What's new

[asuswrt-merlin][RT-AC5300] ssid not appearing for wifi kit only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How far away from the router is the air conditioner?

Do you have a link to the user manuals? What is the model number?

unfortunately I dont links to user manual for wifi and i dont think there is any.
just instruction on how to CONNECT to it

Asus Router is nealry 22 feet away from wifi kit
Tp link that i am using for tests is placed beside ASUS , so they are at same place but only tp links appears.

I've run out of ideas. Have you asked the manufacturer about the WiFi requirements (e.g. bands, channels, etc.)?

I've run out of ideas. Have you asked the manufacturer about the WiFi requirements (e.g. bands, channels, etc.)?

Thankx for your help. I will see what i can find out but as far as i know , wifi kit is chinese and i am pretty sure if i ask them about band , they will send me some weried band from aliexpress.

Guess i may have to live with tplink only for this device.

But if you can think of anything else, do post plz

Use a different (easy only 8 letters) SSID and password for 2.4G, disable smartconnect for this, set to channel 1 with 20MHz, disable beamforming and airtimefairness and MU-Mimo.
Test with open network as well, only short time just for this test.
Are other devices seeing your 2.4G Wifi (with now different SSID)?

Last edited:
go to wireless preference and change the preamble to short instead of long.

upload_2019-5-3_3-29-30.png

I will try both suggestions in evening and update you guys. Thankx
a device that only supports short preamble will not see the SSID for a device that is configured in Long preamble type. the device would have to be switched to long + short or to Long only ---- or the router has to be switch to support short and not long. it would be nice if your router could run with both short +long.

The information in that pop-up box is incorrect. It's another one of those factually incorrect pieces of information that gets parroted around the internet. Preamble has nothing to do with CRC or error checking, it's the number of bits sent prior to the PLCP header. The CRC is at the end of the PLCP header and is always 16 bits. Short preamble support is optional for 802.11b devices but mandatory for 802.11g & newer.

Correct I am implying the device he is using is newer and has long preamble disabled being it is a legacy feature

I tired all the following combos , but still ssids wont show up

for all tests that i made , these are common options
  1. smartconnect disabled
  2. airtimefairness disabled
  3. MU-Mimo disabled
  4. Universal Beamforming disabled

Test-1
wireless mode auto
Channel bandwidth 20 MHz
Control channel 1
permeable long

Test-2
wireless mode auto
Channel bandwidth 20 MHz
Control channel 1
permeable short

Test-3
wireless mode auto
Channel bandwidth 20 MHz
Control channel Auto
permeable long
Explicit Beamforming Off

Test-4

Tested with open network as well , still same

did you change SSID to an easy one, different to 5G?

And you could try to setup a guest network, will they "see" that?

Don't test with Control Channel on 'Auto'. Test instead with additional channels 6 and 11 too.

As I have previously suggested and Grisu also mentions, test using the Guest Network with a different SSID and password. 8 characters, no spaces, no special characters, no punctuation, and no smiley faces either. For the password, use at least 16 characters with the same restrictions.

Don't test with Control Channel on 'Auto'. Test instead with additional channels 6 and 11 too.
He's already stated that he's done that in post #7.

As I have previously suggested and Grisu also mentions, test using the Guest Network with a different SSID and password. 8 characters, no spaces, no special characters, no punctuation, and no smiley faces either.
Again, he's done that already, post #3.

For the password, use at least 16 characters with the same restrictions.
Password is irrelevant at this point as he cannot see to SSID to connect to it.

He's already stated that he's done that in post #7.

Again, he's done that already, post #3.

Password is irrelevant at this point as he cannot see to SSID to connect to it.

He keeps going back and forth on what he's testing (post 31). He needs to be more consistent and testing in a reproducible way. ;)

As for the password? You have a good point, but I can't rule anything out right now. :)

I would also recommend that the changes be applied, the router is rebooted and then waiting at least 10 minutes before re-testing too. :)

He keeps going back and forth on what he's testing (post 31). He needs to be more consistent and testing in a reproducible way. ;)
Not really. Apart from post #31 all of the previous tests were him doing exactly what we asked him to do. Post #31 was just a test of the preamble length, everything else had already been tested. If there's a problem with the testing methodology it's our fault not his. :p

upload_2019-5-3_20-57-37.png

this is what i would try on wireless page. - (you can test the preamble between long or short)
upload_2019-5-3_20-59-54.png

these are what i would put inside the wireless screen

note (do reboots in between any other changes you make)

View attachment 17415
this is what i would try on wireless page. - (you can test the preamble between long or short)
View attachment 17416
these are what i would put inside the wireless screen

note (do reboots in between any other changes you make)
If this works and you feel the need that you need to adjust another setting- you can always adjust it. note - do a reboot in between each additional adjustment onward- wait for things to stabilize.

Note putting the channel on 6 is a pretty good idea because most people have their channels on auto - so they will always auto adjust before trying to clash most of the time. and channel 6 gives you leeway above and below.

These are my 2.4 GHZ settings for RT-AC5300 and TP Link for comparison

picture share

I notice on here that your DTIM on the AP is set to 1 vs on your router defaults to 3- maybe try adjusting that to 1 as well with your test.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!