What's new

Automate turning on WiFi ECO Mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keefa

New Around Here
Greetings,

I have been using the Asus router mobile app for a long time now almost exclusively for enabling the WiFi ECO Mode switch each time I reboot my router (AC68U). Recently, I've been wondering whether or not it would be possible to somehow create a script which would automate flipping the option on and thus reduce one annoyance from my life. Unfortunately, I haven't got the foggiest idea on how one would accomplish such a task. Perhaps someone here would know?

Thank you all in advance, regardless of the answer.

Sincerely, Keefa

1) You can do it from GUI - Wireless, Professional, bottom of the page, slider to Power Save.

2) Your router's performance will be severely impacted in both usable range and speed - reduced Tx power and radios limited to single stream. Not sure why you may want to do that, but... your choice.

Need or feature?
I believe it's related to European power-related regulatory, like you can see in most motherboard BIOS. I don't know anything else beyond that, as it's not something I ever researched.

It's available in Asus App as Eco Mode and in GUI as Power Save on my North American routers.

It's available in Asus App as Eco Mode and in GUI as Power Save on my North American routers.
There's an additional EU-related setting in the code related to power management.

Well, I certainly did not expect it to be quite this complex. Thank you again for all the answers, chaps!

There's an additional EU-related setting in the code related to power management.

Ah, okay... the message in logs for non-EU region. I've seen it, but I don't know what it does in EU. Interested how the router will find out if it's in Switzerland or Italy during boot process before getting an IP address from the ISP. Switzerland is in the heart of Europe, but not EU member.

Interested how the router will find out if it's in Switzerland or Italy during boot process before getting an IP address from the ISP.
Wireless regulatory region code in the bootloader. From the erp_monitor source code:

Code:
        // step2. tcode in EE / WE / UK / EU
        char *tcode = nvram_safe_get("territory_code");
        if (strstr(tcode, "EE") == NULL && strstr(tcode, "WE") == NULL
                && strstr(tcode, "UK") == NULL && strstr(tcode, "EU") == NULL
#if defined(RTAX89U)
            && !strstr(tcode, "IL")
#endif
           ) {

//              ERP_DBG("The model isn't under EU SKU!\n");
                return;
        }

What does the EU code mean in Asus routers - Europe or European Union?

@thelonelycoder may check his router's code. This may give us some answers.
Probably means Europe, not EU. My main router has territory_code=EU/01 which suggests there are more than one EU categories.

My AC86U router (puchased & in use in EU countries):

Code:
territory_code=WE/02

“WE” for Western Europe?

Greetings,

I have been using the Asus router mobile app for a long time now almost exclusively for enabling the WiFi ECO Mode switch each time I reboot my router (AC68U). Recently, I've been wondering whether or not it would be possible to somehow create a script which would automate flipping the option on and thus reduce one annoyance from my life. Unfortunately, I haven't got the foggiest idea on how one would accomplish such a task. Perhaps someone here would know?

Thank you all in advance, regardless of the answer.

Sincerely, Keefa
Tested it a bit and made a cron to change it on and off at different times during the day.
Not 100% on how well it works, Testing it at the moment.
I have them in a file "services-start" in jffs/scripts
(You need to have: Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs = yes in Administration - System also a SSH client and that also need to be enabled on that page)
if you do not have that file it can be created and then it needs a chmod.

In your SSH client of choice: (if you do not have the file)
Code:
touch /jffs/scripts/services-start

chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/services-start

edit that file and paste the following: (you can easily modify the times as you see fit, here is a link to help a bit: https://crontab.guru/)
Code:
#!/bin/sh (<---first line in that file)

##Change to/from Wireless ECO Mode
cru a ECOon "0 23 * * * nvram set guard_mode=1 && nvram commit && service restart_wireless" #ECO_Mode_ON
cru a ECOoff "0 17 * * * nvram set guard_mode=0 && nvram commit && service restart_wireless" #ECO_Mode_OFF
save and exit the file and reboot the router

Hope this can help you

Last edited:
Tested it a bit and made a cron to change it on and off at different times during the day.
(You need to have: Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs = yes in Administration - System also a SSH client and that also need to be enabled on that page)

Code:

edit that file and paste the following: (you can easily modify the times as you see fit, here is a link to help a bit: https://crontab.guru/)
Code:
cru a ECOon "0 23 * * * nvram set guard_mode=1 && nvram commit && service restart_wireless" #ECO_Mode_ON
cru a ECOoff "0 17 * * * nvram set guard_mode=0 && nvram commit && service restart_wireless" #ECO_Mode_OFF

Hope this can help you
seems to work pretty well!

Code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh (<---first line in that file)

Hope this can help you

This is (and you are) absolutely brilliant! Thanks so much for looking into it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!