What's new

AX86 Giving Slow Speeds (Brand New)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JChoi

Occasional Visitor
Hey Guys!

I just recently bought a Asus RT-AX86U after reading many reviews of how good it is. I'm currently on Bell Fibe's plan at 1.5 Down 940 Up but the Wifi is horrid on the Bell Hub 3000 (I was only able to get max of 25 Devices connected before the Wifi drops and it'll always be at like 40 mbps).
After Installing the AX86U. I tested my Wifi speed on multiple devices... I feel like it's being capped at 100 mbps. My laptop isn't able to get more than 50mbps... my Note10+ is only getting 80 - 90s mbps.

Screenshot shows that the router is getting the speed of 940 / 940. But how come the wifi 6 / wifi 5 can't get high at all? I've tried 5g and 2.4g.
I took a screenshot of the wifi configurations hopefully someone can help me... I believe QoS is off and Nat is off... I'm on the latest Merlin Firmware.

I'm using the ethernet cable from the box (Not sure if that could be the problem but i doubt it or else that'd be dumb). I've plugged the router into Lan Port 1 - 4 on the Bell Hub 3000 and still getting the slow speed on speedtest.net.

Things I've tried but: (All resulted in the same slow wifi and ethernet speed)
1) Plugged my cat6 cable into the router Directly instead of modem and was getting only 400 mbps instead of 940/940
2) Tested my Wifi6 and Wifi5 devices and was only getting 80 - 90s mbps
3) Turned on and off QoS, NAT, and AiProtection
4) Thought it was a faulty Asus Wireless Router (Exchanged for a new one at Bestbuy)
5) Bought a TP-Link SFP To RJ45 to bypass the Bell Home Hub3000
6) Tested the Wifi right beside the modem and router
7) Changed Channels after using Wifi Analyzer
8) Revert to Older Asus Firmware before Merlin
9) Flashed Merlin Firmware
10) Changed the Mhz Bandwidth for 2.4 and 5ghz

I'm all out of options

Please help.

Attachments

• 20201213_234217.jpg
    20201213_234217.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 368
  • 20201213_235057.jpg
    20201213_235057.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 327
First, did you flash the firmware you want and then reset to factory defaults, and format the JFFS partition on the next boot, each and every time, before you went ahead and configured it minimally and manually. And Ideally, with a new, never before used, SSID?

Secondly, what devices are you using to test with? Did you test with a laptop that was plugged into the AC wall power, while it was on Performance mode?

Thirdly, don't test on the 2.4GHz band. That won't give you anywhere close to the highest speeds you're looking to hit.

Finally, after changing any options, did you at least 'forget' the network on the device used to do the test with, reboot both that device and the router, wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes for the router to fully settle, and then re-associate the device and run a test?

Also, what other features, scripts, or other features/options are you running on the router and/or on other devices (i.e. pi-hole, for example)?

JChoi, From reading your post it sounds like you are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. First of all the AX86U is definitely capable of handling 1 Gigabit Internet from the modem so that question is off the table. The question is what is different about your setup from everyone else who isn't having these issues. First take a look at LL&C's excellent suggestions and make sure you don't have any setup issues or conflicts.

I would suggest that you configure the router with the standard Asus firmware updated to the latest version and using the default settings but without SmartConnect for Wifi with separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID names. Use WPA2 (not WPA3). Make sure your Bell 3000 modem has it's Wifi radios turned off so they don't compete with the Asus for Wifi bandwidth space... and you want to use different Wifi SSIDs than the Bell 3000 was using. Once you get everything running up to speed then you can configure the rest of the router settings to your liking.

I would definitely use a Cat 6 or higher Ethernet cable on the WAN connection (I use Cat 8 with 26 AWG solid core interconnect... It's not that expensive... about $8 USD for 1 meter)... The one that comes with the Asus router isn't the best cable... It's there so users who don't have any extra cable have something. You might have to experiment with configuring the preferred connection using the 1Gb vs. 2.5Gb WAN ports on the Asus. Try using the default settings of the 1Gb WAN port first. There could be compatibility issues using the 2.5Gb with the LAN ports on some modems.

