What's new

AX86U, Kindle won't connect to 2.4GHz/WPA2.

  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

    SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

    Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

    The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AStaUK

Occasional Visitor
I've just purchased the AX86U to replace my 68U which has served me well for many years, but I'm struggling to get my Kindle (7th gen) and Sony Android TV to connect to the 2.4GHz channel using WPA2. 2.4/WPA2 is working on an older iPad, a low end Galaxy and my laptop but I can't seem to get the two previously mentioned devices to connect, I've turned off AX, tried WPS and changing the channel bandwidth to 20MHz, I've tried turning off the 5GHz channel, recreating the SSID but nothing so far has worked.

The AX86U is running the latest firmware and I've restored factory defaults as well as doing a hard reset using the WPS button, both devices are running their latest updates and I'm not seeing any entries in the logs to give me a clue as to what is going on. The 5GHz network is using WPA2/WPA3 and is working fine with the devices connected to it.

Has anyone come across this before or able to give me some ideas of what else I can look at/try?

Thanks in advance.
 
I've just purchased the AX86U to replace my 68U which has served me well for many years, but I'm struggling to get my Kindle (7th gen) and Sony Android TV to connect to the 2.4GHz channel using WPA2. 2.4/WPA2 is working on an older iPad, a low end Galaxy and my laptop but I can't seem to get the two previously mentioned devices to connect, I've turned off AX, tried WPS and changing the channel bandwidth to 20MHz, I've tried turning off the 5GHz channel, recreating the SSID but nothing so far has worked.

The AX86U is running the latest firmware and I've restored factory defaults as well as doing a hard reset using the WPS button, both devices are running their latest updates and I'm not seeing any entries in the logs to give me a clue as to what is going on. The 5GHz network is using WPA2/WPA3 and is working fine with the devices connected to it.

Has anyone come across this before or able to give me some ideas of what else I can look at/try?

Thanks in advance.

Some 2.4 settings:
mode Auto
20 MHz bw
disable Universal Beamforming
disable Airtime Fairness
use an simple alphanumeric SSID, like ssid or ssid24

Delete and recreate the client connection, and cycle power.
Are you using a USB 3.0 HDD?
Remove any close 2.4 GHz cordless devices.

OE
 
I've just purchased the AX86U to replace my 68U which has served me well for many years, but I'm struggling to get my Kindle (7th gen) and Sony Android TV to connect to the 2.4GHz channel using WPA2. 2.4/WPA2 is working on an older iPad, a low end Galaxy and my laptop but I can't seem to get the two previously mentioned devices to connect, I've turned off AX, tried WPS and changing the channel bandwidth to 20MHz, I've tried turning off the 5GHz channel, recreating the SSID but nothing so far has worked.

The AX86U is running the latest firmware and I've restored factory defaults as well as doing a hard reset using the WPS button, both devices are running their latest updates and I'm not seeing any entries in the logs to give me a clue as to what is going on. The 5GHz network is using WPA2/WPA3 and is working fine with the devices connected to it.

Has anyone come across this before or able to give me some ideas of what else I can look at/try?

Thanks in advance.
The two Kindles in this household connect very well. The only client that I had trouble with is an old 32 bit iPod.

My WIFI settings: Smart Connect enabled. 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz auto channel, 5 GHz at 20/40/80/160 MHz auto channel, WPA2/WPA3-personal, WPS disabled and the rest of the WIFI settings at default.
For the old iPod and IoT clients I set up a Guest 1 2.4 GHz with just WPA2-personal and a different SSID from the main settings.
I let my WIFI clients, except for the old iPod and IoT clients, choose which WIFI channel they want to connect to. I let the router choose which channels it wants to use as my neighbors WIFI seems to switch channels every couple of days. I have a couple of Roku's that use WIFI remotes that do not like DFS channels. My 5 GHz runs at 80 MHz most of the time but switches to 160 MHz when an AX client connects.

This works well for me.

Trust your router to choose the channels and bandwidth on 5 GHz that works best.
 
Thanks for the replies, I tried adjusting the settings @OzarkEdge suggested as well as changing the SSID to a alphanumeric string but no change.

I ended up doing a hard reset and set the wireless up using a new SSID/PSK and enabling Smart Connect, everything working fine now. Still not sure what was wrong.
 

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online

Top