What's new

Asuswrt RT-AC/X Routers Support Time Machine & IPSec?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

garycnew

The Time Machine FAQ is out of date so it doesn't include the newer models. IPSec requires an HND model router, that's RT-AC86U and newer (so the FAQ looks about right). So anything that supports IPSec also supports Time Machine. But check the specs on the model's specific product page just in case there's an anomaly.

The Time Machine FAQ is out of date so it doesn't include the newer models. IPSec requires an HND model router, that's RT-AC86U and newer (so the FAQ looks about right). So anything that supports IPSec also supports Time Machine. But check the specs on the model's specific product page just in case there's an anomaly.
Hi @ColinTaylor

I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to make sure that Asus hadn't depreciated the Time Machine feature in the RT-AX series.

I suppose it's safe to assume that the same logic holds true for @RMerlin firmware?

Thanks for another assist.

Respectfully,

Gary

P.S. Don't tell L&LD, but I think it's the IPSec server feature that's going to make me bite the upgrade bullet. I figure if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well upgrade hardware, too.

P.P.S. The loadbalancing Tor Relays through Nginx on Asuswrt-Merlin is working well. Thanks, again, for the assist on that one.

Correct. That said, I don't know how reliable Time Machine support on the router is.
Asuswrt's Time Machine support is fairly decent. However, I'd recommend making a backup of your backup as it will eventually fail.

I really need more RAM on my primary router. The RT-AX models (i.e., RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U, GT-AX11000) with 1GB RAM would be ideal. However, I'm not sure I want to pay that much for a router. Although, Asus Routers seem to keep their resell value pretty well. Time to put the bots to work on a new target.
Glad to hear you got it working.
I couldn't have done it without you. The topic is still in its infancy within the tor-relays mailing-list and gaining traction. Thanks, again.

I really need more RAM on my primary router.

More RAM installed is because more RAM is also needed in HND routers. For example, RT-AC86U with 512MB RAM has almost the same RAM available after boot as RT-AC68U (or your RT-AC66U B1) with 256MB RAM. The two routers can run approximately the same custom scripts, minus ones with newer kernel requirement. RT-AX86U is the cheapest model with 1GB RAM. Some tricks on ARMv7 won't work on ARMv8, like IP Traffic is not available.

More RAM installed is because more RAM is also needed in HND routers. For example, RT-AC86U with 512MB RAM has almost the same RAM available after boot as RT-AC68U (or your RT-AC66U B1) with 256MB RAM.
@Tech9 I appreciate you bringing such an important fact to my attention. However, I couldn't help but chuckle reading this portion of your response. I must have made an impression on you with my RT-AC66U_B1. Do you have photographic memory or do track Asuswrt-Merlin Users' hardware setups? ;)
The two routers can run approximately the same custom scripts, minus ones with newer kernel requirement. RT-AX86U is the cheapest model with 1GB RAM.
Would the GT-AX11000 provide more available memory after boot? I need more RAM for my Nginx loadbalancer and I'd prefer to keep it on the Primary Router.
Some tricks on ARMv7 won't work on ARMv8, like IP Traffic is not available.
I'm not following with regard to your "IP Traffic is not available" comment. Would you mind elaborating?

On a tangential note... I've always wondered if the @Tech9 pseudonym is a firearm, hip-hop, or other reference? :)

As always... I appreciate your insight.

Respectfully,

Gary

Last edited:
Do you have photographic memory or do track Asuswrt-Merlin Users' hardware setups?

I do have very good memory indeed. It sometimes causes problems to users with inconsistent posts. I also remember you posting something in another language, так что не удивляйся.

Would the GT-AX11000 provide more available memory after boot?

Yes, the hardware is similar to AX86U/AX88U with one additional 5GHz radio. My AX88U is in surgery recovery, so I can give you the number a bit later. The 2x extra available cores don't take extra RAM.

I'm not following with regard to your "IP Traffic is not available" comment.

IP Traffic is available in Asuswrt-Merlin for ARMv7 routers with older kernel. It's not compatible with the new kernel - not available. Also, if you have VLAN's (as more advanced user) on AC68U variant, the same on HND is a challenge.

On a tangential note... I've always wondered if the @Tech9 pseudonym is a firearm, hip-hop, or other reference?

