What's new

Asuswrt merlin QOS - Class Net Control Packets first in the list and the biggest size.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arkoth

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I don't understand the QOS... with asuswrt merlin
Maybe you can help me please ?

My old router (RT-AC68U) is with the old asuswrt merlin firmware 384.9 (I know I can update it, but a friend just tell me that he has the same problem as mine with RT-AC86U and the last firmware).

My settings :
1.png

Customize :
2.png

The Classification :
3.png

So, I see " Net Control Packets " before my settings. This class isn't in the "customize" section.
What is this ? How it works ?

As you can see, this is the first in the list and 2.10Gb in download/ 87.51Mb in upload, it seams that's not normal, isn't it ?

Can you help me to understand this class " Net Control Packets " and what can I do to have a good QOS please ?

Thank you for your help

Hello,

I don't understand the QOS... with asuswrt merlin
Maybe you can help me please ?

My old router (RT-AC68U) is with the old asuswrt merlin firmware 384.9 (I know I can update it, but a friend just tell me that he has the same problem as mine with RT-AC86U and the last firmware).

My settings :
View attachment 39573

Customize :
View attachment 39574

The Classification :
View attachment 39575

So, I see " Net Control Packets " before my settings. This class isn't in the "customize" section.
What is this ? How it works ?

As you can see, this is the first in the list and 2.10Gb in download/ 87.51Mb in upload, it seams that's not normal, isn't it ?

Can you help me to understand this class " Net Control Packets " and what can I do to have a good QOS please ?

Thank you for your help

Warning: I am self educated on this topic & by no means an expert however, from my personal experiences using QoS...
-Net Control Packets will always have priority & be ontop (Think of it as necessary router overhead) without this data... it's all Broken.
-But from your graphs... your Net Control Packet use seems rather Excessive.
Couple questions,
What Kind of ISP Connection are you working with (Is it an asymmetrical one, meaning The Download & Upload speeds are quite different ex. 150Mbps down 15Mbps up)?

Yes, I understand as you that this is an obligatory class, if this " Net Control Packet " is for https/ssl.
But why this value for me and my friend is so high ?

I dont think it's FlexQOS (requires ASUSWRT-Merlin version 384.15 or higher) : https://github.com/dave14305/FlexQoS
=> as I've said I'm on the old version 384.9, I don't think FlexQOS is inside this version ?

Yes it's asymmetric adsl connexion (ADSL G.DMT), screenshot from my modem - billion bipac 7800dxl :
adsl.png

I would like to tell that I download with Gog Galaxy (cyberpunk update) for information with my beautiful internet connexion which is very old as you can see ( 4.99Mb / 0.8 Mb ) :eek:
It's the most traffic on my LAN and WAN in my house for the moment (I limit the download in gog to 150kb because the QOS doesn't work very well and my children or my wife don't be ok if the ping go in bufferbloat because of the problem with the QOS).
I don't know if the traffic with gog galaxy is always in ssl.

But there's a problem :
If it's ssl traffic, why it doesn't detect downloads to the " File Transfering " class or " Others " class when it's for big data ( > 500kb by example) ?
=> All classes will be ok, but not the first one because it will kill the QOS.

For my friend (routeur RT-AC86U), he has asymmetric adsl g.dmt connexion too for the moment (he will have fiber in some days, lucky guy, but not me o_O).
I don't understand why you ask for this, can you explain please if there is a problem with asymmetric and QOS ?
Yesterday he downloads a film and he sees that all the traffic this morning was in the " Net Control Packet " class.

I would like to thank you for this information about ssl and your help to solve my problem.

But for me, there is a problem if ssl traffic will always affect into this " Net Control Packet ", isn't it ?
=> most of traffic is encrypted now in ssl or other protocol (https / ftps / etc...).

Thank you for your help to help to solve my problem please.

Ok, I will try this script this week-end and come back to say to you if it's ok or not.
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I understand as you that this is an obligatory class, if this " Net Control Packet " is for https/ssl.
But why this value for me and my friend is so high ?

