What's new

attached USB drive access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Old Rocker

New Around Here
Hi,
I have an Asus rt-ax88u router and I just added a USB SSD to use as a network drive. Under "Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" I can only connect from my Windows 11 computer or Android phone if "Allow guest login" is toggled to ON. The router web screen warns with a notification that it is a security concern.

With that radio switch OFF, at the bottom of that screen is a section for "users" and drive/folder access. I created a user and password, but my computer says "Access Is Denied". Similar with my Android phone. As far as the drive/folder section goes, since when I allow guest access all works properly with read/write access, I assume that part is OK.

I googled this and find lots of discussions, but no solutions other then some SMB versions may be out of date. I assume the drive is only accessible within my network, but still I would not want my guests to have access to my files.

Is this a common issue because there is a problem OR because I am doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!