What's new

Windows Home Server, Yay or nay?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bart

Regular Contributor
In my case, it's nay! Not the way it functions right now anyway. The culprit in my opinion is the Drive Extender feature, which is a feature especially designed to make the life of the WHS user easier. Too bad it really kills performance once you start using more than one drive (which is *very* likely in a server) and large files (also very likely if you're using it as a media server).

I must say, the ONLY review on WHS filled with some criticism at least, I've read on this site. Everywhere else all reviewers were raving about the product. Not rightfully so, if you ask me. I ended up not liking WHS for other reasons than Tim, but I agree with his points also.

This was my experience... (it's a copy/paste of something I've posted on another site)

I wanted to setup a 'video jukebox'. Basically ripping all my 700 or so DVD's I have onto harddisk and stream them from a server to a media extender.

I had a choice between Linux, a regular NAS (which also run Linux, but is FAR easier to set up) and Windows. A couple of months ago, WHS was released, and it sounded like the product I had been waiting for all that time. I read a lot of reviews about it, and they all were raving about this '(one of the) best products MS had ever released'. NONE mentioned the big iussue I stumbled upon. An issue which I believe is unpardonable because everybody will bump into it sooner or later.

In my case it was sooner.

I started to save up (this took a couple of months), and I was overjoyed when I finally had all the necessary components to build my own WHS in-house. These were a recent G33 chipset motherboard with an Intel dual core chip (E2200) on it, 2GB RAM (RAM is cheap these days), and 3 harddisks: one Samsung 250 GB drive as the C: and 2 Samsung 750 GB drives as the Storage drives.

I setup the server and everything went smooth. Then I started to copy all my rips (which I had mostly done beforehand and stored on my desktop pc) to the server. I got some serious good speeds (after having installed the most recent drivers of my onboard NIC's - VERY important!), 70+ MB/s. Not bad, certainly better than a regular NAS. I was happy, but because this still was going to take a while, I let this run overnight. I got up in the morning, only to find an error message: disk full, continue, abort?

Disk full?? How could this be? I still has more than 600 GB of free space left on the server according to the WHS console. I clicked continue and the copying process happily continued. Strange. Why did this error message pop up in the first place then? After a quite a few movies were copied, another strange thing happened: my network speed dropped immensely. And I DO mean immensely. Something from 60-70 MB/s to less than 1 MB/s! Just like that! I had no idea what was going on, but then I started to do my homework, and came across some online articles which explained it to me. I was also the victim of Drive Extender, or at least of how the technology works.

During the copy, the 250 GB (OS disk) disk filled up. Once it was almost full, Drive Extender kicked in, effectively almost annihilating my transfer speeds. Needless to say, I was and am not happy about this!

But that's simply how it works: if you want to add a file to your server, you copy it to a share. In the background, this file gets copied to the C: drive (OS drive). After the copy is finished, Drive Extender kicks in and starts moving the file to its place in the storage pool. Once this Drive Extender kicks in, you'll see immense speed drops on the server, so that's not good. It's true Drive Extender usually waits until the copy is finished until it kicks in, unless the landing zone runs out of space: then it kicks in immediately, and brings the network speed to an absolute crawl with it. This is what I saw was happening to my server...

The best was still to come though. I had copied a lot of files to the \\server\videos share. I also copied a lot of them to the \\server\music share, because I knew there would be duplicates. That way, I intended to remove the duplicates by hand from the music share and copy the rest to the videos share. And that's where's the sh*t really started to hit the fan. Every movie I tried to copy took on average between TEN and FIFTEEN minutes. If you know I have a few hundred movies to copy like that, that is simply not workable. This was only because Drive Extender forced the movie to be copied from the drive pool back to the OS drive, and then back again to where it needed to be. A process, which on a 'regular' server, RAID or no raid, would take mere seconds!

If I had known this beforehand I would have NEVER started with WHS. The nature of what I intend to do with my server dictates that I'll ALWAYS be working with large files, so this will ALWAYS be an issue for me. This is simply not acceptable. I wished I had gone with a regular Windows 2003 setup which at least offer the possibility to use regular RAID arrays, and not this Drive Extender nonsense. Or I could have gone with Ubuntu Linux server combined with Samba, which would have cost me absolutely nothing, with the exception of a bit of time because the learning curve is more steep and I'm no Linux guru.

