What's new

AX58U or AX56U, is there a big difference?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vstevenphan

Occasional Visitor
I purchased AX86U. However, it cost me $250 and I felt it's not too necessary for my need. I mean I don't want to spend a lot of that amount of money. I intend to sell it (luckily someone is willing to buy it at $250) and purchased a lower model, maybe AX56U or AX58U. I don't know if there is a big difference between those two models.
AX58U: 147 USD
AX56U: 108 USD
in my country (the cheapest vendor)

RT-AX58U supports 160MHZ channels (AX56U supports 80MHz channels only), has three cores (AX56U has four), and one USB 3.1 (AX56 additionally has USB 2.0). If you are not planning to use 160MHz channels, AX56 is perfectly fine, I personally use it and would say that it is a stable and decent router for its price.

RT-AX58U supports 160MHZ channels (AX56U supports 80MHz channels only), has three cores (AX56U has four), and one USB 3.1 (AX56 additionally has USB 2.0). If you are not planning to use 160MHz channels, AX56 is perfectly fine, I personally use it and would say that it is a stable and decent router for its price.
How about the wifi coverage?

I cannot directly compare them, but I don't think there will be much difference. But note that looks like AX58U has problems with speed in certain conditions (see the chart on www.smallnetbuilder.com); however, we have no information on whether AX56U has the same issue.
What I've noticed (and that is not often mentioned when people talk about coverage) is that, for example, in the EU you have different available power levels for different channels (for example, see this chart). In my case, on channel 100 the range is great and much better than on channel 36, for example, can't complain.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!