What's new

AX58U to AX68U worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barkmarkin

Occasional Visitor
The economy is terrible in Turkey, but I managed to get a deal and get 1000mbps ftth for relatively cheap at my place, Ive had 100mbps before, Its a two bedroom 150 m2 (dunno square feet sorry americans), its around 1500sq ft i think, I get around 450mbps with my iphone 13 pro max in same room, And Ive been looking at used ax68u since the prices for new stuff is through the roof and I cant find a ax86u for a good price, Would bit be worth upgrading to an ax68u or should I wait a bit to get an ax86u?. I dont mind if i get like 50mbps at the farthest corner of the house thats to be expected. But would it make THAT much of a difference? I dont use the 160mhz band on the ax58u. so its useless for me.

Save yourself the possible trouble:

Well i guess I’ll wait for a used ax86u then. Every review of ax68u said its better range than ax58u but i doubt itd be worth the upgrade?

The RT-AX68U has proven to be a great and stable router. I wouldn't generally recommend it for 1Gbps ISP speeds though. But yes, it will make a big difference, in the right environment.

What is the router you're currently using?

And for a 1,500 SqFt area, the RT-AX68U should easily get you more than 50Mbps speeds.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Save yourself the possible trouble:

Wonder what the bug is.

Seems to be an issue with the BCM6710 as a main 5G radio. 6710 via 2.4G has worked relatively fine in other products.

No idea, but it's there and not fixed yet. I believe not all AX68U are affected, but it's a gambling game. Better avoid this model.

It's obviously a client/radio issue via 5G.

They would "all" be impacted. Otherwise you would have AX86U's failing on 2.4G.

It's a dud SoC. :)

RT-AX68U is the only router I find with BCM6710 used for 5GHz. The SoC supports 6GHz as well. No 6E device on the market uses it.

It's a dud SoC. :)

RT-AX68U is the only router I find with BCM6710 used for 5GHz. The SoC supports 6GHz as well. No 6E device on the market uses it.

The likelihood is that ASUS doesn't care about fixing issues on a the only product that uses the 6710 as a main 5G radio.

There were lots of similar issues when BCM43684 and BCM6750/6755 SoCs released in 2018/2019. Later fixed.

This is something common on the consumer market - release the product fast, fix later. Some things never get fixed.

Well i guess I’ll wait for a used ax86u then. Every review of ax68u said its better range than ax58u but i doubt that an ax68u would be THAT much better

Well i guess I’ll wait for a used ax86u then. Every review of ax68u said its better range than ax58u but i doubt that an ax68u would be THAT much better

More like middle of the road.

AX86U = 4x4 5G, 3x3 2.4G
AX68U = 3x3 5G, 3x3 2.4G
AX58U = 2x2 5G, 2x2 2.4G

AX68U is pretty much the same level of hardware as AX86U/S too, just lacks the better 5G radio. 4906 (dual core) vs 4908 (quad core) doesn't really matter for most people IMO.

Besides AX86U will be phased out soon. The older radio and main CPU is EoL. AX86U PRO replaces.

No, it won't be EOL for a few years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!