What's new

AX12/AX8 Gui

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xOperator

New Around Here
I have been trying to find this, but does anyone have any screenshots of the GUI for the new AX8/12 routers?

Only thing I can find is that you have to use the App for initial setup and firmware update.

Is the GUI like the previous Netgear GUIs?

I wonder, have they improved the responsiveness of the web UI with the AX12 router?
It is the one area which I have not figured out why it is so slow. Furthermore, it makes me wonder what is getting in the way of making it faster, for example, many years ago on routers such as the WRT54GL, firmware such as tomato were able to load setting pages nearly instantly, and that was on an extremely slow SOC that could not even handle a 75mbit WAN connection, but it was able to handle making a web UI to load extremely quickly.

I wonder, have they improved the responsiveness of the web UI with the AX12 router?
It is the one area which I have not figured out why it is so slow. Furthermore, it makes me wonder what is getting in the way of making it faster, for example, many years ago on routers such as the WRT54GL, firmware such as tomato were able to load setting pages nearly instantly, and that was on an extremely slow SOC that could not even handle a 75mbit WAN connection, but it was able to handle making a web UI to load extremely quickly.

I just bought the AX8 and I think its responsive enough. One aggrivation though is that if you don't touch it VERY often (like 2mins maybe?) then it logs you out. when you're doing troubleshooting and have it open in another tab and hop back to it, its annoying to have to look up (or copypaste) your password and log back in.

From what little I've seen, I'm really liking what Netgear has done so far with the GUI. The black and white is perfect. These are Nighthawk routers after all, lol.

That said, I'd rather what little time they spend tweaking the firmware to be spent on patching security vulnerabilities first, then working on bug fixes, next implementing new features... but NOT beautifying the GUI.

I'm a software engineer by trade. One of the first coding standards I was taught was: Do NOT fix what is not broken.

From what little I've seen, I'm really liking what Netgear has done so far with the GUI. The black and white is perfect. These are Nighthawk routers after all, lol.

That said, I'd rather what little time they spend tweaking the firmware to be spent on patching security vulnerabilities first, then working on bug fixes, next implementing new features... but NOT beautifying the GUI.

I'm a software engineer by trade. One of the first coding standards I was taught was: Do NOT fix what is not broken.

I actually just left Asus ROG AC5300 router and the beautifying was a major annoyance. They made a "game centric" gui that didnt match any of their documentation or anything tech support said when you contacted them. Just seems like it would be trivial to allow you to select which interface to use but they didn't. (and don't let me get started on their attempt at mesh!)

I wish they would change that also, in the past (before they moved to the Netgear genie UI), you could adjust the auto logout settings where the value was in minutes and it would accept 4 digit numbers.

For the R7800 it's easy to disable the timeout with a one-liner from the command shell.
I might add this possibility to my next add-on GUI for the R7800/R9000/R8900 routers.
Maybe a similar trick might work on the AX series as well?

I'm away from keyboard, but if you remind me in a couple of weeks I can send you a code example.
This has been a feature of NETGEAR's GUI forever. There is no ability to change the auto logout timeout that I know if. Drives me crazy, too.

This has been a feature of NETGEAR's GUI forever. There is no ability to change the auto logout timeout that I know if. Drives me crazy, too.
This is my code that I used for the Netgear R7800:
Code:
while true; do echo "`cat /tmp/AUTH_login_time | awk '{ print $1+10 }'`" >/tmp/AUTH_login_time; sleep 5;done & echo $!