As said before, everybody will run into this, if not only for the way they market WHS. They say: "Oh, you can use a small older drive for your OS drive, 80 GB is sufficient." WRONG! Since it's the 'landing zone' for any copied file, AND it's used as some sort of 'buffer disk/workspace' for every file in the storage pool, this should be the fastest drive in your system! If anything, pick a WD raptor! But it still would end up being dog slog compared to a regular RAID array when working with large files.

Some have advised to use a drive of at least the same speed and size for the OS drive is being used for the storage drives. In my case this would be a 750 Samsung drive. Only to be used for a 20 GB OS partition and a landing zone for copied files? I'm sorry , but that's asking too much! A 750 GB drive simply as a buffer only to overcome the downsides of Drive Extender? That's ridiculous! If you ask me, this is a serious design flaw!

I wished they had given me the option to setup WHS with a regular RAID array, and leave this drive extender nonsense where it should be: uninstalled. But they didn't. A true shame, because WHS also has it's merits: it's really very easy to use, the backup facility is awesome eg. But it also has a few quirks, Drive Extender being the worst of them, but also eg. the lack of an onboard FTP server. Because of the nature of how WHS's file system works, (storage pool, with no drive letters), this simply does not work with regular FTP programs. Instead of coming up with a fix for that, Microsoft simply decided to give FTP the boot entirely. I mean come on! Which server does not support FTP out of the box? I know I can install one myself, but that's not the point. The point is when I'd do that, it would probably muck up the entire file system in no time, because FTP'ing would jump over the filesystem's head, creating havock.
But still, I believe FTP is such a standard protocol, it's like buying a car without wheels. It simply should be there, no question about it.

So what am I going to do now? Honestly: I don't know. Try 2003 server? Maybe... Try Linux? Tssss.... I can always use FreeNAS, or NASLite... maybe even OpenFiler or Open-E, those are supposed to be pretty good... Or maybe sell the whole server PC and buy a regular NAS instead. Synology has a very nice model coming up... I don't know anymore, I'm truly in limbo here.

But most of all I feel cheated. Cheated by Microsoft, but most of all but all those 'reviewers' who never discovered this issue, or,if they had, decided to leave it out of their review. From all I read, and I've read dozens of reviews, WHS was the best product since sliced bread. Not ONE word of comment (except maybe the review of Tim Higgins from SmallNetBuilder.com, but he didn't like it for other reasons - lack of protocols, no print server, no backup of the server, ...he received a lot of bad comments by all those MS fanboys because of it as well!) about how bad Drive Extender can be...

In short: WHS is a good OS... as long as you only install ONE drive in your system. Once you install a second drive and Drive Extender kicks in and takes over, you're toast.

Last edited:
So, I would have to agree that WHS's Drive Extender is a big hog. I happen to be running mine on pieced together hardware, but in my case that includes an Areca RAID controller.

Setup RAID, then install WHS, get the features of WHS without the issues of DE.

Oh well, what did we expect from a 1.0 Microsoft product ?

The beta test for the next WHS update starts soon (http://connect.microsoft.com).

:D

I can't say I've used WHS, though I thought about it a lot. Right now, I've got a free copy of Server 2008 (Thanks MS), and a raid array for my home server. And it's a good thing. I gave up the backup features, but I gained direct control of the OS. What has always scared me about Drive Extender (And any other unique partitioning) has been that if the OS gets hosed, can I take the drive, and access the data from a different computer with a USB adapter. I also like how I can run applications on the server in the background. It's a computer on 24x7, I want to take advantage of that.

Tam.

WHS has a long way to go before I find it an appealing product. There's not much for me that it does which I can't already do on a simlpe XP Pro box acting as a server.

I think that Windows Home Server was rushed out before anyone really had the chance to look at it. I don't remember reading, or hearing anything about it, until it was made available to buy.

I've used a lot of storage ideas, more so recently, and I would say FreeNAS is the best for something that just works. OpenFiler has too many options for home/SOHO NAS builds.

