What's new

AX86U or Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your AX86S is still waiting for you at CAD200. :)
Price different here between RT-AX86U and GT-AX6000 is $200CAD these days.

I still prefer the upright form factor of the RT-AX86U.

GT-AX6000 was on sale for CAD380 few weeks back. I'm not bringing this ugly thing home though, no way.

Awww - its purdey in purple and green ... :rolleyes: ...
gt-ax6000-eva.png

o_O

The RT-AX86U Pro has DDR4 RAM the RT-AX86U is DDR3.

1676599099551.png

Wonder how a blanket would affect the radios on a GT-AX6000?
No way the fugly thing is going to be on display.

Wonder how a blanket would affect the radios on a GT-AX6000?

Fabric blanket will have no effect on Wi-Fi, but may have effect on cooling. Routers are passively cooled devices relying on convection. GT-AX6000 is ugly indeed, but another router with the same hardware will be available at some point - RT-AX88U Pro. It looks more like a router and less like a toy. I don't think you need to upgrade coming from RT-AX86U. Only if you want to play with the new Pro firmware, but it won't be officially released any time soon.

Last edited:
with different radios, has anyone compared range on the pro to the base model? i have 1 outlier device that could use a stronger signal.
. . . just wondering.

Price different here between RT-AX86U and GT-AX6000 is $200CAD these days.

I still prefer the upright form factor of the RT-AX86U.
You are a man of taste.

LOL! Didn't last too long tho... a recent price drop had me pick up one. RT-AX86U's everywhere else tho...
yep, todays' price of $180 is a great buy! i was lucky enough to get an ob for just under $200 about a year ago. it's been a great replacement for my retired ac86u but i'll still be keeping my eye out for a pro for the "right" price.

:). . . enjoy.

I just got RT-AX86U Pro.

Changes i noticed are:
- DDR4 RAM instead of DDR3
- Better CPU, on less nanometers, faster clocks
- New Radio
- No option to turn on JUMBO FRAMES for LAN switch

Are jumbo frames by default turned on on this new version ? as 2.5Gbit/s port needs jumbo frames for faster performance.
I am also missing information if 2.5GbE port has new hardware, it is now based on intel ? or is still realtek ? or it's not intergrated into CPU ?

I've found some new information, all PHY's are intergrated to CPU itself:
BCM4912.png

For jumbo frames i found forum thread here:

Last edited:
Today i also tested jumbo frame support.
Original version of AX86U does support jumbo frames, while the pro version doesn't ?

Pro version is worse than original unless there's a bug in current firmware ? that doesn't show to enable jumbo frames in UI ?

More here:

Today i also tested jumbo frame support.
Original version of AX86U does support jumbo frames, while the pro version doesn't ?

Pro version is worse than original unless there's a bug in current firmware ? that doesn't show to enable jumbo frames in UI ?

More here:
nothing like bumping up a 2 year old thread.....

I do not consider the GT-AX6000 as a successor to the RT-AX86U, as it`s in a totally different price bracket, and also it`s part of their ROG product line. The RT-AX86U_Pro is the actual successor to it, and should be priced close to what the RT-AX86U initially was launched at.
And the GT-AX6000 looks like an escapee from a Transformer toy box rather than a professional piece of hardware. (Not that other ASUS routers look much better.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!