What's new

Automatic service start on voxel firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgiunktode

Occasional Visitor
First of all, thanks to voxel for providing his powerful firmware.

I need to automatically start a service (S99debian) at router boot.
So I :
1) Put the script S99debian in /opt/etc/init.d/S99debian
2) Gave execution permission
3) Linked in /etc/rc.d (lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Jan 13 10:02 S99debian -> ../../opt/etc/init.d/S99debian)

But it doesn't seem to start: obviously I'm missing something.

Of course it works if I launch it manually with:
/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian start

What am I missing?

Thanks

I need to automatically start a service (S99debian) at router boot.
So I :
1) Put the script S99debian in /opt/etc/init.d/S99debian
2) Gave execution permission
3) Linked in /etc/rc.d (lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Jan 13 10:02 S99debian -> ../../opt/etc/init.d/S99debian)

But it doesn't seem to start: obviously I'm missing something.

Step 3. I would suggest to use chroot-ed Debian in conjunction with minimal Entware installation. I.e. first you should install Entware to your USB disk (formatted as ext-4). I.e. download https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz archive, unpack it from the root of your USB drive. You should get two directories: autorun and entware.

autorun/scripts contains script which is executed every time after reboot router or attach this USB to router. And it runs all init scripts from /opt/etc/init.d (where /opt is de-facto symlinks to your entware directory on USB). So if you place after all these actions your S99debian to /opt/etc/init.d it should be started automatically.

P.S. make sure that you are not using /opt as internal flash memory of your router.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!