I've used 2003 server as a file server for several years now, which works well enough, but it's not exactly feasible for Home/SOHO. Windows 2003 Storage server has quite a few really nice perks; however it's very expensive as well.

I've been looking into an all around Media Server, which will let me play anything I want, however I keep coming up short with ideas. I've used Jinzora the most, however it's still lacking in a few things. Over the weekend I plan to build myself a PVR (MythTV, Free software to make your own TiVo) out of a spare computer I've abused lately for storage testing.

My understanding, MythTV will let me record and play TV, as well as play all of my DVD's I've backed up to .avi. This to me is worth its weight in gold. If anyone's interested I can write something on setup/config and if it works like I think it will.

-Brandon

I have to agree with a lot of what's been said here. I dabbled with the demo version of WHS and I couldn't even get the software to install on any of my 3 PCs, so I didn't go any further. I was looking at doing exactly what you were doing.

I finally just re-purposed an old windows XP system to do it. This gives me the ability to do more than just media sharing (do all the ripping and archiving right from the server instead of just storage). Maintenance is a wash because I have to install updates once a month. I'm running a 1.6GHz AMD Athlon, 1.5 GB RAM, and 4x 250GB hard drives in a RAID 0+1 and a 20GB IDE OS drive.

Heh. I have to admit that I've been so blinded with the 'I-have-to-have-a-server'-idea, that I overlooked the possibility of indeed simply using a dedicated Windows XP box for the task.

This might not be a bad idea. All WHS functions that matter are installable in XP (like backup software, media server,...). I could even install an FTP server much easier than I could ever do on WHS...

mmmm...

Heh. I have to admit that I've been so blinded with the 'I-have-to-have-a-server'-idea, that I overlooked the possibility of indeed simply using a dedicated Windows XP box for the task.

This might not be a bad idea. All WHS functions that matter are installable in XP (like backup software, media server,...). I could even install an FTP server much easier than I could ever do on WHS...

mmmm...

i know using XP probably isn't the "best" solution, but it's certainly good enough for me. setting up file sharing was a lot easier, and though it lacks some of the pizazz of the pre-built NAS's, like the Synology DS-508, it's less expensive, and functional for what I need.

Good info

Good to read this feedback on WHS. I bought it and set it up on a pieced together old computer based on the reviews. I'm currently awaiting the PowerPack 1 release that should fix the data corruption bug that seems to have plagued the OS. I haven't experienced the problems with Drive Extender that are posted here so I will have to take a hard look at it to see if I am losing performance across the network. So far, I have not been hit by the data corruption bug (thankfully) and the backup has been working flawlessly on two laptops and two desktops.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can consolidate my music library, my wife's music library, and my kids' music libraries into one with four different iPods being able to access the appropriate songs, I'd appreciate hearing anything you might suggest. This is the one nut I haven't been able to crack yet, and am not sure I will be able to considering that Apple are control freaks regarding DRMd music.

Thanks,

Mike

I haven't used Windows Home Server, but you've written such a convincing article AGAINST it that I doubt I'll ever try. Good information. We do need to hear the negative as well as the positive about stuff. Thanks!

No worries, glad to be of help. If I can prevent even one person from having the same frustrating experience as I had, this lengthy post was worth it. :)

I think that Windows Home Server was rushed out before anyone really had the chance to look at it. I don't remember reading, or hearing anything about it, until it was made available to buy.

I've used a lot of storage ideas, more so recently, and I would say FreeNAS is the best for something that just works. OpenFiler has too many options for home/SOHO NAS builds.

I've used 2003 server as a file server for several years now, which works well enough, but it's not exactly feasible for Home/SOHO. Windows 2003 Storage server has quite a few really nice perks; however it's very expensive as well.

I've been looking into an all around Media Server, which will let me play anything I want, however I keep coming up short with ideas. I've used Jinzora the most, however it's still lacking in a few things. Over the weekend I plan to build myself a PVR (MythTV, Free software to make your own TiVo) out of a spare computer I've abused lately for storage testing.

My understanding, MythTV will let me record and play TV, as well as play all of my DVD's I've backed up to .avi. This to me is worth its weight in gold. If anyone's interested I can write something on setup/config and if it works like I think it will.