I dont think it's FlexQOS (requires ASUSWRT-Merlin version 384.15 or higher) : https://github.com/dave14305/FlexQoS
=> as I've said I'm on the old version 384.9, I don't think FlexQOS is inside this version ?

Yes it's asymmetric adsl connexion (ADSL G.DMT), screenshot from my modem - billion bipac 7800dxl :
View attachment 39579

I would like to tell that I download with Gog Galaxy (cyberpunk update) for information with my beautiful internet connexion which is very old as you can see ( 4.99Mb / 0.8 Mb ) :eek:
It's the most traffic on my LAN and WAN in my house for the moment (I limit the download in gog to 150kb because the QOS doesn't work very well and my children or my wife don't be ok if the ping go in bufferbloat because of the problem with the QOS).
I don't know if the traffic with gog galaxy is always in ssl.

But there's a problem :
If it's ssl traffic, why it doesn't detect downloads to the " File Transfering " class or " Others " class when it's for big data ( > 500kb by example) ?
=> All classes will be ok, but not the first one because it will kill the QOS.

For my friend (routeur RT-AC86U), he has asymmetric adsl g.dmt connexion too for the moment (he will have fiber in some days, lucky guy, but not me o_O).
I don't understand why you ask for this, can you explain please if there is a problem with asymmetric and QOS ?
Yesterday he downloads a film and he sees that all the traffic this morning was in the " Net Control Packet " class.

I would like to thank you for this information about ssl and your help to solve my problem.

But for me, there is a problem if ssl traffic will always affect into this " Net Control Packet ", isn't it ?
=> most of traffic is encrypted now in ssl or other protocol (https / ftps / etc...).

Thank you for your help to help to solve my problem please.
You Did NOT understand what Dave said previously.
Dave meant: The Original QoS had certain problems & issues.
Installing FlexQoS will fix them.
Note: I also use FlexQoS on an RT-AC68U & it works...
I can't simply give you my settings as I am on an asymmetric 300Mbps/30Mbps cable connection myself.
But I assure you... it does work properly.
And I'm certainly NOT seeing Large RED Chunks of Net Control packets within my PIE Graph

Ok, so if the script FreshJR_QOS doesn't work for me, I will update the firmware to the last asuswrt-merlin version and test FlexQoS.
Thanks for your help and understand my mistaking.

also don't forget tuning bandwidth settings by manual. use dslreports and waveform to speed test and result must be A+

FlexQoS.png

SOLVED !

Thank you so much for your help !!!

I upgrade firmware to the latest asuwrt-merlin (386.4 for RT-AC68U)
Reboot router
Factory reset
Setting ISP and admin account
Speedtest without QOS
QoS in adaptive mode : Take the worst value (try with 85%, 90% and 95%)
=> same as before, all in "Net Control Packets"
So, I activate JFFS and install FlexQoS
=> restart QoS when the script call it
=> reboot router

=> set priority order as the documentation said
=> set customize with WAN packet overhead to PPoE LLC (40 - ATM)
=> reboot router

=> Solved now, the QoS works now as you can see - FlexQoS is very useful !

I don't have the A+, I don't think with my poor connexion that I can, but I will try later, it works very well now; I will continue to try to set manual download/upload value
For the moment, I reach C for the best ... that's better F ;)
youtube with gog galaxy download in same time is ok.

Cgrade.png

Thank you for your help ! very happy ;)

I don't have the A+, I don't think with my poor connexion that I can, but I will try later, it works very well now; I will continue to try to set manual download/upload value
For the moment, I reach C for the best ... that's better F ;)
youtube with gog galaxy download in same time is ok.
Adaptive QoS really doesn't work well with connections under about 5Mbps.
I used to be stuck with a slow ADSL connection, and could never tune QoS well enough to be truly effective.

To fix your download bloat, you may need to sacrifice 1 to 1.5 Mbps of your top speed (the 95% rule doesn't work well for slower connections). There isn't much that can be done about the upload though.