What's new

AX86U-PRO - USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Giuliano

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone.
I'm not an expert but I need some help.
I have used an RT-AC68U with satisfaction since 2015 and I kept it updated with Merlin firmware but, unfortunately, after the last firmware update, it was afflicted by the low free NVRAM error and, having understood that it was now starting to be obsolete, I bought a new AX86U PRO. And here the pain begins.
I configured the AX86U PRO to mirror the AC68U but I have problems with the attached 2TB disk and the configuration of SAMBA network resources.
While configuring the USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk exactly in the same way it seems that nothing is activated with AX86U PRO. No resource is visible neither from Windows nor from Android while if I reconnect the old AC68U everything works fine.
I have read several posts in the Forum about the SMB configuration problem on AX86U but they all concerned some parameter not configured either on the router (SMBv1 - SMBv2 - account names) or on the PC (SMBv1 or network credentials).
In my case everything is configured in the same way: the disk is the same, the PC is the same, the configuration is the same... only the router changes! Is there a bug in the firmware?
Haven't tried the stock firmware yet.
I have a doubt: I have configured both routers mirroringly so I have the same internal and external IP address and the same login name (admin) and password. Does this fact imply something with the network credentials on windows 10 when the mounted router changes?
Any other suggestions?

Hello, I am currently also struggling with the RT-ac68U after updating the merlin firmware to the latest version. Besides, I think I'll buy RT-ac86u PRO tomorrow and have fun too ;). Today I'm sitting for a good few hours restoring the functionality of the RT-ac68U to the original with the latest Merlin firmware. Now I managed to control everything except the firewall and DLNA running on a 3TB drive with music and movies. As for samba, try adding a new user to some resource temporarily (you can remove it later, it might solve the problem). I had the same and it helped.

Hello, I am currently also struggling with the RT-ac68U after updating the merlin firmware to the latest version. Besides, I think I'll buy RT-ac86u PRO tomorrow and have fun too ;). Today I'm sitting for a good few hours restoring the functionality of the RT-ac68U to the original with the latest Merlin firmware. Now I managed to control everything except the firewall and DLNA running on a 3TB drive with music and movies. As for samba, try adding a new user to some resource temporarily (you can remove it later, it might solve the problem). I had the same and it helped.
Thank's but I've Fixed: I didn't think so, but after adding a new windows credential [192.168.2.1 - name and password] the disk is visible again. Now there remains another problem with Download Master: "Connection denied by 192.168.2.1"
Also for this, I can imagine having to delete the Config folder in Download2 present on the disk itself but I don't know

Delete the contents of the "asusware.arm" and "download2" directories from the disk and reinstall.

Now there remains another problem with Download Master...
It should be noted that Download Master has it's issues and problems. Use the forum search to find past discussions on Asus's Download Master. When using Asus-Merlin firmware, one may want to consider using Transmission instead. From the Asus-Merlin Wiki:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Installing-Transmission-through-Entware
Asus's DownloadMaster suffers from various issues: old versions of Transmission and OpenSSL, no way to disable aMule which will hog all your bandwidth, etc...

I recommend uninstalling Download Master, and manually setting up Transmission through Entware instead. This will bring various benefits:
  1. Better performance overall
  2. Magnet link support
  3. Most people don't care about aMule or NZBGet - that will cut through the fat.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!