What's new

How to get the best out of my AX58U? (AX3000) for 1000mbps fiber?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barkmarkin

Occasional Visitor
Hi I've just upgraded from a 100mbps connection to a 1000mbps one and I have An ASUS AX3000 (AX58U) router, It was fine on 100mbps connection but with the 1000mbps I have done a full reset and basic config, My iPhone13 pro max will not exceed 420mbps on speedtest net standing 6-10 feet in front of the router. but wired i get 900+mbps on same server. Even though the client list clearly shows it at tx and rx rate 1200mbps. What else can I change to get the best wi-fi performance out of this router as I live in a 2 bedroom 1200sq ft residential apartment.

I dont want to get a new router or repeater as our currency makes getting a new one very expensive. So I want the best performance I can get out of this. Besides wireless settings, As a router for ftth 1000mbps what settings i should I change to get the most out of this router? I have also tried DTIM interval at 1 and with Target Wake time off. and clearly they have no impact on the speedtest. I keep mu-mimo and explicit beamforming on as the signal drops in the master bedroom bathroom

I tried with dl and ul OFDMA but I heard it increases latency on ax58u and is not optimized so i have them off

Here are my settings for 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz, Also what else would you change besides wireless settings to optimize its internet performance as a router? I disabled STP and QOS etc.

5.0-1.jpg
5.0-2.jpg

2.4-1.jpg
2.4-2.jpg

I have read here that for 5 ghz channel bandwidth can help - I think it helped me - I set it to only 80 mhz and like u 160 mhz is disabled

The RT-AX58U was a good router when it came out (years ago). Today, with your 1Gbps ISP speeds, it's doing the best if can for you.

Today, the RT-AX68U is markedly superior.

The RT-AX58U is a 2x2:2 wireless capable router, while the RT-AX68U is 3x3:3.

For the best 1Gbps wireless speeds, an RT-AX86U (or even better, a GT-AX6000) is required. Both are 4x4:4 routers.

An RT-AX88U may be worthwhile considering too, for purely wireless performance, but that model is now over 3 years old (I would not buy it today).

Hi I've just upgraded from a 100mbps connection to a 1000mbps one and I have An ASUS AX3000 (AX58U) router, It was fine on 100mbps connection but with the 1000mbps I have done a full reset and basic config, My iPhone13 pro max will not exceed 420mbps on speedtest net standing 6-10 feet in front of the router. but wired i get 900+mbps on same server. Even though the client list clearly shows it at tx and rx rate 1200mbps. What else can I change to get the best wi-fi performance out of this router as I live in a 2 bedroom 1200sq ft residential apartment.

I dont want to get a new router or repeater as our currency makes getting a new one very expensive. So I want the best performance I can get out of this. Besides wireless settings, As a router for ftth 1000mbps what settings i should I change to get the most out of this router? I have also tried DTIM interval at 1 and with Target Wake time off. and clearly they have no impact on the speedtest. I keep mu-mimo and explicit beamforming on as the signal drops in the master bedroom bathroom

I tried with dl and ul OFDMA but I heard it increases latency on ax58u and is not optimized so i have them off

Here are my settings for 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz, Also what else would you change besides wireless settings to optimize its internet performance as a router? I disabled STP and QOS etc.

View attachment 44348View attachment 44349
View attachment 44350View attachment 44351
First, go back to the WIFI defaults. Use Dual Band SmartConnect, enable 160 MHz with DFS channels and yes, use auto channel. If you are in a WIFI crowded area you can set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz but leave the 5 GHz to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz.
Trust your router to choose the WIFI channel and bandwidth that it and the clients need. Sounds nuts and others slam me for recommending it but it works! You still may not get a GB WIFI bandwidth but it should be better than your manual WIFI settings.

The RT-AX58U was a good router when it came out (years ago). Today, with your 1Gbps ISP speeds, it's doing the best if can for you.

Today, the RT-AX68U is markedly superior.

The RT-AX58U is a 2x2:2 wireless capable router, while the RT-AX68U is 3x3:3.

For the best 1Gbps wireless speeds, an RT-AX86U (or even better, a GT-AX6000) is required. Both are 4x4:4 routers.

An RT-AX88U may be worthwhile considering too, for purely wireless performance, but that model is now over 3 years old (I would not buy it today).
I only have wireless devices that support 2x2 thats why i didnt get something faster, Also as for my setting are these the best?

First, go back to the WIFI defaults. Use Dual Band SmartConnect, enable 160 MHz with DFS channels and yes, use auto channel. If you are in a WIFI crowded area you can set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz but leave the 5 GHz to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz.
Trust your router to choose the WIFI channel and bandwidth that it and the clients need. Sounds nuts and others slam me for recommending it but it works! You still may not get a GB WIFI bandwidth but it should be better than your manual WIFI settings.
I do not have any devices capable of using 160mhz all i got are ipads and a macbook air

I do not have any devices capable of using 160mhz all i got are ipads and a macbook air
OK, then the router will just go to 80 MHz. My router runs at 80 MHz until a 160 MHz client connects. You will have 160 MHz clients in time.