No. I was watching Tech 49 repairing a drone in "Oblivion". I figured I'm about 40 numbers ahead of this guy in hardware repairs. :)

I do have very good memory indeed. It sometimes causes problems to users with inconsistent posts. I also remember you posting something in another language, так что не удивляйся.
ROTFLMAO! :D It seems I did make an impression. Now, the question is whether you had to translate that statement as I had to originally and once again?
Yes, the hardware is similar to AX86U/AX88U with one additional 5GHz radio. My AX88U is in surgery recovery, so I can give you the number a bit later. The 2x extra available cores don't take extra RAM.
Now, I'm very interested. How did you mod your RT-AX88U?
IP Traffic is available in Asuswrt-Merlin for ARMv7 routers with older kernel. It's not compatible with the new kernel - not available. Also, if you have VLAN's (as more advanced user) on AC68U variant, the same on HND is a challenge.
Hmm... I'll have to research this further. Presently, I'm using a couple of kernel modules to assist with transparent loadbalancing.

Respectfully,

Gary

It seems I did make an impression.

You did, because most new members here mostly follow reboot and reset links. Мне транслятор не нужен.

Now, I'm very interested. How did you mod your RT-AX88U?

I'm just adding this one to my routers collection, but it had failed 2.4GHz radio. It's working now, but I have to do it properly. Asus (or Arcadyan to be exact) used bad RoHS solder in some routers and combined with just enough passive cooling the solder balls crack from thermal stress, causing various hardware failures. Most common is 2.4GHz radio. It happens to be close to hot VRM's on some boards. I can spot the issue without touching the boards - on a thermal image camera. It gives me some initial clues what could have gone wrong.

No. I was watching Tech 49 repairing a drone in "Oblivion". I figured I'm about 40 numbers ahead of this guy in hardware repairs. :)
I think I'm just about right there with you. :)

My first job out of college, my co-works bestowed the pseudonym gnutech (Gary GNU) upon me, which I used for years; until, I decided that using my given name was more marketable for business purposes.

I still like to think @Tech9 is a firearm or hip-hop reference. :D

I still like to think @Tech9 is a firearm

It is, sometimes. I like to fire at people who don't know what they are talking about, but rush to give advice to others. What I do in my home lab is unrelated to my business though. It's a hobby. If you notice, most of my routers are known or interesting models or they can run combinations of OpenWRT, DD-WRT, FreshTomato, Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin. This helps following development trends.

Last edited:
You did, because most new members here mostly follow reboot and reset links. Мне транслятор не нужен.
Хороший! You've given me new prospective with regard to the @Tech9 alias.
I'm just adding this one to my routers collection, but it had failed 2.4GHz radio. It's working now, but I have to do it properly. Asus (or Arcadyan to be exact) used bad RoHS solder in some routers and combined with just enough passive cooling the solder balls crack from thermal stress, causing various hardware failures. Most common is 2.4GHz radio. It happens to be close to hot VRM's on some boards. I can spot the issue without touching the boards - on a thermal image camera. It gives me some initial clues what could have gone wrong.
Mad Skills! That explains the profile image. You wouldn't happen to know whether there is memory upgrade potential with that board?

Last edited:
It is, sometimes. I like to fire at people who don't know what they are talking about, but rush to give advice to others.
I've noticed. You've been a difficult read from the start.
What I do in my home lab is unrelated to my business though. It's a hobby.
You're just all sorts of an interesting enigma.

You wouldn't happen to know whether there is memory upgrade potential in that board?

There is and an attempt with RT-AC86U 1GB RAM was made by another SNB member. Hack with hot air station, not really upgrade. I'm a hardware guy though and since it's a hobby I don't have much time to spend on research in unknown territories. HND routers have encrypted CFE, mem size info is there. I believe it's possible, but by Tech3. I'm not there yet. I work with Asus routers for less than a year. My possible next project is converting RT-AX58U into RT-AX82U. I'm not Russian, but there are good information sources in Russian. I need to collect some pieces first.

There is and an attempt with RT-AC86U 1GB RAM was made by another SNB member. Hack with hot air station, not really upgrade. I'm a hardware guy though and since it's a hobby I don't have much time to spend on research in unknown territories. HND routers have encrypted CFE, mem size info is there. I believe it's possible, but by Tech3. I'm not there yet. I work with Asus routers for less than a year.
I totally understand. It was just a cursory do you happen to know type of question. Sounds like we'll have to facilitate the meeting of Tech3 and Tech9. We'll just have to keep the wife clear of the blaster. :)
My possible next project is converting RT-AX58U into RT-AX82U.
Nice! You'll have to let us know how it goes if/when it happens.
I'm not Russian, but there are good information sources in Russian. I need to collect some pieces first.
I get it. That's why I have Google Translate hot-linked. Does that mean you're proficient with written only or verbal as well?

I've got to call it a night.

Much Respect,

gnutech ;)

@Tech9

Which kernel are the HND routers running? I should be able to find an answer to my module question with the kernel version information.

Thanks, again!

Respectfully,

Gary

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!