What's new

"Available Network Folders" in USB Storage (Advanced Settings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jra505

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

In the USB Storage (Advanced Settings) page, there is a section which implies that my attached harddrive has been assigned the letter U:\ and as such I was expecting it to appear in Windows Explorer on my PC as such. But no - the only way I seem to be able to access the drive from Windows is by opening it up in Network Locations.

It's not exactly a big deal, but it would be quite nice if I could access the drive from U:\

Anyone else had success (or difficulty?) doing it this way?

Thanks,

jra505

I agree it is a bit of a confusing thing by Netgear, but that folder name indicates which folder on the USB stick is being shared as that particular share.

Folder name U:\ thus means that the entire USB disk is shared. But if you want, you could for instance also only share optware, and then the name would be U:\optware.

I guess they choose U: as an abreviation for USB.
But perhaps it would have been more logical if they had named it "Shared folder" and shown it has USB1:\ (or USB1:\optware) or something like that.
(also wonder what happens if you have 2 USB sticks inserted, or multiple partitions on the USB stick. Would it then also show V: in the folder browser?)

If you want to map it on Windows as U:, you are ofcourse free to do so... But the router cannot automatically do this...