAN feature. I disabled it as I don't have two WAN's and it disabled fine for me. No problems at all. As a matter of fact, I have been looking at USB Verizon 4G broadband adapters. This would ensure a working Internet connection for my wife so she can connect to work in the event Cox's Internet service goes down. Although I am using a RT-N66U...

I am having no issues with the dual WAN feature. I disabled it as I don't have two WAN's and it disabled fine for me. No problems at all. As a matter of fact, I have been looking at USB Verizon 4G broadband adapters. This would ensure a working Internet connection for my wife so she can connect to work in the event Cox's Internet service goes down. Although I am using a RT-N66U...

Different beast most likely. I intend to keep it enabled for the N66U and AC66U, I will only disable it for the N16.

User Shell Scripts

Hey Merlin,

First I would like to thank you for all the work you have done on the Asus Firmware. It works great for me (RT-N16). I am trying to write a script for accessing a transparent bridged DSL modem ahead of my router. I don't fully understand how to use the "User Shell Scripts" that you have included in the lastest firmware. Could you further explain their use and possibly include an example ? I have briefly searched the forum but could not find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Merlin,

First I would like to thank you for all the work you have done on the Asus Firmware. It works great for me (RT-N16). I am trying to write a script for accessing a transparent bridged DSL modem ahead of my router. I don't fully understand how to use the "User Shell Scripts" that you have included in the lastest firmware. Could you further explain their use and possibly include an example ? I have briefly searched the forum but could not find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

First, make sure you enabled and formatted the JFFS partition as explained in the README file.

After that, you will need to create a file called "firewall-start" (make sure there is NO extension, i.e. that it's named firewall-start.txt), with something like this as content:

#!/bin/sh
iptables xyz

(the iptables xyz would be the actual commands needed to make your modem's interface accessible - follow instructions posted on the DD-WRT FAQ or here in this post

You will need some basic Linux knowledge for this. Simplest way is to put the file on a USB disk, plug it to the router, then telnet in to copy the file to its final location: /jffs/scripts/firewall-start. For example:

cp /mnt/sda1/firewall-start /jffs/scripts/
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Or, if you are skilled in the use of 'vi', use it to create the file over telnet.

Wow, that was easy!! Works great. I was using vlan1 instead of eth0.
I appreciate your quick reply to a newbie.

Last edited:
Tim has created a sub-forum dedicated to Asuswrt-Merlin, so we can have separate threads, making it far more easy for people to look for info or jump in conversations. Please start new individual threads, I will lock down this old thread in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!