What's new

AX3000v2 vs AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkLondon

Occasional Visitor
I have a 600mbs fibre connection to my modem. Have opted to get an Asus router as they support wireguard on some models. I don't really need the wifi as I have a Linksys MX5300 mesh system set up (total of 5 nodes, of the 4 remote nodes, 3 are wired: CAT 5e,7,and 8). I need a new router as I want to run vpn on the router to cover all devices and not possible on MX5300. So I need a router to put between my modem and the Linksys. I have gone through the entire list of 21 routers that Asus says suport ASUSWRT and what they call FUSION VPN. After going through specs of these 21, in the listing for VPN client and server protocols on each one, I found that 5 only had FUSION, 1 had WIREGUARD VPN (client and server) but not FUSION (RT-AX88U), 5 had neither of these, only the usual OpenVPN, etc., and finally10 had both. Thinking its better to already have Wireguard as one of the VPN options was the safest way to go, plus might as well get one with FUSION, I narrowed it down to those 10 and those under £300,leaving the following: ZENwifi series: XT9 and XT8, RT series: AXE7800, AX86U Pro and AX86U, plus finallyTUF series: AX5400 and AX3000v2.

Its great to get faster WiFi in the area where the Asus will be located, but I am more interested in the speed and other capabilities, in particular also for gaming - my son's gaming PC would be connected via a wired connection. As a result I had decided to go with the AX3000v2 as this seemed to offer the gaming and VPN functions I wanted and was the cheapest option at £105. Until reading some of the posts on here that indicated some problems with this model. Can anyone with experience give me any advice on this regarding the different models. The AX86U Pro is 2.5x the cost, the AX86U about double.
Thanks, Mark

What do you mean by AX-GT6000 v2?

I have 2 GT-AX6000 but didn't know that there's a v1 or v2? Please elaborate.

The GT-AX6000 has the same processor as the AX-86U Pro so it's a bargain for its price right now

EDIT: Nevermind, I had a brain fart, didn't realize it's the AX-3000 you were talking about I dunno why I got blinded and saw AX6000

You may be disappointed with Asus and Wireguard. Has been reported that Wireguard use cuts the download bandwidth, AKA speed. As you have a WIFI system now you could build your own router with Wireguard as some here have done or buy just a router with no WIFI. And you may be better off with OpenVPN.

The biggest difference between entry stuff like the AX3000 v2 and AX86U variants is MIMO config/CPU power.

The Ax3000v2 is a single SoC with 2x2 + 2x2 config and 160mhz capability on 5G (I don't know if 160mhz works in UK)
The AX86U variants are 4x4 (160mhz capable) + 3x3 config with an A53 main processor/more RAM. Stronger for CPU oriented tasks.

As a single point unit, the higher MIMO units will penetrate to a higher degree from a general perspective, though there are outliers..

It depends on clients and how well they can grab single from the main broadcast. Most high end ASUS routers use 4x4 MIMO Broadcom configs in radio, with the niche AX89X supporting 8x8 5G via a first gen AX Qualcomm platform.

If you can wire backhaul, I would recommend two units across a home/condo/appt, it's generally better for coverage, especially if you have a higher tier ISP plan and want max speed for clients throughout a home. I'm taking 500mbps+ ISP speed at every corner of the location. The lower MIMO config matters less in this config assuming sub 2-2.5k SQFT

I don't know if theres benefits to having a faster CPU/RAM for Wiregaurd. It can potentially be a trade off.

I would recommend trying both if theres a valid return policy.

Last edited:
The biggest difference between entry stuff like the AX3000 v2 and AX86U variants is MIMO config/CPU power.

The Ax3000v2 is a single SoC with 2x2 + 2x2 config and 160mhz capability on 5G (I don't know if 160mhz works in UK)
The AX86U variants are 4x4 (160mhz capable) + 3x3 config with an A53 main processor/more RAM. Stronger for CPU oriented tasks.

As a single point unit, the higher MIMO units will penetrate to a higher degree from a general perspective, though there are outliers..

It depends on clients and how well they can grab single from the main broadcast. Most high end ASUS routers use 4x4 MIMO Broadcom configs in radio, with the niche AX89X supporting 8x8 5G via a first gen AX Qualcomm platform.

If you can wire backhaul, I would recommend two units across a home/condo/appt, it's generally better for coverage, especially if you have a higher tier ISP plan and want max speed for clients throughout a home. I'm taking 500mbps+ ISP speed at every corner of the location. The lower MIMO config matters less in this config assuming sub 2-2.5k SQFT

I don't know if theres benefits to having a faster CPU/RAM for Wiregaurd. It can potentially be a trade off.

I would recommend trying both if theres a valid return policy.
Did you fail to read the OP was not going to use the WIFI?

Did you fail to read the OP was not going to use the WIFI?

Its great to get faster WiFi in the area where the Asus will be located, but I am more interested in the speed and other capabilities, in particular also for gaming.

Regardless, the A53 based models should be more stable/higher speed for VPN use/QoS, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!