Let us know if any of these suggestions help by posting back with your results. I am sure other users will have more suggestions for you to try.

Last edited:
First, did you flash the firmware you want and then reset to factory defaults, and format the JFFS partition on the next boot, each and every time, before you went ahead and configured it minimally and manually. And Ideally, with a new, never before used, SSID?

Secondly, what devices are you using to test with? Did you test with a laptop that was plugged into the AC wall power, while it was on Performance mode?

Thirdly, don't test on the 2.4GHz band. That won't give you anywhere close to the highest speeds you're looking to hit.

Finally, after changing any options, did you at least 'forget' the network on the device used to do the test with, reboot both that device and the router, wait for at least 10 to 15 minutes for the router to fully settle, and then re-associate the device and run a test?

Also, what other features, scripts, or other features/options are you running on the router and/or on other devices (i.e. pi-hole, for example)?

I flashed the Merlin Firmware and did the Factory reset button via press and holding the Reset button for 10 seconds. I never tried using another SSID that I never used before because I thought this would just definitely be a lot easier without going to all my devices and re-entering them... But this shouldn't make a difference for the ethernet though no? when I plugged in Ethernet i'm only get 400 mbps instead of the 940/ 940. I don't know what you mean format the JFFS Partition. I'm not really savy in this.

Yes the Laptop was plugged into Wall power and on Performance mode.
I tested on the 2.4 and 5.0ghz
I did forget the network and all and tried reconnecting but again it's on the old network's SSID... and my bell hub 3000's Wifi is disabled when testing this.

I haven't done any scripts for the router as I dunno how.

JChoi, From reading your post it sounds like you are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. First of all the AX86U is definitely capable of handling 1 Gigabit Internet from the modem so that question is off the table. The question is what is different about your setup from everyone else who isn't having these issues. First take a look at LL&C's excellent suggestions and make sure you don't have any setup issues or conflicts.

I would suggest that you configure the router with the standard Asus firmware updated to the latest version and using the default settings but without SmartConnect for Wifi with separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID names. Use WPA2 (not WPA3). Make sure your Bell 3000 modem has it's Wifi radios turned off so they don't compete with the Asus for Wifi bandwidth space... and you want to use different Wifi SSIDs than the Bell 3000 was using. Once you get everything running up to speed then you can configure the rest of the router settings to your liking.

I would definitely use a Cat 6 or higher Ethernet cable on the WAN connection (I use Cat 8 with 26 AWG solid core interconnect... It's not that expensive... about $8 USD for 1 meter)... The one that comes with the Asus router isn't the best cable... It's there so users who don't have any extra cable have something. You might have to experiment with configuring the preferred connection using the 1Gb vs. 2.5Gb WAN ports on the Asus. Try using the default settings of the 1Gb WAN port first. There could be compatibility issues using the 2.5Gb with the LAN ports on some modems.

Let us know if any of these suggestions help by posting back with your results. I am sure other users will have more suggestions for you to try.

I'm going to try a different SSID now and check it out.

Smart Connect is off always for me. Bell 3000 modem has wifi radios off.
I'm using the factory asus ethernet cable which reads the 1gbps from the modem. I connected it Via LAN port on the modem.. Should I try plugging it into the WAN port instead of the LAN? On my Router I don't see a WAN Port. Only E / Lan 1-4 / 2.5G. So from the Modem's Lan Port 3 right now is connected to the E port on the back of the router.

So I changed SSID and rebooted the router and chose a Channel with less interference... the problem still exists.
I'm sitting 5 ft away from the router. one picture is 2.4 (Less than 100mbps) the other is 5g

Attachments

• 20201214_101114.jpg
    20201214_101114.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot_20201214-101924_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-101924_Speedtest.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Screenshot_20201214-102013_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-102013_Speedtest.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 230
1) Plugged my cat6 cable into the router Directly instead of modem and was getting only 400 mbps instead of 940/940
You need to fix this problem before looking at the WiFi problems. If you fix this problem your WiFi issue will probably disappear.

