What's new

Awful performance with AX200, great performance with macbook pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is the actual version number of your installed driver?

Also, did you make any tweaks to the card setting on the Device Manager? If you did, revert them back to the default settings - those settings shouldn't require any change. Resist the urge to enable that "Throughput booster" setting for instance - keep that disabled.

Driver version is: 21.80.2.1

I haven't tweaked at all those settings

What is the signal strength seen by Ax200 i.e. RSSI and PHY? How about these values in close proximity to the Ax92U e.g. 5ft or so. Basically, I'd check physical link strength/speed and if it can reach full performance in close proximity but not at your testing spot with weak signal/PHY, then whatever reaching the antenna is weaker than the MacBook, which may be indeed antenna position or potential intrinsic limitation of the Ax200.

If even at full PHY, signal strength, your internet speed test is low while Mac is achieving much higher performance, it may be a totally different cause.

in my room:
PHY is 802.11ax and RSSI is -74, Signal quality: 70

Close to the router, I get strong performances:

PHY is 802.11ax RSSI is -31, Signal quality: 99

Attached is a screenshot of a speedtest close to the router with my ax200

With an ethernet cable, I get 950mbps btw

Attachments

• chrome_1LRB7NXiRN.png
    chrome_1LRB7NXiRN.png
    214 KB · Views: 217
Can you also post the WirelessConnectionInfo (taken while the speedtest is running) like you did previously.

in my room:
PHY is 802.11ax and RSSI is -74, Signal quality: 70

Close to the router, I get strong performances:

PHY is 802.11ax RSSI is -31, Signal quality: 99

Attached is a screenshot of a speedtest close to the router with my ax200

With an ethernet cable, I get 950mbps btw

It looks like ax200 is 2x2 MIMO. In which case, your PHY should be 1200 at max and that speed you got close to router is over 50 percent efficiency so it is expected range of function i.e. the adapter is function.

The low speed in your room is also expected because you have only -74 RSSI. That’s considered weak signal.

So I think the adapter is functioning normally. From here if I were you I’d question why is RANGE of ax200 weaker than MacBook.

Is it intric limitation of the adapter?
Can positioning antenna make it better?

But to me it sounds like the adapter just does not provide as much range as MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Driver version is: 21.80.2.1

I haven't tweaked at all those settings

Ok, same as mine. With 160 MHz channels, my AX200 is able to saturate my NAS's 1 Gbps connection when reading from it. At 80 MHz, I was getting around 700 Mbps if my memory is correct.

Make sure you don't have software on your PC affecting your throughput (firewall or security suite that might limit your wireless throughput).

That's why "the latest version" doesn't mean much. In this particular case, only 24 hours later, it's no longer accurate, and this new driver contains stability fixes for users with an Apple access point, so it can make a critical difference :)

Few updates:
-I tried an AC9260 on my deskmini, I get the same disapointing performances.

-I tried the GC-WB1733D-I which is also an AC9260 on a desktop PC, performances are a lot better(270mbps).

So my guess is there is a gain loss on the MHF4 to RP-SMA cables on my deskmini, are these cables known to generate a loss if they are too long ? (mine are 30cm long)

https://ibb.co/2dKczFt
https://ibb.co/StNLY7X