What's new

[asuswrt-merlin][RT-AC5300] ssid not appearing for wifi kit only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

View attachment 17415
this is what i would try on wireless page. - (you can test the preamble between long or short)
View attachment 17416
these are what i would put inside the wireless screen

note (do reboots in between any other changes you make)
Dear *,
Sorry for late reply.
See below image for changes i made as per suggestion

I made these changes by following these guide lines
  1. Afert changes done in each field, press Apply
  2. changed 2.4 ssid to simple 8 letter word, now 2.4 ssid is entirely different than 5 ghz ssids , spelling wise
  3. After all above changes, did a reboot, wait 10 min before trying ssid search
  4. prayed a little too
But still , no SSID appearing

But doing a reboot for every change is MAD, as it takes long time to reboot and for possible combinations, it will take weeks

Dear *,
Sorry for late reply.
See below image for changes i made as per suggestion

I made these changes by following these guide lines
  1. Afert changes done in each field, press Apply
  2. changed 2.4 ssid to simple 8 letter word, now 2.4 ssid is entirely different than 5 ghz ssids , spelling wise
  3. After all above changes, did a reboot, wait 10 min before trying ssid search
  4. prayed a little too
But still , no SSID appearing

But doing a reboot for every change is MAD, as it takes long time to reboot and for possible combinations, it will take weeks

Tested above settings with permeable long too , reboot , wait 5 min
still nothing

i thought all i can think of- you may just be better using your AP to connect it.

see below image for wifi kit appearing in wifi survey

Wonder if this is similar to other IOT devices I've seen - the device shows up first as an AP, where you connect via App (or if it has a WebUI) - once connected to the device, one then uses it's UI to attach to the AP SSID (and credentials), it'll reboot, and disable the IOT AP from there, and it should be good to go.

Wonder if this is similar to other IOT devices I've seen - the device shows up first as an AP, where you connect via App (or if it has a WebUI) - once connected to the device, one then uses it's UI to attach to the AP SSID (and credentials), it'll reboot, and disable the IOT AP from there, and it should be good to go.
Yes I believe that's what he's doing. But the problem is that the device can't see the Asus' SSID to complete the final step, whereas it can see other SSID's.

Yes I believe that's what he's doing. But the problem is that the device can't see the Asus' SSID to complete the final step, whereas it can see other SSID's.

There's a quirk in the newer Broadcom wl driver that was introduced in 384 if I recall - many of these IOT devices use Espressif ESP32 (or ESP8266) WiFi system on chips that have had issues - I think it was Airtime Fairness, but it might have been one of the other professional settings in the 2.4GHz page. Whatever that setting was, it was a default out of the box, and had to be specifically turned off for the ESP's to see and attach to the AP

(note, this isn't specific to Asus I believe, if other OEM's pulled in the same driver for their firmware, but not all expose/implement the full Broadcom feature set)

I pinged @RMerlin about this a couple of months back - I don't have a Asus router handy at the moment*, but it was a setting that pretty much fixed every question from forum members in a similar situation...

* I'm busy working on a QCA platform presently with OpenWRT

There's a quirk in the newer Broadcom wl driver that was introduced in 384 if I recall - many of these IOT devices use Espressif ESP32 (or ESP8266) WiFi system on chips that have had issues - I think it was Airtime Fairness, but it might have been one of the other professional settings in the 2.4GHz page. Whatever that setting was, it was a default out of the box, and had to be specifically turned off for the ESP's to see and attach to the AP
Yes, he went through all of those settings earlier in the thread but it still wasn't visible. Very strange.

i borrowed a friend s Huawei HG8546M to test. its ssid appears as well . placed it side by side with asus

i borrowed a friend s Huawei HG8546M to test. its ssid appears as well . placed it side by side with asus

I wonder if the ASUS modulation scheme/setting is a factor...

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!