On my Router I don't see a WAN Port. Only E / Lan 1-4 / 2.5G. So from the Modem's Lan Port 3 right now is connected to the E port on the back of the router.
Don't connect your modem to the router's LAN port it should go in the WAN port. The WAN port has a blue label and a picture of a planet (which you are probably thinking looks like an "e" - or maybe they changed the picture).

Don't disable NAT.

You need to fix this problem before looking at the WiFi problems. If you fix this problem your WiFi issue will probably disappear.

I don't know what else the problem can be... It's a Cat6 Cable that reads 940/940 through the bell hub modem... but 400mbps on the router. But on the Statistics page You can see that it was WAN 1gbps. So i'm assuming it's not the cable that came with the router... but i'm not 100% sure.

Don't connect your modem to the router's LAN port it should go in the WAN port. The WAN port has a blue label and a picture of a planet (which you are probably thinking looks like an "e" - or maybe they changed the picture).

Don't disable NAT.

I didn't connect it to the Router's Lan port... it's connected into the modems Lan Port into the Routers E Port... which is the Blue E which provides internet. I was thinking If I should plug it in the modems WAN port instead of the Modem's Lan Port.

Did you check wired speeds to exclude issues with the radios (Ethernet to LAN port router)?

I was thinking If I should plug it in the modems WAN port instead of the Modem's Lan Port.
I am not familiar with your modem but I think you would only use its WAN port if you were connecting it to a stand alone modem rather than using the Hub's built in modem. The fact that the Asus is showing 940 Mbps on it's speed test suggests that you have it wired up correctly.

I am not familiar with your modem but I think you would only use its WAN port if you were connecting it to a stand alone modem rather than using the Hub's built in modem. The fact that the Asus is showing 940 Mbps on it's speed test suggests that you have it wired up correctly.
It appears to be this Bell Home Hub 3000 model of modem/wifi router combination with the AX86U plugged into one of the LAN ports of that modem/router. I think the 400Mbps is from the Asus router and the 940Mbps is what the Bell modem/router is showing as it's current throughput.

This setup would be a "double NAT" since it is essentially using two routers with DHCP for the address... according to the Bel support site... the Bel Home Hub defaults to 192.168.2.1 and the AX86U router defaults to 192.168.1.1 (as I remember as default)... so the Asus should show it has been given a DHCP IP address from the Home Hub modem/router in the 192.168.2.x range. Double NAT should work ok except for some reason he says the speed from the Asus router is degraded compared to plugging directly into the Home Hub modem/router.

This looks like some type of compatibility speed issue between the Ethernet ports of the Home Hub and the Asus. It could also be some issue with the Ethernet cable itself but that is less likely.

Last edited:
I don't know what else the problem can be... It's a Cat6 Cable that reads 940/940 through the bell hub modem... but 400mbps on the router. But on the Statistics page You can see that it was WAN 1gbps. So i'm assuming it's not the cable that came with the router... but i'm not 100% sure.

I didn't connect it to the Router's Lan port... it's connected into the modems Lan Port into the Routers E Port... which is the Blue E which provides internet. I was thinking If I should plug it in the modems WAN port instead of the Modem's Lan Port.

JChoi, the Home Hub 3000 appears to be a complete services modem/wifi router... meaning it also can provide data for TV, phone, etc... in addition to internet access. You could try contacting your ISP - Internet Service Provider and tell them you are connecting the Asus router to that modem/router. They might have suggestions about how to optimize the throughput for your Asus router. In the HomeHub configuration there might be a setting to allow the internet data to "pass through" to the Asus router better.

Your setup with the Asus router should work ok. I have a router set up on Verizon Fios (actually Frontier now) fiber with a Verizon provided modem/wifi router combination that is very similar to your equipment setup and an Asus router...essentially using double NAT.. etc.. and it works well. Remember also that if you are using the TV or other services through that Home Hub modem/router then that will take up bandwidth away from your internet for the Asus router.

