What's new

AX86U auto-reboots on Mondays

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevieosaurus

Regular Contributor
RT-AX86U router reboots automatically Monday at 6:00 AM. Merlin firmware version 388.2
I checked in the GUI (Administration -> System) the scheduler is OFF, and in the AMTM I do not even have the reboot scheduler script installed.

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 06-48-40 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U Pro - System.png

I did do a reset & reboot after installing this firmware (388.2). Log file gives absolutely no clue: Log file
Any one else encouter this? Any suggestions where to change it resetting?

Log file gives absolutely no clue: Log file

You have to show the log before May 5 date, the reboot event.

What is your dual WAN load balancing with private IP addresses configuration?

Last edited:
You have to show the log before May 5 date, the reboot event.

What is your dual WAN load balancing with private IP addresses configuration?
Reboot happened today, Monday, 19th of June. As you can see, there were no log entries between May 5th and June 19th, but here: may 5th log
I had Dual WAN turned OFF for months, no idea why it still says about load balancing. Noticed that below it I had "Auto USB Backup WAN" ON, turned that one OFF also.

P.S: I also seem to be missing the "/etc/inadyn.conf" file related to my DDNS, no idea how to recreate it from the GUI, and why it disappeared (file corruption?). Any help would also be appreciated regarding this.

there were no log entries between May 5th and June 19th

May 5 is the default date during boot process before the router gets the time from NTP servers. What's in the logs before the date change to May 5 may reveal the cause of the restart. The cause can be as simple as power surge.

Reboot happened today, Monday, 19th of June. As you can see, there were no log entries between May 5th and June 19th
The date gets temporarily set to May 5th when you reboot. You have to look further back in the log past those entries.

This is more of a generalization, not specific to this router or any router ...

Try to configure this auto reboot at say, an hour from now. Wait for it to reboot at that scheduled time. Disable the scheduler. Then wait to see if it reboots again the next day at 6am, and/or the new time.

Update: found out what was causing this. It was the firewall (Skynet) auto-update. Sometimes it glitches the USB and makes the whole router reboot. I just disabled the auto-update.

Sounds like it's time to ditch the USB key and use an SSD in an external USB enclosure.

Sounds like it's time to ditch the USB key and use an SSD in an external USB enclosure.
I hate to admit it, but you might be right. Using USB flash drives as scratch disks never really made sense.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!