What's new

AX86U Error Message Transferring Files to Network Hard Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeffy3

New Around Here
Installed an ASUS AX86U yesterday. Have a 1TB Seagate Passport hard drive connected to router via usb. It took me a lot of searching online but I finally can now see the passport folders in Windows Explorer, and can play the music in them, look at pictures, etc. But when I try to add a folder via windows transfer I get "an unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file" and error 0x80070032: The request is not supported. Any ideas?

Is it only when creating folders that the problem occurs? What about adding files in an existing folder?

Have you set the shared folder's permissions to R/W for the user that you are using?

Thanks for responding. Neither creating a folder nor adding files to an existing folder works.

When you talk about shared folder permissions, are you talking about right clicking on the folder in windows explorer?

When you talk about shared folder permissions, are you talking about right clicking on the folder in windows explorer?
No, I'm talking about the user accounts and permissions you created on the router when you setup the shared folders.

USB Application - Servers Center - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk
Untitled.png

Oh wow thanks for the picture. When I am in that section of the router it won't let me click on any of the circles under R/W R or No.

Ah, that might be because you have "Allow guest login" (at the top of that page) set to Yes and therefore (theoretically) all users should have R/W access.

Can you post a screen shot of your settings?

I do indeed have Allow guest login checked. When I uncheck it the R/W column is all green dots.

1648927962871.jpeg

Installed an ASUS AX86U yesterday. Have a 1TB Seagate Passport hard drive connected to router via usb. It took me a lot of searching online but I finally can now see the passport folders in Windows Explorer, and can play the music in them, look at pictures, etc. But when I try to add a folder via windows transfer I get "an unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file" and error 0x80070032: The request is not supported. Any ideas?
Seagate and Passport do not go together. Passport is a Western Digital brand.

OK, so you have a 1 TB external drive. If it does not have an external power supply do not use it! The router power supply is not strong enough to power an external hard drive. OK, if it is a SSD, maybe. But the router does not make a good NAS. Spend the bucks on a good NAS or use something like a Raspberry Pi with your 1 TB drive and make your own. You and router will be much happier.

I do indeed have Allow guest login checked. When I uncheck it the R/W column is all green dots.
OK, so it ought to work in both configurations. How is the disk formatted (when connected to a PC)? There have been issues in the past with NTFS formatted drives where the NTFS permissions were the problem.

Do you have another USB drive (just a simple flash drive) that you can freshly format and plug into the router? Just to see if that works OK.

When I connect the hard drive directly to the laptop I can add to folders, etc. The disk is formatted NATFS.

Jeffy3 where did you find instructions to see the folders in Windows? I'm searching for that now.

Has anyone able to fix this issue?.

I tried on two laptops with windows 11 and phone with the correct credentials and R/W already ticked on the permission. But I can't still write on the disk. I can only copy from the NAS to my PC but not from my PC to the NAS folder. I can however copy from another flashdrive plugged on the router to my external desktop harddrive plugged on the router too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!