It appears to be this Bell Home Hub 3000 model of modem/wifi router combination with the AX86U plugged into one of the LAN ports of that modem/router. I think the 400Mbps is from the Asus router and the 940Mbps is what the Bell modem/router is showing as it's current throughput.

This setup would be a "double NAT" since it is essentially using two routers with DHCP for the address... according to the Bel support site... the Bel Home Hub defaults to 192.168.2.1 and the AX86U router defaults to 192.168.1.1 (as I remember as default)... so the Asus should show it has been given a DHCP IP address from the Home Hub modem/router in the 192.168.2.x range. Double NAT should work ok except for some reason he says the speed from the Asus router is degraded compared to plugging directly into the Home Hub modem/router.

This looks like some type of compatibility speed issue between the Ethernet ports of the Home Hub and the Asus. It could also be some issue with the Ethernet cable itself but that is less likely.

If you look at his first screen shot in post #1 you can see the Asus' built-in speed test is showing 939 Mbps. So the Hub to Asus connection appears to be working fine.

Last edited:
If you look at his first screen shot in post #1 you can see the Asus' built-in speed test is showing 939 Mbps. So the Hub to Asus connection appears to be working fine.
Ok, Yes I just went back and looked at that first screen shot. I was just going by what JChoi was telling us about it before. Well then if that is the case you are right. The built in speed test is showing the Hub to Asus connection is working fine. Sometimes in these forums it feels like I'm chasing ghosts.

Last edited:
Did you check wired speeds to exclude issues with the radios (Ethernet to LAN port router)?

Yes This is where I'm getting 400 mbps download and 500 upload MAX. instead of my 940 / 940 when directly connected to Modem.

You got it right about the Speed. I'm not sure what it means with the double NAT or the DHCP IP Address stuff.

JChoi, the Home Hub 3000 appears to be a complete services modem/wifi router... meaning it also can provide data for TV, phone, etc... in addition to internet access. You could try contacting your ISP - Internet Service Provider and tell them you are connecting the Asus router to that modem/router. They might have suggestions about how to optimize the throughput for your Asus router. In the HomeHub configuration there might be a setting to allow the internet data to "pass through" to the Asus router better.

Your setup with the Asus router should work ok. I have a router set up on Verizon Fios (actually Frontier now) fiber with a Verizon provided modem/wifi router combination that is very similar to your equipment setup and an Asus router...essentially using double NAT.. etc.. and it works well. Remember also that if you are using the TV or other services through that Home Hub modem/router then that will take up bandwidth away from your internet for the Asus router.

I will talk to my ISP... I don't use TV as everything is stream now.

Does that mean I bought a Cat6 cable for no reason now? :(

JChoi, I just wanted to point out before that if any other services are running through that full services Home Hub modem/router at the same time you are running those speed tests on the Asus router then you could see a drop in speed for that test... and as it was pointed out before... You shouldn't be using a 2.4Ghz Wifi connection for any internet speed tests.... except to test the quality of your Wifi connections with specific devices. Use a 5Ghz Wifi for your Wifi tests.

Any Wifi speed tests that you run are not only dependent on the router but those also rely on the quality of the device's Wifi that you are using. If that device is only capable of 400Mbps - 500Mbps throughput using 5Ghz Wifi then no matter what router you use that will be your maximum internet speed. You would need to upgrade your devices... for example from an older iPhone to a new iPhone 12 that supports AX/Wifi 6 before you experience full Wifi speeds that the AX86U router is capable of.

Last edited:
If you haven't already, head over to the Bell Canada forums at dslreports, where there is plenty of advice on how to get routers working with these things.

Those Bell gateways seems to be a huge can of worms.

Yes This is where I'm getting 400 mbps download and 500 upload MAX. instead of my 940 / 940 when directly connected to Modem.

This makes zero sense to me. I always get the same speed no matter if I hook up my PC to the modem directly or to the router LAN port, should not matter.
Get a new router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!