I only have wireless devices that support 2x2 thats why i didnt get something faster, Also as for my setting are these the best?

What the extra antennae/streams are used for are increased range, and throughput (as possible, in your wireless environment, with your specific client devices and the wireless drivers they're running).

The extra radios and streams are also a good indication of a better RF design, hardware, and drivers, than a 'simple' 2x2:2 setup too.

You bought an 800cc truck to use on the farm, but now you want something that will eat up the road on the autobahn. There is no 2x2:2 solution built to do that. Your router choice has currently limited your fastest possible speeds.

You can simply test if one of the recommended routers offers better performance in your WiFi environment and decide then if there are any benefits, and if there are benefits, if they are worth paying for.

Remember that once you have your new router (if you do decide to go that way), you can sell off the old one to partially cover the new router's cost.

With only 1200 SqFt to cover, the good news is that you will only need one of the suggested routers to achieve great speeds anywhere. If your router is properly located, placed, and orientated within your coverage area (minimum 3 feet around the antennae, minimum 10 feet above ground level, and orientated (rotated) to achieve maximum signal strength and stability too. Btw, with a single level to cover, you will most likely want the antennae straight up (rarely, or one or more slightly tilted off of vertical sometimes helps, depending on the home's construction and location of pipes, electrical, etc).

Well I am wonderin
Your router is adequate for your needs. Just use it and don't stress out about Mbps, especially on mobile devices. Skip upgrade and all on Auto advice. You won't get any real advantages from both.
What do you think of my settingz? Do you think it/ optimized for my environment, ive selected the best channels selected by scanning etc,

have both settings on 2.4 (20mhz) and 5ghz:(20/40/80mhz): mu-mimo on and explicit beamforming on (universal BF is off), target wake time on to save battery, and dtim interval is on as well,

I have ofdma off on both channels since this article says its best to have it off on ax58u

Do you think it/ optimized for my environment, ive selected the best channels selected by scanning etc

I don't know your environment. Leave the router on Auto for a week. Monitor what channel it uses more often for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. This is the channel with more available bandwidth as seen by the router. Lock the channel and hold your grounds. Don't use DFS range for extra Wi-Fi stability. 2.4GHz @20MHz wide, 5GHz @80GHz wide. Disable Smart Connect to prevent VoIP/Video calls interruptions on band change. Make 2.4GHz as compatible as possible:

You have to experiment and find your best settings. There is no universal best settings. If you feel uncomfortable doing it, you have no choice, but rely on Asuswrt default settings. They may not be optimal, but work for most users in most environments. Don't rely on Wi-Fi Analyzer apps - not accurate. You basically observe the environment from your phone and see only APs around, but no bandwidth available per channel. Observe the environment from your router instead. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware has good tool available.

Hello, new here...(not sure if I should post here or make a new topic)

I have an Asus RT-AX58u for my office with separate SSID for 2.4 & 5. The 2.4Ghz SSID works fine on all devices(PC, macbook pro, iPhone, Android etc) but the 5ghz SSID only shows up on one device i.e. my HP Laptop . The Channel is set to Auto (and it selects 36 mostly).

Now I have recently flashed Merlin firmware on it, the above issue with 5Ghz SSID persists. Also another issue I have just noticed is that when I use AmazonPrimeVideo it says cant stream because youre on VPN but I dont have any VPN set up on my router and nor am I using one on my laptop currently; dont know if this is due to Merlin or something else.

Help is appreciated in resolving the 5Ghz matter, thanks!

I have an Asus RT-AX58u for my office with separate SSID for 2.4 & 5. The 2.4Ghz SSID works fine on all devices(PC, macbook pro, iPhone, Android etc) but the 5ghz SSID only shows up on one device i.e. my HP Laptop . The Channel is set to Auto (and it selects 36 mostly).

Now I have recently flashed Merlin firmware on it, the above issue with 5Ghz SSID persists. Also another issue I have just noticed is that when I use AmazonPrimeVideo it says cant stream because youre on VPN but I dont have any VPN set up on my router and nor am I using one on my laptop currently; dont know if this is due to Merlin or something else.

Hmmm… looks like a DFS issue.
I had similar issues with a ROG GT-AX6000 on a 5GHz. That (5GHz) SSID simply didn’t show up 99% of the time on my iPhone Xs or Xr. It would pop up, then disappear.
anyway, disabled the “Auto select channels including DFS channel” and everything works OK now.
YMMV, but try that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmmm… looks like a DFS issue.
I had similar issues with a ROG GT-AX6000 on a 5GHz. That (5GHz) SSID simply didn’t show up 99% of the time on my iPhone Xs or Xr. It would pop up, then disappear.
anyway, disabled the “Auto select channels including DFS channel” and everything works OK now.
YMMV, but try that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tried with DFS, without DFS. and on 160mhz as well on Auto.
It only shows up on one laptop/PC.

Odd behaviors.

Did you reset the firmware to its defaults before you configured it from scratch?

And yes, you should start your own topic instead of polluting another with your troubleshooting.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!