-Brandon

Which software would that be? That works well with MythTV

Although I was kind of excited to hear the name 'home server', I never really payed much attention to it. Add on top of that the major data corruption bug and I've pretty much ignored it completely.

Now that SP1 is out and 'fixes' it, remind me again what WHS is supposed to do for me?

I know it's supposed to bring certain things like (gasp!) network drives to home users, but really - what's WHS supposed to really do that I can't do for myself on an XP or 2K3 based box?

I think I'll stand by my 2k3/2k8 servers, WHS really doesn't do anything you can't do with FreeNAS.

I personally use Windows 2008 Core as a NAS/File/Print/Media server now, the speeds are amazingly fast, backup's are built in (If you're looking for that), it has almost no overhead, and if you know what you're doing, you can get it dirt cheap (TechNetPlus, or MSDN). so long as you're not making a profit with it.

Honestly, if you know how to use the MMC, 2k8 core install is the exact same as the normal, you just get a command prompt instead of a start button.

The really sad part of this, you can get Vista Ultimate for a bit more, and it does a lot more, giving you more options (If you disable Aerro/Use Classic GUI it will run on almost no hardware, very well).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116215

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116395

Hey Bart,
I was wondering if you had the time to check out the PowerPack 1 and if it had some benefits for your setup? I'm currently looking to try WHS myself since I've ordered a free 120 days copy on MS website. Also, will it install on any hardware? You don't need the HP mediaserver for it do you? And I'm still confused about using a dedicated RAID card, in this other topic someone mentioned this will be very hard to set up / use?

Hi Matthi,

Yes, I have already installed PP1. Matter of fact, I completely re-installed my WHS because I had already formatted the WHS server, never thinking of ever using it again.

In short: PP1 solves a lot of issues with WHS. It's not a recommended upgrade, in my opinion it's a necessity.

But there are still a some things why I'm not 100% happy. Biggest reason is still Drive Extender. If there would be a way of switching this off and simply using drive letters again, WHS would be an almost perfect product for me. Because now I have the ease of adding drives as I go, but not the speed benefit that RAID could give me. I also have the distinct impression WHS is getting slower with every extra bit I put on those HD's. (not sure about that, this is only an impression)

The backup feature does not work for me. If I try it, I get a BSOD on my desktop machine. But on the other hand, my desktop is way past due for a clean install, so maybe I should try that. I have to admit: I'd like it to hold out a bit more until Intel released its Nehalem CPU's. Once those are released I'll build myself a completely new system and re-install XP while I'm at it.

A dedicated RAID could would not be hard to set up. Every decent RAID card comes with windows 2003 drivers, and these are the ones you'll need for WHS. The only thing is you'd better not use the drive add wizard in WHS anymore then, but add drives to your RAID array as you go. (only the more expensive RAID cards can do this!!) I've thought about doing this, but I would like to use a Velociraptor as my OS disk and a RAID array of 5 TB disks for storage. This would probably not work too good. If you want to use a dedicated RAID card, also put the WHS OS on one of the RAID disks. Then you'll have no problem because WHS will see the RAID array as one big disk.

WHS will install on almost all hardware. You certainly don't need a HP mediaserver for this. I'm running it on a PC which I've put together myself.

I use mythtv and freenas. They work very well on our legacy equipment. I plan to use cheap thin clients as front ends for mythtv around the house.The best part about linux and bsd is you do not have to pay the Microsoft tax just to run your computers or to wait a year for fixes that are still not complete. Mythtv can also act as a home security system, voip, and web server. The web server is nice because then you can run a electronic forum as an alternative or in addition to the refrigerator magnets with notes attached. Which means the family members can check messages while away from home.

Last edited:
Then you'll have no problem because WHS will see the RAID array as one big disk.
Doesn't Microsoft say that RAID is not supported in WHS and actually recommends against using it?

Doesn't Microsoft say that RAID is not supported in WHS and actually recommends against using it?

Yes, they do. Doesn't mean it doesn't work though.
I'm guessing the only reason Microsoft recommends against using it is because if you do use RAID, you won't be using their proprietary Drive Extender technology. So it's simply a case of being a soar loser, nothing more.